1.    #1  
    Is the TouchPad going to ship with Spyware/Virus Detection software. My TouchPad will (hopefully) be here on 7/1 and email will be one of my most used programs. Should I buy spyware/virus detection software and will it be compatible with WebOS3 ( I usually buy Norton)?
    as there is not a single webOS virus/spyware out there...nope.
    Can you buy spyware/virus detection software for webOS even?
    Yet...virus are not if, but when and with Mobile becoming more popular it's bound to happen.

Look at Android littered with Malware and Spyware! Thankfully webOS is either more secure or has received less of a Bullseye from potential treats. Sorli...
    there is probably no need for that for a while.

maybe in the future. no worries for now, just make sure you have AV software on the computer you will connect touchpad to. that should stop any transmission of viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Yet...virus are not if, but when and with Mobile becoming more popular it's bound to happen.

Look at Android littered with Malware and Spyware! Thankfully webOS is either more secure or has received less of a Bullseye from potential treats. Sorli...
    im pretty sure i read somewhere about security holes in webOS, may not be viruses, but i doubt its much securer than other mobile OSes.
    There's been very little in the way of transmittable malware on mobile OSes. For the most part, malware has been in the form of malicious apps which, once discovered, are removed from the various app stores and kill signals are sent to all the devices.

That's not to say that they don't exist. There was a virus that traveled by way of Bluetooth a few years back that made the rounds through a stadium in Scandinavia with somewhere between a few dozen and a few hundred phones getting infected. A tiny handful of Linux viruses are also known (webOS is based on Linux, for those who don't know), though they are mostly proofs of concept.

At this point, lack of malware protection shouldn't be an overriding purchase factor. There is no AV software for iPhones. AV software is available for Windows Mobile and I think Symbian, but their relative ubiquity a few years ago required it. Some AV is available for Android. Security software in the form of internet filtering is available for multiple platforms, including iOS. WebOS will hopefully get something soon, as it makes enterprise people a little happier.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegadog12 View Post
    Is the TouchPad going to ship with Spyware/Virus Detection software. My TouchPad will (hopefully) be here on 7/1 and email will be one of my most used programs. Should I buy spyware/virus detection software and will it be compatible with WebOS3 ( I usually buy Norton)?

Whoops I thought Norton was a virus in it's own right? I've simply lost count of the number of machines I've fixed over the years that had a fully licensed copy of the software and a virus to keep it company. No, sadly not joking!
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    im pretty sure i read somewhere about security holes in webOS, may not be viruses, but i doubt its much securer than other mobile OSes.
    There are security holes, as there are for any devices; but the nature of WebOS makes it more secure than other operating systems.

OS' that run true executables work at a different layer than javascript and java. Further, WebOS forces apps to run without affecting other applications or their databases (except through the provided APIs).

The except though, are HomeBrew applications. Those introduce additional security issues.
    Joking aside, with the Touchpad's Synergy app and the ability to present a consolidated messaging interface for multiple Email/messaging systems it wouldn't be a massive leap of imagination to guess that someone with malicious intent would see it as a prime target to attack.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the early apps - maybe even on 1st July would be some sort of anti-malware tool. Given HP's Enterprise IT credentials they will know how sensitive IT departments are to have insecure/unprotected devices attached to the network - and its a market they clearly want to hit.
    with all this said how vulnerable is our touchpad to virus compare to others
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicblue View Post
    Whoops I thought Norton was a virus in it's own right? I've simply lost count of the number of machines I've fixed over the years that had a fully licensed copy of the software and a virus to keep it company. No, sadly not joking!
    I've seen this so many times... -.-

norton...meh.... Mcafee worse...
    Quote Originally Posted by tdrag97 View Post
    with all this said how vulnerable is our touchpad to virus compare to others
    Right now, it's not in any malware author's interest to develop for WebOS, the user base simply isn't large enough.

As others have pointed out, anti-virus software on all mobile OS's is almost completely worthless.

For instance, while malware has been found in the Android market, Google pulls it from the market (and even remotely uninstalls it from devices) the very moment it's revealed to be malware.

The truth is that anti virus software doesn't have any ability to magically detect malware ridden apps. People do that. After people have identified an app as malware, the app then has to be specifically added to their definitions file. In a world dominated by app stores, the minute the app goes into a definitions file, it's removed from the app store.

Anti-virus does make sense in a world where apps are distributed by multiple unknown and untrusted sources, like Windows, Linux, or Mac. It doesn't makes sense in a world where all apps are downloaded and curated by a single repository.

Since Android and most other mobile OS's have unified distribution through single source app stores, by the time any given anti-virus software is updated to recognize it as malware, the app has already been pulled and remotely deleted by the app store.

So unless you're downloading lots of pirated software or from 3rd party app stores, anti virus software on mobile operating systems is complete Snake Oil.

So why is there anti-virus on all those mobile platforms? Because the anti-virus vendors are trying to stay alive in a market that will shortly doom them to obscurity. They're making buggy whips.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I suspect my TouchPad has a virus, I say so because every time I connect it to my PC it gets this virus, I clean and all good till I connect TP again to PC.

any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    Right now, it's not in any malware author's interest to develop for WebOS, the user base simply isn't large enough.

As others have pointed out, anti-virus software on all mobile OS's is almost completely worthless.

For instance, while malware has been found in the Android market, Google pulls it from the market (and even remotely uninstalls it from devices) the very moment it's revealed to be malware.

The truth is that anti virus software doesn't have any ability to magically detect malware ridden apps. People do that. After people have identified an app as malware, the app then has to be specifically added to their definitions file. In a world dominated by app stores, the minute the app goes into a definitions file, it's removed from the app store.

Anti-virus does make sense in a world where apps are distributed by multiple unknown and untrusted sources, like Windows, Linux, or Mac. It doesn't makes sense in a world where all apps are downloaded and curated by a single repository.

Since Android and most other mobile OS's have unified distribution through single source app stores, by the time any given anti-virus software is updated to recognize it as malware, the app has already been pulled and remotely deleted by the app store.

So unless you're downloading lots of pirated software or from 3rd party app stores, anti virus software on mobile operating systems is complete Snake Oil.

So why is there anti-virus on all those mobile platforms? Because the anti-virus vendors are trying to stay alive in a market that will shortly doom them to obscurity. They're making buggy whips.
    Someone please tell me what this means

"Touch input recording. Press Sym+Opt+w to stop"

This is a message occasionally pops up on touchpad.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vimak View Post
    I suspect my TouchPad has a virus, I say so because every time I connect it to my PC it gets this virus, I clean and all good till I connect TP again to PC.

any suggestions?
    I suspect your PC has a virus.
    Seems unlikely that simply connecting a Linux based system to a PC has anything to do with the PC having a virus, or not. If you PC has a virus, it has a virus, doubt it came from the Touchpad. Now could you put a file on the Touchpad with a virus payload which could hit a PC? Sure. Hopefully a combination of best practices and good antivirus software will protect most of us from that though.