Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Have fun with another "me too" tablet. Not everybody likes the iPAD either but they still sell them by the millions apparently. I love webOS and can't wait to get my hands on this tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    Don't like it, the acer iconia a500 right next to it with honeycomb is more polished and better
    A friend of mine got one of these for Father's day and I was pretty surprised how well it performs. If I were to buy an Android tablet today (not a fan of Honeycomb) I think i'd rather pay 50$ more for the galaxy 10.1, but on its own the Iconia is a pretty nifty tablet.
    Maaaan, my (stupid) Walmart HAD a Touchpad, but it was behind glass. Woo! That really lets the customer experience it! Plus, it was right next to the other clones, with only the iPad on an end. I almost walked right passed it. Curses.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rothoof View Post
    I opened it there wasn't anything there, just a pop-out tray
    hmmm. interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
    A friend of mine got one of these for Father's day and I was pretty surprised how well it performs. If I were to buy an Android tablet today (not a fan of Honeycomb) I think i'd rather pay 50$ more for the galaxy 10.1, but on its own the Iconia is a pretty nifty tablet.
    The price is right on it, and it performs really well, I have quickoffice pro on it now as well, $14.99 to quickoffice.
    In fact I am making an inventory at my office all on my tablet. Got a targus case designed for it and it works really well. Yes it is a bit heavy but it is a lot lighter than my 12" laptop (not a netnook, an HP tablet PC in fact). Plus I can charge my phone off of the usb port that is full sized(and rather unique!)

oh and I have a working microSD card slot (lookin at you xoom), and touchpad....has nothing.

now this is about touchpad, but also walmart.

Walmart had Acer iconia A500, Blackberry playbook (what a piece of garbage with lack of any apps), Xoom, touchpad and the new Vizio has a placeholder spot and says coming next week.

Oh yea they had an ipad2 as well, I don't care anything about that

the Xoom was the dog of the pack there, the screen didn't look good, it was sluggish, and it has notable issues in SD slot, and priced too high, the playbook is priced too high for its size, and the Touchpad looks good, but doesn't 'feel' so good, it seems like they used plastic instead of metal for weight reasons, but it would have felt better with metal, price IMO is a bit high, but at least it is unique. Vizio may be a game changer if it comes in at $299 like is possible. Note the vizio won't be a 7, or a 10, it looks to be 8.x screen.
    Last edited by Steph3n; 06/27/2011 at 02:42 AM.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    I opened it there wasn't anything there, just a pop-out tray
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    hmmm. interesting.
    yes, very interesting. rothoof gave just enough info to tease us - but not enough to give those of us who are buying the wifi only models any clue whether there's a chance we'll be able to Frankenize our WiFi TP's into 3G models later on.

If there's an empty pci-express slot located on the wifi TP's main board just about under where the SIM tray pops out, then it may be possible to do that later on.

I'm hoping he logs in and provides us with more details soon.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Is there an empty slot on the main board where the 3g/GPS add on board would go?
    The tray didn't come all the way out. Only enough to put a sim card in it and push it back in. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but I couldn't see inside the casing.
    They didn't have it on display at all, I asked and they pulled it out of the box and charged it for a little bit and handed it to me. I got to play with it for a bit, and the person there seemed genuinely interested in the platform after I showed him some of the features. His impression went from, "I like android phones but regular consumers want ipad's because they're better for now", to, "Wow, that's a very interesting platform". He also thought the Blackberry Playbook ran the same operating system, which is why he said he wasn't interested in the touchpad very much at first. I can't blame him really, they're very similar looking.

Impressions: The weight is ok, I have a first gen ipad and didn't notice a huge difference between holding the two, and would easily be ok with the HP touchpad. I do agree that customers looking at ipad 2's will be slightly turned off by the weight and thickness. I'll also say they should have used a rubber satin-touch back like on the pre's. It would have just felt much better. I think if the next version of this device is a bit slimmer and lighter, with a rubberized back, it will be very competitive with the market. I'll add though, these can only get so thin from a functional standpoint, and some girth may actually make them easier to hold and use compared with weight.

Speed: I cannot complain about the speed, things seemed to open fairly quickly and efficiently, and I didn't really feel there was much lag using the device. It was certainly not slower than my first gen ipad. Which considering I was opening multiple apps at once is fairly impressive. The ipad 2 feels faster, but I will say that webOS 3 feels much better than honeycomb, so that's definately good.

I did notice that the switch between portrait and landscape didn't seem to work very well. It seems to trigger the switch too early, and I think HP should allow the user to adjust the sensitivity.

I didn't get a chance to really mess with the apps, the one I really wanted to try was the pdf viewer. I really hope HP got this right because if this thing can't read books/documents effectively it's doomed.

It's a nice device, the price is about the only thing stopping me from purchasing it currently. I can't justify buying this over an ipad 2 despite the OS niceties. The lack of rear camera, the weight, the dirth of useful applications, and the exact same pricing combine to just make it less alluring. I would probably grab one on sale at closer to $399 though. I think it likely it will come to that, because I don't think the touchpad is going to sell well. The average consumer has no reason to buy one, and more importantly, HP so far has done a poor job illustrating to the public why they would want one.

I have a feeling HP priced this the same as the ipad because of reasons nobody has stated. The common theories are,
    1) They truly believe it to be as useful and desirable as an ipad 2
    2) If they price it lower it will be viewed by consumers as less valuable.

I think the real answer is that consumers want the prices on these devices to remain static and easily knowable. They're something reassuring about Apple's pricing, they don't tend to raise prices on new generations of the same product, so consumers can rely on buying one for an agreed upon price. If HP launched at 399 as the base for 16GB wifi model, it leaves them somewhat stuck there on future versions, which might be too slim of a margin. So I think the price was a forward thinking decision, it might upset people now, but make more sense in a year or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbgsu View Post
    They didn't have it on display at all, I asked and they pulled it out of the box and charged it for a little bit and handed it to me. I got to play with it for a bit, and the person there seemed genuinely interested in the platform after I showed him some of the features. His impression went from, "I like android phones but regular consumers want ipad's because they're better for now", to, "Wow, that's a very interesting platform". He also thought the Blackberry Playbook ran the same operating system, which is why he said he wasn't interested in the touchpad very much at first. I can't blame him really, they're very similar looking.

Impressions: The weight is ok, I have a first gen ipad and didn't notice a huge difference between holding the two, and would easily be ok with the HP touchpad. I do agree that customers looking at ipad 2's will be slightly turned off by the weight and thickness. I'll also say they should have used a rubber satin-touch back like on the pre's. It would have just felt much better. I think if the next version of this device is a bit slimmer and lighter, with a rubberized back, it will be very competitive with the market. I'll add though, these can only get so thin from a functional standpoint, and some girth may actually make them easier to hold and use compared with weight.

Speed: I cannot complain about the speed, things seemed to open fairly quickly and efficiently, and I didn't really feel there was much lag using the device. It was certainly not slower than my first gen ipad. Which considering I was opening multiple apps at once is fairly impressive. The ipad 2 feels faster, but I will say that webOS 3 feels much better than honeycomb, so that's definately good.

I did notice that the switch between portrait and landscape didn't seem to work very well. It seems to trigger the switch too early, and I think HP should allow the user to adjust the sensitivity.

I didn't get a chance to really mess with the apps, the one I really wanted to try was the pdf viewer. I really hope HP got this right because if this thing can't read books/documents effectively it's doomed.

It's a nice device, the price is about the only thing stopping me from purchasing it currently. I can't justify buying this over an ipad 2 despite the OS niceties. The lack of rear camera, the weight, the dirth of useful applications, and the exact same pricing combine to just make it less alluring. I would probably grab one on sale at closer to $399 though. I think it likely it will come to that, because I don't think the touchpad is going to sell well. The average consumer has no reason to buy one, and more importantly, HP so far has done a poor job illustrating to the public why they would want one.

I have a feeling HP priced this the same as the ipad because of reasons nobody has stated. The common theories are,
    1) They truly believe it to be as useful and desirable as an ipad 2
    2) If they price it lower it will be viewed by consumers as less valuable.

I think the real answer is that consumers want the prices on these devices to remain static and easily knowable. They're something reassuring about Apple's pricing, they don't tend to raise prices on new generations of the same product, so consumers can rely on buying one for an agreed upon price. If HP launched at 399 as the base for 16GB wifi model, it leaves them somewhat stuck there on future versions, which might be too slim of a margin. So I think the price was a forward thinking decision, it might upset people now, but make more sense in a year or so.
    Thanks for the nice review, pretty down to earth and good, plus hit all the good points or hard points that everyone turns away. People always say H/P is not for hardware but software, but I think hardware should be competitive too. I heard from people saying calendar is laggy, is that true?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I didn't get a chance to try and put any of my personal accounts on the device because I was afraid it would die before I took them off, so better safe than sorry. Imagine all my email randomly getting deleted as the people of wal-mart ravage that touchpad That said, I'm sure we'll start seeing reviews pop up this week, since clearly units have been available for at least a week or so now. I'm especially looking forward to the thisismynext review, since Josh Topolsky likes webOS but is a bit of realist compared with precentral and webosroundup, who sort of gloss over the downsides. Plus Dieter works there now so that should be interesting.

