Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

take care,

Jay

Can HP's webOS and TouchPad slow down the iPad?
    Android tablets and RIM's PlayBook haven't put much of a dent in Apple's tablet success -- yet
    By Ryan Faas, June 24, 2011 06:00 AM ET

Can HP's webOS and TouchPad slow down the iPad? - Computerworld

Computerworld - More than a year after its introduction, Apple's iPad continues to dominate a tablet market that has grown crowded with a variety of would-be rivals. Most of these are Android tablets like Samsung's Galaxy Tab and Motorola's Xoom. (The Xoom became the launch vehicle for the tablet-optimized version of Android, better known as Honeycomb.)

The new HP TouchPad is due to arrive July 1. Prices start at $499.
    The next challenger prepping to go toe-to-toe with the iPad is HP's TouchPad, which was announced and demoed in February; it is expected to ship July 1 -- along with a significant update to the webOS mobile operating system originally.

In any case, with HP showing such obvious ambitions and an apparent commitment to ship the TouchPad as a product that is fully polished on the day it launches, the TouchPad has the potential to blow Android tablets and the PlayBook out of the water. And maybe, just maybe, it will offer Apple some real competition.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Finally a decent article that I can agree with.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    Finally a decent article that I can agree with.
    Hi, I also thought is was a GREAT read!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    pretty good article. Wish they talked more about why they think that. But nonetheless happy to see people out there realizing its potential.
    i will anwser that question after reading some reviews. at this time, there are too many unknowns.
    Yes very interesting. One commentary referenced the focus being too broad and how HP is going to have a hard time winning over Apple fans.

I personally love Mac computers, but find IOS incompetent for what it forces its users to do. WebOS does similar things in one or two steps that take four or five on IOS or simply can't be done.

To be honest, IOS users know nothing else and have no clue what else is out there and available. I'm just hopeful HP isn't too late and can take the steps now and bring it home with the TouchPad, Veer, and soon to come Pre 3. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Yes very interesting. One commentary referenced the focus being too broad and how HP is going to have a hard time winning over Apple fans.

I personally love Mac computers, but find IOS incompetent for what it forces its users to do. WebOS does similar things in one or two steps that take four or five on IOS or simply can't be done.

To be honest, IOS users know nothing else and have no clue what else is out there and available. I'm just hopeful HP isn't too late and can take the steps now and bring it home with the TouchPad, Veer, and soon to come Pre 3. Sorli...
    +1 to everything you just said.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post

Hi,

Thank you for your comments...among a number of Apple fans that I know you would be blackballed. However here at Precentral I'm glad for your input!

take care,

jay
    Good article

Apple has done a fantastic job of creating a market for both the tablet hardware concept and the kind of applications that can be used. I don't suppose Apple ever anticipated the amazing success would attain - so gave it the same OS as their music players.

Now CEOs in major enterprises are buying iPads (a very common sight) and wanting them connected to secure corporate networks the lack of a proper OS with all the security features is becoming evident.

HP can see this - and the opportunity; "No Sir, you can't connect your iPad - however you can have this HP Touchpad instead and we think you will like it" The CEO's kids will have the iPad by the end of the week.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicblue View Post
    Good article

Apple has done a fantastic job of creating a market for both the tablet hardware concept and the kind of applications that can be used. I don't suppose Apple ever anticipated the amazing success would attain - so gave it the same OS as their music players.

Now CEOs in major enterprises are buying iPads (a very common sight) and wanting them connected to secure corporate networks the lack of a proper OS with all the security features is becoming evident.

HP can see this - and the opportunity; "No Sir, you can't connect your iPad - however you can have this HP Touchpad instead and we think you will like it" The CEO's kids will have the iPad by the end of the week.
    Hi all,

Thanks for bring up a very good point I didn't think of!

Take care,

Jay
    Good article

This stuff is why I believe the TouchPad will succeed. It takes the ease of use of iOS, combines it with the quick GTD of Palm, has the power of Android, and the enterprise capabilities of RIM's offerings. It really is a best of all worlds solutions minus the one big negative: apps. It does appear, though, that a lot of apps are going to be coming webOS' way. As HP's way of treating developers continues to spread, more developers will buy in and the apps will come.

Being able to offer the enterprise features that HP specializes in, why providing an interface as easy and yet so powerful as the one webOS has, is the real differentiator. As HP drives this into the IT shops, it will become a flood of devices in corporate environments, not unlike the way RIM spread BB's. The difference is, when people start buying the devices for personal use, having used them at work, they will actually find that they are really great personal devices too. Something I ultimately found that the BB's weren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    It really is a best of all worlds solutions minus the one big negative: apps.
    I would add pricing, hardwares and (possible) in store model availability to average buyers.

webOS is largely unknown, hp needs to do what it can to grab market share in a timely manner to attract developers, or throwing money onto their faces to produce good apps. im not sure they are doing that.
    Now CEOs in major enterprises are buying iPads (a very common sight) and wanting them connected to secure corporate networks the lack of a proper OS with all the security features is becoming evident
    This part of your comment is false.
    Boxtone
    Good For Enterprise
    Last edited by sinsin07; 06/25/2011 at 03:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Originally Posted by Cosmicblue
    Now CEOs in major enterprises are buying iPads (a very common sight) and wanting them connected to secure corporate networks the lack of a proper OS with all the security features is becoming evident

This part of your comment is false.
    Boxtone
    Good For Enterprise
    An in what way is it false? I work in IT in 2 Global roles (concurrently) and am generally regarded as competent in this area.............would you be suggesting a plug for your company's product I wonder?
    Last edited by Cosmicblue; 06/25/2011 at 04:39 PM.
    More important question is will Touchpad be financially justified for HP.
    An in what way is it false? I work in IT in 2 Global roles (concurrently) and am generally regarded as competent in this area.............would you be suggesting a plug for your company's product I wonder?
    Apple - iPad - iPad in Business - Resources — Everything you need to know, right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Apple - iPad - iPad in Business - Resources Everything you need to know, right there.
    Yup seen all that stuff - still weak despite all the words, it just wasn't designed for the Enterprise.

Apple are an exceedingly smart company and are agile enough to move with the market and iOS5 is supposed to be addressing many of the concerns - a step change by all accounts. We shall see!
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    hey jay,
    ilovedessert, too...and I am amazed with your ability to find and post all these articles...thanks for taking all the time & effort! Now, I believe I will go have some dessert!
    I named two different companies. How is that a plug? Did you look at the links? There is also Airwatch and Mobileiron, of which MobileIron says they will be able to manage Webos devices. IOS devices are being managed in the enterprise as I type. Nothing new here:
    Mobile Device Management Solutions for IOS 4

Where you work is not relevant. What you know is.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 06/25/2011 at 08:46 PM.
    General question to anyone:

How is webos more enterprise ready than IOS? Do webos devices have hardware encryption?

I ask because I do not know the answer and I am looking for some more info.

Thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast