Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Went to the Best Buy in Cincinnati, OH at 9871 Waterstone Blvd (off of Fields Ertel / Mason-Montgomery) and they put the Touchpad out on display literally minutes before I got there. In fact, while I was using it, they came up to put a SKU sticker on the back of it.

The sales associate explained they just had their HP training, so I let him explain Just Type, cards, wiping, etc. to me. I acted like I didn't know anything about it. He did a good job and seemed fairly knowledgeable on the Touchpad. I asked if he would buy one and he admitted probably not, but that is because there are a lot of tablets and he isn't sure if there is one that meets his needs.

I don't think it felt any heavier than my 1st gen iPad. It was quick and responsive, except for the demo app trying to interrupt all the time. The calendar app looked great to me, as did the pictures. I couldn't get it to play any sound, not sure why that was. Regardless, I am really looking forward to getting my own!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Played with a TP today at my Best Buy. I was worried at first about some of the issue I was hearing about. The TP was hooked up to wifi so it seemed to speed along really well. I thought it was responsive although there were a couple times when it did not respond to a touch such as pressing play in Sparkle.The screen looked nice but nothing eye opening. Kinda that "just anotehr screen" feel. Flash worked surprisingly well. Email opened instantly as did the memos app and photos. I had seen some "lag" on all of those from the videos. I did notice that as you scrolled through the photos, the picture took a brief moment to come into focus. Te keyboard worked fine. Scrolling lists was decent although not as smooth as an Ipad(sorry for the cliche). It just seems that it doesn't flow as far and comes to a stop much sooner. What was most amazing was the card experience. On the TP, it really comes across as the most desktop like experience on a mobile OS. General scrolling through the OS and things like pinch to zoom worked great. I'm really glad they included the upswipe because using that button would really diminish some of the OS polish. I really didn't have much interest in TP but after playing with it, I'll give it some more thought.

Pros- overall responsive and smooth, 3.0 is gorgeous, the card experience is on a whole other level, built very well

Cons- no camera app, it is kinda heavy and might get uncomfortable after holding for awhile, no advanced gestures
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Bestbuy in Germantown, Maryland has 2 display units. I couldn't find any in the Walmart next door.
    Best Buy in Houston, TX @ 290 & Spring Cypress has 2 units on display. They have completely redone their computer section to feature tablets and e-readers and the Touchpad has the prime location front and center as you walk up.

I played with it for about 15 minutes and I'm sold. I'll be getting one on July 1st. It felt snappy and responsive. Way better than my (still alive & kicking) Sprint Pre-. I was very impressed.
    I went to 2 Best Buys this morning trying to find a working Demo.

The first (2701 Cherry Ave., Signal Hill , CA 90755) had nothing but the HP display. No demo units.

The second (6310 E Pacific Coast Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90803) had just put one 16GB and one 32GB demo unit on the HP display. Unfortunately, they had a power problem and the TP units had no power going to them and the batteries were dead. One of the employees opened a power strip for me and found power from a another display so I could try the unit out. The 16GB unit would not show anything other than the battery charging screen. The 32GB unit started to put but froze on some screen show that it was supposed to boot into demo version 3 but that's as far as it would go. I could not get it to reboot.

The only things I can really comment on are the weight and build quality. Neither unit felt heavier than my Samsung Galaxy Tab (a woot! refurb I bought to see what Android was all about). Since the units were tethered to a heavy anti-theft device, it's hard to realistically judge the weight.

I did notice that the glass on the 16GB unit felt a little loose in the plastic backing. I could feel the plastic flex away from the glass when I squeezed the sides. The 32GB unit did not have this problem.

It looks like the only TP I'll be able to play with is the one I purchase from Amazon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  6.    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
    ...The second (6310 E Pacific Coast Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90803) had just put one 16GB and one 32GB demo unit on the HP display...
    They had a 16gb version, right there in the store huh? Interesting....
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Office Depot - Oldsmar, FL
    Great experience. The salesperson had trained himself on HP's website and seemed quite knowledgeable. It was so great to get hands on to a live machine. Getting really excited.
    Indianpolis Best Buy Castleton. Was hooked to wifi as well. Had an apple logo as the wall paper that I had to remove. I was in a bit of hurry but took some video holding my phone with one hand and working the touchpad with the other. Everything seemed fast to me. Check out the vid.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    They had a 16gb version, right there in the store huh? Interesting....
    I think I lied. I believe both were 32GB. I rechecked the pics I took (more than those posted) and one side of the display just had a $599 price tag, the other had both a $499 and $599 and I wrongly assumed that that side was the 16GB version.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by simonh View Post
    Indianpolis Best Buy Castleton. Was hooked to wifi as well. Had an apple logo as the wall paper that I had to remove. I was in a bit of hurry but took some video holding my phone with one hand and working the touchpad with the other. Everything seemed fast to me. Check out the vid.

As long as the Avon Best Buy has mine waiting for me on Friday morning, that is good enough for me.

Great job wiping that apple trash off the wallpaper.
    Best Buy on Highway 290 in Cypress, TX

I took a few terrible pics with my veer, Ill edit and upload here.

EDIT:

Last edited by mikevember; 06/28/2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added pics.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    Quote Originally Posted by simonh View Post

That's where I was today. One of the BB reps was really interested in the TP and was enthusiastic about it. That's the same place I got my Pre over 2 years ago.
    Fry's on Brokaw in San Jose. Associate tried twice to show me the galaxy tab... no thank you sir...
    Greenwood, IN BB has them up and running. Played with the 32GB a bit paired my phone etc... Smooth and fast as far as I could tell.

The thing that had me LMAO (after walking 6 of their associates through a preorder the other day) was the hand written sign over the Tpad I was playing with stating "Taking preorders until July 1st".

Hilarious.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    not yet here at BB laurel,md
    I've been trying to keep up w/ this thread, but has anybody found a TP in Northern VA?
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Found out about: boot up time from a completely dead battery, hulu, and how to take a screenshot.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...14#post3008214
    I went to the BB on Southside in Jacksonville, FL and they have 2 of them!! The BB employees came back from that HP party and both of them are sold! I saw a 1080p youtube video and I was drooling over the counter! I thought I was watching my Samsung Plamsa tv there for a second. They said the Russell Brand commercial was shown last night and he said something like "See this is true multi-tasking" as he showed the device. They are REALLY excited aobut the TP. I connected the device to my phone and talked on it with no problem. At first I was going to wait until the TP2/Opal because they are lighter but now I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about buying it tomorrow! I was EXTREMELY impressed. There is a an extremly small amount of lag when the demo comes back up but the BB rep said that the real TP will not have this issue because he played around with one yesterday at the event. TP will become gain a market share when HP decides to advertise the mess out of it like the iPAD is!
    Quote Originally Posted by icicle1906 View Post
    I went to the BB on Southside in Jacksonville, FL and they have 2 of them!! The BB employees came back from that HP party and both of them are sold! I saw a 1080p youtube video and I was drooling over the counter! I thought I was watching my Samsung Plamsa tv there for a second. They said the Russell Brand commercial was shown last night and he said something like "See this is true multi-tasking" as he showed the device. They are REALLY excited aobut the TP. I connected the device to my phone and talked on it with no problem. At first I was going to wait until the TP2/Opal because they are lighter but now I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about buying it tomorrow! I was EXTREMELY impressed. There is a an extremly small amount of lag when the demo comes back up but the BB rep said that the real TP will not have this issue because he played around with one yesterday at the event. TP will become gain a market share when HP decides to advertise the mess out of it like the iPAD is!
    Thank you for this post, I am looking forward to all the advertisement and glad they are ready to go!
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Went the BB in Union Square yesterday after work to check it out, and someone had already broken the micro usb port so it was dead and not charging. Who does that?!