If I was to predict it, it will get a solid 8, probably with counts against the hardware and app selection but the plus side being the webOS interface on the tablet and some other niceties (like bluetooth sharing). I think the touchpad could easily outsell the Android devices on the market if HP advertised for it. But the nature of the advertisements are critical. They're trying to sell the HP experience when instead they should focus on one concrete feature per commercial. People like iOS because the commercials teach them how to use it. The xoom commercials just show some dude breaking a laptop into a tablet. See the difference?
    Josh Topolsky lost all interest for WebOS after the Veer. He's completely slid firmly inside Apple's pants now anyway, so he isn't worth reading.

I would, however, very much like to read a review from Dieter.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Josh Topolsky lost all interest for WebOS after the Veer. He's completely slid firmly inside Apple's pants now anyway, so he isn't worth reading.

I would, however, very much like to read a review from Dieter.
    wrong just a week or two ago he tweeted saying how he wishes he had a pre3 right about now.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    wrong just a week or two ago he tweeted saying how he wishes he had a pre3 right about now.
    Yep. Topolsky is a technologist; his preference for a particular tech is going to change based on what he's doing at the moment. So one day he'll love Apple and the next HP or Google or whomever. I'd worry if he got too tied down to a product, even though I really want him to advocate for our favorite OS. We need objective opinions and people making solid comparisons between webOS and other OSes. They can't do that without experience.
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Thanks for the nice review, pretty down to earth and good, plus hit all the good points or hard points that everyone turns away. People always say H/P is not for hardware but software, but I think hardware should be competitive too. I heard from people saying calendar is laggy, is that true?
    In my 35 minutes with the touchpad, that was the ONLY part that was a little laggy, but only at first. After I played with the calendar for about 3 minutes or so, the lag went away. I think its because it was trying to load up the synergy appointments on it. It had a lot of stuff in it for the demo unit. Like 6 different calendars.
    Called Walmart on 13th Street in Gainesvile, FL and they have a demo unit. Not on display yet, but they will allow customers to try it out and put it through the paces.

Wife and I will go by this afternoon and take some video hopefully! Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    In my 35 minutes with the touchpad, that was the ONLY part that was a little laggy, but only at first. After I played with the calendar for about 3 minutes or so, the lag went away. I think its because it was trying to load up the synergy appointments on it. It had a lot of stuff in it for the demo unit. Like 6 different calendars.
    well that's just it. if you hooked it up to the internet and put your information in, it'll have to sync quite a bit of information if you have it all and by the sounds of it you do so it'll temporarily put some strain on the device.
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    well that's just it. if you hooked it up to the internet and put your information in, it'll have to sync quite a bit of information if you have it all and by the sounds of it you do so it'll temporarily put some strain on the device.
    It seems as if it put quite a bit of strain on the device, but the calendar application was GORGEOUS. HP did well with webOS 3.0. I really like the changes.

I have a XOOM right now, and the calendar on that is pretty phenomenal. I will have to see, after long hours of use, if the calendar on the TouchPad is better. I hope so! I looked like it was better just with the few minutes I had with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    It seems as if it put quite a bit of strain on the device, but the calendar application was GORGEOUS. HP did well with webOS 3.0. I really like the changes.

I have a XOOM right now, and the calendar on that is pretty phenomenal. I will have to see, after long hours of use, if the calendar on the TouchPad is better. I hope so! I looked like it was better just with the few minutes I had with it.
    Man, now I wish I was back in Gainesville still! I spent 8 years in that town (undergrad and graduate school). Have fun and please upload the videos ASAP! Thanks
    The tray didn't come all the way out. Only enough to put a sim card in it and push it back in. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but I couldn't see inside the casing.
    Ok, thanks, my bad I guess.
    I somehow thought you had received a developer device and had removed the back casing to have a look inside.

I'm sure before this upcoming weekend is over someone will have peered inside and be able to provide the information I am asking about, or maybe ifixit will do a teardown saving one of us from the chills associated with voiding a TP warranty
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    No luck today at my local Walmart. Just the same clueless response
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast