Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkEye View Post
    WalMart on San Jose Blvd and I-295 in Jacksonville Florida. Had TP on display.

I asked if I could buy one now and the guy looked underneath it in the glass case and said he did not have any. He did not even know when they would have them or anything about the July 1st release.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkEye View Post
    Walmart - Normandy Blvd - no Display, no unit, no one knows anything about it.
    Walmart - 103rd St - no Display, no unit, no one knows anything about it.
    Walmart - Phillips Highway - no Display, no unit, no one knows anything about it.
    Walmart - San Jose & I-295 - Has Display and has Demo Unit. They don't know when they will be getting them in stock. Has screen protector.
    Bestbuy - Blanding blvd & I-295 - Has Display, no unit. as of 6/27.
    That is the walmart closest to me, and I havent been back (I avoid Walmarts whenever possible due to the congestion and my wife's itchy deal-itis) since I tried last Sunday. Maybe I will swing in there tonight and play with it since I may be getting mine delivered via Amazon tomorrow.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Best Buy - Williamsburg, VA - Called, they knew exactly what it was, told me I couldn't buy it until the release date (had to look it up, obviously I knew what it was..ha) she said July 1st, oh tomorrow! :P

I asked if they will have both the 16 and 32, they have both and they have a lot of them and more shipment of it coming in today.

I was happy to hear all of that news.
    Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Best Buy in Boise (there's only 1) Weds afternoon - the open Demo was locked up with error messages displayed, the kid had no problem unlocking the cage and opening another demo unit for me. It was installing the Demo software while I was fondling it, so things were pretty slow but I had my Xoom with me so I could compare the size and feel. obviously the specs show they are the same weight but I liked the ipad shape better for my small hands. fingers crossed that a Verizon LTE version shows up in the pipeline someday so I can get one!

edit: he had the impression that he and the other staff would be using them on the floor while working with customers and looking things up, helping people, and based on that he felt they would be giving the TP a big push
    Last edited by shrxwin; 06/30/2011 at 01:45 PM.
    Best Buy in Cortlandt (Mohegan), NY
    -has two demo units.
    EDIT: Manager emailed me saying they're available TODAY

Calling works with 1.4.5 Sprint Pre-
    Had employees call me, they were amazed
    Text messages didn't get forwarded, though.

Screenshot: Hold the power and home buttons at the same time. Whole screen flashes white.

Acid3 Test: 92
    HTML5 Test: 229, 5 bonus pts

Impressions: Like everyone's saying. Fast and slick when it works, but occasional freezes and lag. Scrolling wasn't as smooth as expected. Frame rates dipped visibly during games (Sparkle) which wasn't even a 3D game so I'm worried.
    Took a bunch of screenshots and emailed them to myself from the touchpad.

Youtube as a site works fine. Videos play smooth, however some of the controls are iffy, i.e. the dragger is slow/choppy.

Music, Calendar, everything else works as expected.

Emailed myself a bunch of screenshots but I guess it didn't work :/
    Took some pics also (attachment)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by isaac.jang216; 06/30/2011 at 04:03 PM.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    BB in Laurel,Md has two touchpads and a veer. I was there during lunch time. I played with it for ten minutes. Baring phone app and email the thing seemed FAAAAST. I wonder what those reviews talked about ? I never saw any lag. I mean no lag. So folks take a deep breath its great and it will sell well.
    Quote Originally Posted by isaac.jang216 View Post
    Best Buy in Cortlandt (Mohegan), NY
    -has two demo units.

Calling works with 1.4.5 Sprint Pre-
    Had employees call me, they were amazed
    Text messages didn't get forwarded, though.

Screenshot: Hold the power and home buttons at the same time. Whole screen flashes white.

Acid3 Test: 92
    HTML5 Test: 229, 5 bonus pts

Impressions: Like everyone's saying. Fast and slick when it works, but occasional freezes and lag. Scrolling wasn't as smooth as expected. Frame rates dipped visibly during games (Sparkle) which wasn't even a 3D game so I'm worried.
    Took a bunch of screenshots and emailed them to myself from the touchpad.

Youtube as a site works fine. Videos play smooth, however some of the controls are iffy, i.e. the dragger is slow/choppy.

Music, Calendar, everything else works as expected.

Emailed myself a bunch of screenshots but I guess it didn't work :/
    Took some pics also (attachment)
    I wonder what that empty slot on the display is for...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    How about we start a list of confirmed places where there are TouchPads on display. I've seen the Wal-Mart videos, but haven't heard specifics. Post here with details, I'll put the Store, City & State on this list, and link to the post.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    CA
    • Cerritos - Best Buy
    • Long Beach - Pacific Coast HWY Best Buy (no power)
    • San Jose - Brokaw Fry's

CT
    • East Windsor - WalMart (no power)

FL
    • Jacksonville - southside Best Buy
    • Jacksonville - San Jose WalMart
    • Oldsmar - Office Depot
    • Tampa - Waters Ave Office Depot

GA
    • Atlanta - Chamblee Tucker Road WalMart Call before going, they're moving things around
    • Duluth - Fry's

IA
    • Boise - Best Buy (I'm thinking Boise is in Idaho not Iowa. )
    • Cedar Rapids - Blairs Ferry Rd WalMart (originally incorrectly listed Best Buy, sorry)

IN
    • Avon - Best Buy (but the poster says it doesn't deserve to be included)
    • Greenwood - Best Buy
    • Indianapolis - Castleton Best Buy

KS

MA
    • Cambridge - Cambridgeside galleria mall Best Buy

MD
    • Anne Arundel - Arundel Mills Mall Best Buy
    • Germantown - Best Buy
    • Laurel, MD

NH
    • Plaistow - WalMart (Under glass counter, no power)

NM
    • Las Cruces - Walton Blvd WalMart

NY
    • Camillus - WalMart
    • Cortlandt - Best Buy
    • NYC - Union Square Best Buy (User reports the USB port on the demo is broken, and thus the device no longer has power)

OH
    • Akron - Arlington Rd WalMart
    • Cincinnati - Waterstone Blvd Best Buy

OR
    • Beaverton - Cascade Best Buy

SC
    • Greenville - Pelham Rd WalMart

TN

TX
    • Austin - Arboretum Best buy
    • Cypress - Hwy 290 Best Buy
    • Houston - Spring Cypress Best Buy
    • North Richland Hills - North Tarrant Pkwy Walmart http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...e-1-4-5-a.html (This one is especially nice, since it's my hometown!)
    • Plano - Fry's
    • Round Rock - Best Buy (Not displayed yet. but the manager will let you take one out and play with it)
    No Boise, Iowa Best Buy.
  8.    #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    No Boise, Iowa Best Buy.
    Idaho, Iowa, it's one of those sparsely populated I-states....

(Seriously - corrected)
    Sparse? No one has as much corn as Iowa!
    I see pandas.
    Best Buy at 3675 Pacific Coast Highway, Torrance, California had 4 touchpads on display. At least one connected to wifi.

Side note. I stood using it for 30 minutes. not a single person other even walked up to look at them.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    I wonder what that empty slot on the display is for...
    The OPAL!
    Haha only a black veer that was missing :/
    They had 2 on display at Best Buy in Wilmington, NC. However one had no power, and the other one was at 0% when I got my hands on it, so it died a few minutes later. Both were plugged in, but they must have had some type of power supply issue (or it wasn't actually plugged into a socket).

First let me say that I'm impressed with the TouchPad. For some reason it looked larger in all the pictures and videos I've seen, but that's a good thing. It felt really good holding it.

It was very responsive and the webOS user interface seems to fit perfectly with the tablet form factor. I tried out the web browser and scrolling and zooming was very smooth. I tried out a few games that were installed (Glow Hockey and Paratrooper) and they both looked great.

I wanted to check out the app catalog, but it gave an error saying that it wasn't logged into a profile.

I tried out the music app and it has a nice, clean interface. But like it's smaller phone cousin, I still feel it's very bare bones. However when I started playing music, this is where the device really shined. I didn't expect a mobile device to sound this good.

Unfortunately as I mentioned the battery died, so I didn't get a chance to do much else with it. Which leads me to my review of Best Buy. As I was playing with the one unit that worked, 2 sales associates came up and started fiddling with the other one to figure out why it was powered off.

The one guy asked the other if he tried out the new tablet with the "new user interface". The other guy shrugged and said, "no". The first guy then said, it's the new tablet from HP running that new OS. The clueless guy then said, "you mean Android"? I then interjected and said, "no it's running webOS". The not-so-clueless guy then said, "yeah that's the old Palm OS. This is like a big Palm". The clueless guy then said, "oh ok".

So to summarize, I was impressed with the TouchPad, not so impressed with Best Buy's ability to sell it to customers. At least at this store, I can't see too many people buying it when they're powered off and the sales associates don't know any details about the product.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 06/30/2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Volcom45 and Jake_M like this.
    For now, I will say right now that after visiting my BB to see a Veer, and seeing every single dummy phone imaginable, I don't have high hopes for seeing a fully working TouchPad, but I will update this later.

Oh, all the tablets were dummy too, except for the Playbook, and it seems like that was stuck on restarting...
    @DanPLC, Your experience made me do a facepalm. I really hope HP and all retailers make their sales associates eat, breath, think, and sleep webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    @DanPLC, Your experience made me do a facepalm. I really hope HP and all retailers make their sales associates eat, breath, think, and sleep webOS.
    It's sad because HP has a good product but nobody's going to know about it (well at my store...not sure about the other retail stores out there).
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Oh I forgot one detail. There was a spot next to the TouchPad with a Veer sticker, but the Veer was missing. So never got a chance to play with one.

The OP needs to add two stores which I've already posted but apparently have gotten skipped:

Williamsburg, VA:
    Walmart - In stock
    Best Buy - (apparently) a lot in stock

also, has anyone who has visited these stores seen the accessories for them? Either case or touchstone?
  18.    #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    The OP needs to add two stores which I've already posted but apparently have gotten skipped:

Williamsburg, VA:
    Walmart - In stock
    Best Buy - (apparently) a lot in stock

also, has anyone who has visited these stores seen the accessories for them? Either case or touchstone?
    Fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by wushu2004 View Post
    For now, I will say right now that after visiting my BB to see a Veer, and seeing every single dummy phone imaginable, I don't have high hopes for seeing a fully working TouchPad, but I will update this later.

Oh, all the tablets were dummy too, except for the Playbook, and it seems like that was stuck on restarting...
    My expierence was identical. No display no demo veer or touchpad. I didnt bother asking. I dont plan on getting one but would have liked to play with it.

Even down to the blackberry playbook stuck in a reboot loop lol
    Quote Originally Posted by wushu2004 View Post
    Haha... even while turned on the Playbook is a dummy tablet. I played with one at a Sprint store a while back and was not impressed. The only thing they did right was to rip off WebOS's cards.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast