1.    #1  
    I have a Sprint Novatel USB (U760) aircard (works well with my LT) and will be purchasing an HP TouchPad.
    Can I adapt the USB aircard to the TP and then connect to the net from the TP by going thru the aircard?
    My carrier is AT&T.

Thanx for any advice.

Regards
    C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopherlea View Post
    I have a Sprint Novatel USB (U760) aircard (works well with my LT) and will be purchasing an HP TouchPad.
    Can I adapt the USB aircard to the TP and then connect to the net from the TP by going thru the aircard?
    My carrier is AT&T.

Thanx for any advice.

Regards
    C.
    No, this would not work. The Touchpad would have to have software that would recognize the USB device and a dialing mechanism in that software. You'd be better off getting something like a wifi router for usb modems that would create your own hotspot. I think Aluratek sells them.
    Take a look at Cradlepoint. The PHS300 is a battery/AC powered pocket-sized WiFi hotspot that is certified with most USB cellular modems.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dan Donovan
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    It probably isn't what you have in mind, but you likely could plug the Aircard into a laptop and connect, then set up an ad-hoc wi-fi network on the laptop and connect the TouchPad to that. Obviously, that would have the big disadvantage of requiring that the laptop be within wi-fi range of the TouchPad.

Hooking the Aircard (or any other USB devices) directly to the TouchPad is unlikely to be possible. At least at this point, there has been no indication that the TouchPad will have USB-host capabilities.

-Jeff
    My solution for data and voice on the touchpad centers around the Veer or Pre 3. Take voice calls and SMS texts on the TP with the builtin features HP has promoted using a bluetooth connection between my TP and my Veer/Pre 3, whilst sharing the 3G data connection on the Veer/Pre 3 using freetether/MHS. Huge advantage of GSM networks over CDMA is the simultanious voice and data connectivity.

Battery life on the Veer/Pre 3 will likely be poor while using ft/mhs, but this should work for intermittent voice/data needs while mobile with the TP.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Hey TTB,

In that regard, whats the word on tethering on AT&T without a specific tethering plan? Will they catch you and charge you a billion dollars? Or is it one of those "just don't do it too much and you should be OK" kind of things?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey TTB,

In that regard, whats the word on tethering on AT&T without a specific tethering plan? Will they catch you and charge you a billion dollars? Or is it one of those "just don't do it too much and you should be OK" kind of things?
    You know you are boxing me into a corner with this question, don't you?
    I really can't answer this question, but I will share my personal opinion which in no way represents the policy or position of AT&T or any carrier.

A). We know that not all carriers charge for tethering.
    B). Carriers have the right to take legal action in the event they detect fraudulent use of their network.
    C). When unauthorized tethering is detected, a majority of wireless carriers have limited their response to simply billing for the unauthorized usage by the kilobyte or by adding an appropriate tethering data plan to the account moving forward.
    D). Mobile Hot Spot colors tethering data using PPP, therefore the carriers have a means to monitor, detect, and if desired, charge for tethering data usage.
    E). I've been told freetether does not color tethering data. When using it for tethering, the tethered data looks the same as smartphone data to the carriers.
    F). I have no personal knowledge of anyone who has used freetether for the purpose of tethering their laptop to their smartphone being identified, charged or prosecuted by any carrier for tethering data usage.

My personal opinion based on many years of experience in the telecommunications industry is that I believe most people who have a personal need to use tethering occasionally do so prudently, with no intention of abusing the privlege or defrauding the carriers.

1). Anyone who requires tethering more than just occasionally or needs to tether for business purposes should justifiably be paying their carrier for a suitable tethering data package.

2). As long as one isn't abusing the ability to tether without coloring their tethered data by using it more than just occasionally, or by using it for financial gain ie; business purposes, the likelyhood carriers will begin to take action is minimal.

Here's the closest I can come to answer what you ask:

Having the ability to tether occasionally as needed or in an emergency will probably not illicit a reaction from one's carrier.

Abusing that privlege by tethering mega GB per month is nothing other than fraud and will likely generate a red flag with the carrier.

If the level of fraud is high enough, you can bet the carriers will devise a way to monitor and separate it for billing purposes.

In respect to detection of tethering data usage by applications forwarding tethered data so it looks the same as regualr smartphone data, personally I have no knowledge of any effort underway to pursue or prosecute that type of usage, YET.

Keep in mind your browser type is easily identifiable and although it can easily be spoofed to represent another browser,it is just one of many ways the carrier can identify the type of data usage.

Bottom line here, don't abuse or overuse the privlege we have right now with occasional tethering use, or things will change!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Wow, thanks for the honest and detailed response! I didn't mean to corner you with the question, haha... well... maybe I did. haha. Either way, thank you very much! I really appreciate the complete and honest response you gave.

I figured those were kind of the "understood" rules of tethering. I plan to switch to AT&T soon and the only thing I'll miss is tethering without a problem on Sprint. I definitely don't plan to tether so I can torrent blurays or anything, I just want to know if its alright if Im waiting for the bus or something I can use my touchpad instead of my Pre 3 to check up on PreCentral or something.

As long as its not an instant red flag the second you move one byte via tethering, then I guess its OK.

Thank you again for your response!

Also: Sorry OP for hijacking your thread.