Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that the release is just around the corner and we know more about the device, what do people actually plan to use the TouchPad for?

I was going to pick it up as mostly a business device and to leverage Netflix when I travel. However, this was before no video out was confirmed, no doc editing on launch and now we're hearing Netflix won't be there day 1 - with no availability in sight.

Does this come down to a cool new toy in the market for die hard WebOS fans? At this stage, it seems like a web browser, ereader, music player and movie watcher toy. Not being negative, just interested to see what people are actually going to use it for.

Thanks,
    An ebook reader/web surfing tool when I'm travelling and the odd ripped movie.
    It will be my couch web surfer. I can get myself away from the computer to surf instead of on my Pre- which is so slow on so many sites. And it's too small to do a lot of reading.

Kindle App - I'll try this out. Maybe it'll help me get back in to reading. But they say using electronics before sleeping is a bad idea, so it may deter me. Plus I don't know how it would be outside, seems like it'd be crappy.

XBMC Remote! One of the things I'm really excited for, especially after seeing some of the iPad apps people have developed. As much as I like the $50 Lenovo keyboard/mouse I bought, a remote app would be really, really cool.

The usual travel stuff. It'll be awesome for flights and nights at the hotels.

I've never really had an interest in owning a laptop, so a tablet is the perfect solution for me. It's so easily portable.

I think a lot of these type of 'what do you plan to use it for' questions also hinges on what the TouchPad will be able to do, and what kind of apps will come to it. For the moment, from what we know, it may not be able to do a whole lot. In time, that will change.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    im mostly gonna use it around the home. u can use google docs to edit stuff, got an HP wireless printer -=)

mostly replacing my laptop and when the netflix app comes out then ill be able to watch some cartoons without the wifey asking questions haha
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  5.    #5  
    for me, I can't see me using this around the home much. On the computer/laptop 10 hours a day already when not travelling, so will be used for fun and not much productivity. The bummer is this would have replaced my laptop for most trips - until we got no video out. Can't give presentations now off of this. Also, I now get to cart around a 3rd device instead of actually leaving something at home, however I'll take it. Much easier on planes then a 17" laptop. Now with several airlines offering wifi in flight, that could be cool.

Here's where they got me - I will buy this 1st gen touchpad, then I'm sure the 2nd gen will get purchased if video out and sd slot are included.
    I'll be using it at uni and for general browsing, tweeting, im at home.

Main use really will be working on film and tv sets.
    Mine will be for fun/travel and possibly some business. My laptop will be strictly for business. Desktop for gaming.
    I've been holding off getting a laptop for awile waiting for this. I hate going to my desktop for light browsing, and emails, so I will mainly use it for browsing, emails, document editing(when available), and eventually netlix, and hopefully hulu.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by kiloechonovember78 View Post
    Mine will be for fun/travel and possibly some business. My laptop will be strictly for business. Desktop for gaming.
    I'm exactly the same....
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Does this come down to a cool new toy in the market for die hard WebOS fans? At this stage, it seems like a web browser, ereader, music player and movie watcher toy. Not being negative, just interested to see what people are actually going to use it for.
    I honestly didn't know anyone really thought a Tablet was good for anything more than what you listed.
    I'll use it for business. Access my CRM, Internet marketing, email, Website management, app development, Internet banking, money transfers, e-reading, audiobooks, notetaking....in other words, just about anything my laptop does now except for document editing (unless I use Google docs or Zoho). I guess I'm in minority in that I don't need to make presentations in my line of work.
    I'm gonna use it for Sap reports, and remote maintenance of database server... yes, it's a lie... of course I'll use tablet for surfing and mostly as toilet seat companion.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Mine will be for personal use while on business trips.

At home, it will replace my laptop for day-to-day usage. My laptop will move to the desk. Unless I need to work on photoshop or a game, my laptop will actually be shut off.

War Eagle!
    Mine will be for work. I've looked for a long time for a device that would allow me to access my customers account info that's in Peachtree, and my service information that's in MS Access. With Citrix, I am hoping I can access that info when I'm away from the office, on my main computer to provide up to date info to my customers from wherever I am. I expect this to be slow however but then I haven't used any Citrix service yet.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I honestly didn't know anyone really thought a Tablet was good for anything more than what you listed.
    That's my thought too. However, with HP making such a big deal on the business side, I figured there has got to be more to these then what I mentioned. To be honest, for the price I have a hard time justifying the purchase and will look for every way to get some work productivity out of it. If not, I have a bad feeling it will collect dust when I don't have to travel.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    For me, this will mostly be for web browsing when in front of a tv-- looking stuff up on IMDB, feeding game hints to my roommate, etc. Stuff that doesn't work well on the Pre screen, but also isn't always worth waiting for a laptop to boot in order to access. It might replace the laptop for Fantasy Football season, but I'm not sure about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post

Thanks,
    Remember the launch of the first iPad? All it was is just a cool looking toy. Look were it ended up! It had to survive in a market that didn't exist yet. No one was the to buy it except ******* (weird, it blipped out f-a-n-b-o-y-s) and rich people. It had it much harder off than the TouchPad. No one though it would survive but it turned into a million dollar sell. We all need to stop looking at it the same way we all did the iPad because it obviously didn't lead to what happened. The fact is that the TouchPad is a great device with the world's best OS. If it is a good enough device, then backed up by the biggest computer company in the world, it will succeed.

Lets all face it. It won't get imediate adoption. Nothing does or ever will. A few months into the 2nd generation of Enyo devices is were the adoption will be. No matter how great of a device it could ever be, it would never have gotten world domination at its launch. The biggest misunderstanding that we all think is that the success of a device happens at its launch. Not true. There is no space in the market for another mobile IS, so HP will have to make space. They can't do that in one week. I believe that we are all, including me, blinded by the WebOS enthusist within us.
    Last edited by Rennat; 06/25/2011 at 08:55 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    The main reason for me purchasing the TouchPad will be use for travel and business. Another benefit of the TouchPad is not having to lug a laptop around my house plus the battery life is not as good with a laptop so I am constantly having to plug it in to charge it thus everytime I want to move.

Let's say a critical app is not there (really hard to speculate until the TP is released IMO), I am really confident that HP will have the important apps out shortly after release. One of the downsides to this issue is that the HP/Palm haters will troll in here and continue to jump in and post their negative comments (yeah, we all know who they are, lol).

Also, I am pretty sure that HP has solution for the video out situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Also, I am pretty sure that HP has solution for the video out situation.
    I believe that they have something in the works also. Something that is some cool new feature like Touch to Share. Video out is a really important feature for enterprise which is were they are pushing it. They aren't blind.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    eReader / PDF reading

webOS is the only platform that allows me to have multiple PDF documents open for quick referencing. At least this was possible with the PDF viewer on the phone.

I hope the keep a similar version for the TouchPad or that the Adobe version is similar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast