Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 109
  1.    #1  
    So my town has 2 wal marts. After reading on PC that Wal Mart had live mocks of the units, I headed down to my local one and found nothing there. As I was driving across the other side of my town, I decided to just take a peek at the other wal mart in the city, and sure enough, a touch pad was demoed.

    Here are my quick thoughts. First, for the negatives:

    - The hardware....not so high quality in my opinion. The shell was very "plasticky" and did not feel very sturdy. It already had a large amount of scratches in the back because of the material it is made of. STRONGLY recommend a case or at least one of the full body Zagg protectors.
    - It seems a little thick. But then again, I consistently work with iPad 2's and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1's, which are both very, very thin. I'm sure it's not actually that bad. But just something to point out.

    Now the pro's (yes, because the two above are really the only bad things I saw in my 35 minutes with it)

    - It is FAST. I don't see why people complain about lag. It is VERY fast and very competitive in speed. I was very happy with it.
    - The touch screen is extremely responsive. Not quite as responsive at the one of iPad but more responsive than any other tablet I know of.
    - The screen quality is great. I have spent A LOT of time with tablets of all kinds and this is the best display I have seen. (this can be very subjective, though)
    - WebOS is MEANT for that screen ratio. Those of you that don't approve of the screen ratio, and wanted it to be 16:9 instead... well webOS just works on the TP's screen ratio. I personally own a XOOM now, and I am telling you that it just would not work half as well on that ratio. It is beautiful the way it is.
    - Pictures app was awesome.
    - I tried the CALL, SMS, AND MMS FORWARDING.... it works 100% PERFECT. I called one of my iPad crazy friends, and I asked them how I sounded. He said great. I told him "I am talking to you through a touchpad." He said: "no way. you can't do that." So I took a picture of it, sent it to him, and he didn't reply :-)
    - Notifications are perfect, as usual.
    - SO SO SO SO SO SO SO GLAD that HP decided to re-incorporate some of the "up" gestures. It makes the tablet worth it even more. I never used the center button, which is good because if I wanted to use that, I would get an iPad.
    - The Angry Birds effect on the cards is AWESOME. HA! I thought that simply flicking them away was fun.... man this is so much better. Now I pull the card down, and just let it go and it just flies off the screen. It's so much fun.
    - The keyboard works great.


    Everything was as good as HP says if not better, with the exception of the outer shell. I just didn't really like that. I spent some good time with it, and even took a video, but I am having trouble uploading it to youtube. Most likely because it is a 10:30 video.... Forgot about limits.

    However, if you have any questions, ask! I opened almost every application! :-)
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    - I tried the CALL, SMS, AND MMS FORWARDING.... it works 100% PERFECT. I called one of my iPad crazy friends, and I asked them how I sounded. He said great. I told him "I am talking to you through a touchpad." He said: "no way. you can't do that." So I took a picture of it, sent it to him, and he didn't reply :-)
    If you sent your friend a picture, surely you can share that picture with the rest of us?
  3. #3  
    quickoffice on it? View only or full editing?
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
  4. #4  
    Can you please upload this video tonight!!! When you do make sure you post a link ASAP! I didn't pre-order because I want to play with it first but man, I'm getting excited. If the hardware on the outside is the only problem you saw then I think we are going to be fine because I'm positive the Touchpad2/Opal will be lighter/faster than the first generation. Good job man!
  5. #5  
    P.S. What town did you find the demos in? Just curious!
  6. ray1b's Avatar
    Posts
    431 Posts
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    #6  
    Was their an HP Play app?
  7. #7  
    can you slingshot windows?
  8. #8  
    so you can take calls on the wifi model?
  9. #9  
    I posted a similar review earlier, but it never showed up. Maybe that's because I'm a newbie.

    Anyway, I did a long, long demo with one at a Best Buy today myself. I agree with you that the screen is nice, but I think the thickness and heaviness is a much more serious problem than you do. Compared to the iPad 2 and Galaxy 10.1, I think the average consumer will find the size and weight of the Touchpad a deal-breaker.

    I also experienced tons of lag in pretty much everything but the Launcher itself. The software was nowhere near as smooth as Honeycomb or iOS on the iPad 2. I'm a longtime, dedicated Pre Minus user, but I was very disappointed in my experience with it connected to a very solid WiFi signal.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    so you can take calls on the wifi model?
    yes, you can. that was what was demo'd at think beyond in Feb.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    quickoffice on it? View only or full editing?
    Quick Office preinstalled, yes. However, only a viewer.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by icicle1906 View Post
    Can you please upload this video tonight!!! When you do make sure you post a link ASAP! I didn't pre-order because I want to play with it first but man, I'm getting excited. If the hardware on the outside is the only problem you saw then I think we are going to be fine because I'm positive the Touchpad2/Opal will be lighter/faster than the first generation. Good job man!
    I am trying! But i am having a lot of trouble. I will try again tomorrow. I will go make another video.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by icicle1906 View Post
    P.S. What town did you find the demos in? Just curious!
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    Was their an HP Play app?
    No. I looked for that. But the music player was great. And the audio was AMAZING (for a tablet). Even without headphones!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    can you slingshot windows?
    Yes. Absolutely. And it is super fun.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    so you can take calls on the wifi model?
    Yes. One of my favorite features. It was great. But of course, you must be connected to a webOS phone. I don't know if anything below 2.0 will work. The touchpad was specific, however, in saying that:

    "if you have a webOS phone, you can forward your messages and calls to touchpad"
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerguy View Post
    I posted a similar review earlier, but it never showed up. Maybe that's because I'm a newbie.

    Anyway, I did a long, long demo with one at a Best Buy today myself. I agree with you that the screen is nice, but I think the thickness and heaviness is a much more serious problem than you do. Compared to the iPad 2 and Galaxy 10.1, I think the average consumer will find the size and weight of the Touchpad a deal-breaker.

    I also experienced tons of lag in pretty much everything but the Launcher itself. The software was nowhere near as smooth as Honeycomb or iOS on the iPad 2. I'm a longtime, dedicated Pre Minus user, but I was very disappointed in my experience with it connected to a very solid WiFi signal.
    I had a great experience. You may want to check out another unit. I only experienced lag in the calendar, and that was because it was "synergizing" lol. It was loading all the accounts. I have had more lag on my honeycomb tablet, although I will say I only spent about 35 minutes with touchpad.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    yes, you can. that was what was demo'd at think beyond in Feb.
    I'm ashamed to admit that I have no idea how MMS, much less calls, are possible at all, much less on a demo unit. They don't even have wifi (for the most part) so how do those calls through?

    Nice first impressions, everyone here who's had a chance to play with a demo unit have done much better than a lot of those "reviewers" out there, who have never even touched one!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    can you slingshot windows?
    Explain? Never heard of it, but it sure sounds fun!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I'm ashamed to admit that I have no idea how MMS, much less calls, are possible at all, much less on a demo unit. They don't even have wifi (for the most part) so how do those calls through?

    Nice first impressions, everyone here who's had a chance to play with a demo unit have done much better than a lot of those "reviewers" out there, who have never even touched one!
    You take your Pre 2 and connect it via BLUETOOTH to the touchpad and the touchpad will ask if you want calls and sms to come through! It's quite genius, really.

    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Explain? Never heard of it, but it sure sounds fun!
    On your pre or pixi, if you pull down on a card and let go, it goes to full screen as the active application. Well now, if you pull down on the card and let go, it will fly off the top of the screen, like a slingshot effect. Kind of like an angry birds thing. I hope this kinda explains it!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions