Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    hey jay,
    ilovedessert, too...and I am amazed with your ability to find and post all these articles...thanks for taking all the time & effort! Now, I believe I will go have some dessert!
    Ditto
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    hey jay,
    ilovedessert, too...and I am amazed with your ability to find and post all these articles...thanks for taking all the time & effort! Now, I believe I will go have some dessert!
    Hi, Thank you...I'm just a very avid reader...I always have been.....MMMM dessert always sounds GREAT!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    General question to anyone:

How is webos more enterprise ready than IOS?
    WebOS in and of itself is not. HP though, is a company that has, for decades, successfuly marketed to, sold to, and written software for, the enterprise. Now they've said they are targeting (in part) the enterprise with this device. Apple did not, did not, has not, and has not. Respectively.

Do webos devices have hardware encryption?

I ask because I do not know the answer and I am looking for some more info.

Thanks
    Only the newest one coming out (as far as I know). The TouchPad's Snapdragon processor has storage encryption capabilities.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    WebOS in and of itself is not. HP though, is a company that has, for decades, successfuly marketed to, sold to, and written software for, the enterprise. Now they've said they are targeting (in part) the enterprise with this device. Apple did not, did not, has not, and has not. Respectively.
    Hi all,

The main reason HP has such a leg up over all of the other tablet makers, including Apple for the Enterprise market is simple.

HP makes computing hardware at every level in the computing field from netbooks, to huge server farms that are what makes the Internet work...rack systems, blades, main frames for business, hospitals....I mentioned in another thread, when my Mom was in the hospital recently...I noticed that her O2 sensor, her EKG leads and other sensors all plugged into a connector made by HP...I did some nosing around and asked a bunch of questions....

All of the computing equipment from it's main frame/server to in room computers are all part of a network made by and set up by HP.

We have three Hospitals in my area, two are branches of the same location an independent for profit hospital and we all lump that into one hospital.

One hospital has been here for decades, but recently gutted the entire hospital and rebuilt, the other was in the very old converted factory...they just opened a new hospital and moved out the old building a few years ago.

All of the hospitals have a computer in each room....it is a modified laptop mounted in a rack on the wall in each room. The nurses and/or doctors unlock the rack & open it's fold down shelf...to make entries to a patients file. including scanning in all medication, IV's etc....

Medicare now requires that ALL medical files from a drs. office all the way to hospitals must be all stored electronically, (as Medicare does check on procedures performed etc).

When I had my first spinal surgery in 1991 and my second in 2000 all of my MRI films, cat scans & x-rays were all on film only...now those have been scanned into the hospitals file system...all new imaging is recorded electronically which gives a far better ability to read images.

All of this is not just done with HP's equipment they also designed the system.

Now getting back to the question of Enterprise business and why HP should do well with the TouchPad....I'm SURE that HP has already said to new, perspective and current Enterprise users...if you buy new blades, new main frames or new PC's from us we will give you a great deal on TouchPads...what's more I'm positive HP has had or is currently having customized apps written for these Enterprise clients to use the TouchPad for their particular businesses.

While the Ipad and all of the other pads out there are fine machines...they are made by or designed by firms that frankly don't have the business contacts that HP has!

Apple sells tons of computers, iPods, Ipads etc....however they don't make computers that are powerful enough to be mainframe for an airline's reservation system...(All of the Airlines in the NYC area at all three major airports were my clients)....HP makes equipment for such computer heavier users but while Apple makes a great computer...they aren't in that field of computing and therefore they don't have the contacts that HP has...

Now if HP can and will be able to leverage these contacts into impressive sales for the TouchPad is an other issue!

take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Thanks Jay for your input. Appreciated. I was wonder about the technical side of webos enterprise readiness. I have a feeling I will be seeing more Touchpads in the enterprise than Playbooks. I keep seeing on the boards that TP is enterprise ready, which for me alludes to something other than HP's presence in the enterprise.

Edit: If the scenario you outlined plays out, it looks like Apple is shooting themselves in the foot. If people get Touchpads in the Enterprise, they will probably gravitate to the same device in their personal lives. Webos and the HP environment will not be the same as Android, as the own practically the whole process.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 06/26/2011 at 07:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    pretty good article. Wish they talked more about why they think that. But nonetheless happy to see people out there realizing its potential.
    The full article was four pages and talked about HPs enterprise connections, ability to print from the tablet, the WebOS interface, and lots of other stuff. It didn't give a bunch of Tech jargon and specs, but most consumers don't show based on that anyway.

The article was slanted toward the TouchPad filling an IT/ Enterprise gap and made a lot of valid points; but in the end, I'm looking at it because I like my Pre experience and would like to carry something lighter than my tablet that meets my computing needs. Whether or not it can do that, remains to be seen.
    Thanks Jay for your input. Appreciated. I was wonder about the technical side of webos enterprise readiness. I have a feeling I will be seeing more Touchpads in the enterprise than Playbooks. I keep seeing on the boards that TP is enterprise ready, which for me alludes to something other than HP's presence in the enterprise.

Edit: If the scenario you outlined plays out, it looks like Apple is shooting themselves in the foot. If people get Touchpads in the Enterprise, they will probably gravitate to the same device in their personal lives. Webos and the HP environment will not be the same as Android, as the own practically the whole process.
    There was a front page article on PreCentral a couple of weeks back about which pad was best suited for Education companies. Unfortunately, I can't find that article. PreCentral's search engine kind of sucks sometimes. I would think that article would have been easy to find. In any case, it points out how certain things are required by Education businesses (the type that give training sessions and what not), and some of these deal with having to use iTunes on the iPad, as well as the fact it can be jailbroken and some other issue. Some of the things in favor of the TouchPad is being able to lock it down and prevent developer mode, being able to control the apps that are put on the tablet, and some others. The article spelled it out from someone in the business who has ruled out the iPad for specific reasons.

HP really has a huge upper hand in this space, and I believe that will show.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    There was a front page article on PreCentral a couple of weeks back about which pad was best suited for Education companies. Unfortunately, I can't find that article. PreCentral's search engine kind of sucks sometimes. I would think that article would have been easy to find. In any case, it points out how certain things are required by Education businesses (the type that give training sessions and what not), and some of these deal with having to use iTunes on the iPad, as well as the fact it can be jailbroken and some other issue. Some of the things in favor of the TouchPad is being able to lock it down and prevent developer mode, being able to control the apps that are put on the tablet, and some others. The article spelled it out from someone in the business who has ruled out the iPad for specific reasons.

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the article you were refering to, but it does touch on the subject matter you were discussing. I selected two paragraphs from the middle of the article. I am also supplying everyone with the link to the article under discussion.

Take care all,

Jay

HP Cranks Up Its Partner Training For TouchPad Launch
    By Kevin McLaughlin, CRN, June 16, 2011 7:03 PM ET

http://www.crn.com/news/client-devic...drA**.ecappj02

In the healthcare and education vertical markets, HP is providing ISVs with the WebOS 3.0 SDK and engineering help when needed. "We’re getting these companies to port over their apps at launch so they'll have apps running on WebOS when the TouchPad launches," said LaRocca. "We're having engagements with these folks every day and making sure there are clear roadmaps for when they will come on board."

HP would like to see a community of developers and partners form around WebOS, but because iOS and Android are soaking up the lion's share of mobile development expertise at the moment, that's probably going to happen slowly. But LaRocca says the fact that WebOS is based on HTML5 makes it easy to build TouchPad applications, and this could amount to a key advantage for HP.

There is one thing that the Playbook does have going for it. You really have to understand large IT installations to understand the bureaucracy involved in the decision making, and the detachment from technology by (some/many) of those involved in making the decisions.

There will be some decision makers (and thus, their company) that decide on using Playbooks because "we've already got Blackberry". Sad, but true. I've already seen it happen.

I don't think though, that it's going to be enough to save the Playbook.
  10.    #30  
    I don't think though, that it's going to be enough to save the Playbook.
    Hi,

I agree that many firms are very top heavy with bureaucracy and they may go with BB & the Playbook b/c they already have BB. However more and more firms are slowly moving away from BB. I also agree that I'm sure it's not enough to save RIM.

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    ...Some of the things in favor of the TouchPad is being able to lock it down and prevent developer mode, being able to control the apps that are put on the tablet, and some others. The article spelled it out from someone in the business who has ruled out the iPad for specific reasons.

To be fair, I think that article was discussing the possibility of having WebOS allowing the devmode to be changed, not sure it's present yet, but you can bet it's coming.

That, combined with the ability to reimage, would give it much more security. HP will also need a way to control features on the devices, remote wipes, and reporting from within the enterprise; something similar to Blackberry Enterprise Server.

You can be sure though, that HP is looking at these.
  12.    #32  
    That, combined with the ability to reimage, would give it much more security. HP will also need a way to control features on the devices, remote wipes, and reporting from within the enterprise; something similar to Blackberry Enterprise Server.

Hi,

My guess is that they have been approaching corporations about this for months, asking what kind of services the would need and what could technically been done. I'm SURE, (not that I know for a fact), HP has been cutting deals with firms trying to leverage sales of the TouchPad for weeks on end...

Take care,

Jay
    To be fair, I think that article was discussing the possibility of having WebOS allowing the devmode to be changed, not sure it's present yet, but you can bet it's coming.

Agreed.

I've seen reports that these demo units at Walmart have had the dev mode password protected, perhaps this is the beginning of what you mention here?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12