1.    #1  
    I'm contemplating buying a Touchstone for me Touchpad but am not 100% sure yet at the price it is.

So... why should I get one?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/25/2011 at 07:51 PM.
    Because wireless charging is super-de-duper
    Can we persuade you to spell persuade correctly first?
    Yeah, I'm kinda thinking I don't need one either. I would probably charge it over night on a table or couch. Wireless would be cool and all, but I've lived with a basic charger until now. Is it worth $66?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Can we persuade you to spell persuade correctly first?
    Ouch. I didnt think it looked righht. In my defence it's past midnight and I'e been up since 6am? Does that make it any better? Didn't think so
    Touchstone is awesome for phones, because battery life sucks and you can just set the phone down to charge.

Hopefully battery life will be better on the TouchPad and I can just plug it in at night.

With that said, Touchstones were expensive at first for the Pre, but I think I picked up all 3 of mine for about $5 each. It might be better to wait.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    If you know what it does and can't find any obvious benefits then you shouldn't get one.
    you only need one reason: exhibition
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Don't mess with a Touchstone. No benefit whatsoever. I got one when I bought my Pre, and since then I've bought a bunch more for several rooms at home, for the office, and for my car and my wife's car. But that was stupid. The Touchstone is stupid. I was stupid to buy them. And you will feel stupid if you buy one because it is just a gimmick with no real value or benefit. Anybody who says otherwise is just trying to get you to waste your money on technology that is very popular for no good reason!
    Whatever you do, don't start with more than two.
    - Bubba
    Touchstone charging is a no-brainer for me. So simple, just on and off. Its definitely not a neccesity, but it is a must buy for me.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I'd say wait. You should know what it does by now. Decide how much that's worth to you and buy it when it falls to that price. I waited for the touchstone to fall to $20 before I picked one up. I love it. It's so easy to just plop my Pre down on it when I get home. But I don't think that convenience was worth more than $20. It's really not that hard to open the micro usb door and plug in. Of course one of the things that made the original touchstone drop so much in price was probably lack of sales, so if the touchpad does manage to take off then you may not even see a drop in price for a while.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I hope anyone buying a touchstone for their phone right now takes advantage of the Verizon sale. They were 4.99 for the TouchStone and another 4.99 for the micro-usb cable. I bought 3 (home, car, and work)

The reasons to get a TS is easy:
    1) Quick easy no-brainer charging
    2) Exhibition mode
    3) Extended length of use

What many people don't account for is the natural barrier that most chargers create. People don't want to carry them, don't want to fidget with them, don't want to have to deal with pulling them out. It's mostly subconscious but there's a map that your brain puts together and if you have a choice between charging now or waiting until later, people will generally follow the wait path. The problem is that the behavior also lands people with dead devices or use their devices less in order to conserve battery.

The touchstone takes away the barrier because it just relies on persons natural behavior of putting one's device down. There's no charging port cover to deal with, no alignment or twisting the cable just right, or futzing with the plug because last time you unplugged from the micro-usb you pulled too hard and it came loose from the wall. You simply lay your device down on the puck/stand and VOILA charging. And when you are done you just pick it back up. There's ZERO added effort.
    2 reasons. Wireless charging is just really nice, no having to go hunting for a cable and then hunting for a small hole on the side of the device. Minor things true but this just makes it so much easier.

second reason is its a great place to just leave your touchpad when your not using it, or using it at a desk with a keyboard. What i'm trying to say is it makes a great stand/dock, a safe place to leave it.
    1) Exhibition Mode. 2) No hunting for the charger. 3) No risk of damaging your micro-USB port over time due to plugging cables in and out (yes, this is a real concern, as my Pre+ port is a little finicky with some connectors since I had to plug the cable into it when in my car until I got a cheap Touchstone for the car). 4) You will naturally place it on the charger when you aren't using it, thereby saving battery life because you are keeping it charged up. 5) If the phones are any indication, charging is faster on the Touchstone (both my Pre+ and Pixi+ charge quicker and get a better longer lasting charge - something to do with the difference between the power coming over USB and coming through the Touchstone backing contacts).

I would definitely hunt down the cheapest price, though ($66.66 at Amazon).
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Very true about naturally putting the phone on a dock. I did that all the time when I had a puck in my car. After the puck over-heated in the sun, I went back to usb and can't be bothered to plug it in most of the time.
    With a longer battery life having a TS charger is not as important with the TouchPad. I have been using TS chargers since day one for my Pre and the most important benefit I see of using it is that your device is always fully charged when your ready to use it. Hey, when you set your device down, why not set it down on the TS and let it charge, much easier than the old fashion method of plugging and unplugging a wire .

Another benefit of the TS is that the TouchPad goes into exhibition mode when you set is down to charge, a feature that developers will be taking advantage when creating new apps. Many people debated in here about purchasing a TS but after having one for a short while they can't see going without one.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I went without the Touchstone for my Pre for quite a long time, but once I got it, there's no going back.

I used to just throw it on the charger each night, but with the Touchstone, if I know I'm going to be in the room for a while anyway, I'll throw it on there and top off the battery.

Even without the fancy Exhibition stuff, I've gotten used to using it as a desk clock.

I'm actually planning on getting 2 of them-- one for each room that I expect to use it in. The convenience of being able to just pick up the tablet, knowing it's fully charged, walk into another room, use it, then drop it back down to charge again, without messing with wires, is totally worth it to me.

In short, you have better things to do with your life than messing with a USB adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska View Post
    Don't mess with a Touchstone. No benefit whatsoever. I got one when I bought my Pre, and since then I've bought a bunch more for several rooms at home, for the office, and for my car and my wife's car. But that was stupid. The Touchstone is stupid. I was stupid to buy them. And you will feel stupid if you buy one because it is just a gimmick with no real value or benefit. Anybody who says otherwise is just trying to get you to waste your money on technology that is very popular for no good reason!
    Not really, one of my first Pre -'s USB port broke and the touchscreen was unresponsive / stopped working properly. Touchstone would have made this problem not happen, or not as quickly.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    If you are asking this question and already own a touchstone for your pre / veer ... then you FAIL... unless price is the issue.