Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Anyone from Hawaii seen one yet? I have checked my local bestbuys and walmarts 5 locations and no TP to be seen. Bestbuy reps had no idea what I was even talking about.. I maybe the ONLY WebOS user on this island left! Haha
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Actually played with it around 6:00p today at the Union Square Best Buy.

General thoughts: It's very fast in most applications, and the major time spent waiting was due to webpage loads/calendar synch from Best Buy's cruddy wi-fi. Once the calendar was up and running it ran very well. Could not get Maps to run. I was running a dozen apps or so at once, including a game or two, and still very snappy with everything.

The resizeable keyboard is a godsend. Had it on XS and still no errors (I kind of have skinny fingers though).

You can synch a phone via bluetooth and it gives you the option to send MMS and phone calls to the device, though I personally could not get it to work with my Pixi Plus running 1.4.5. Going to try and attach a pic I took of the bluetooth screen, sorry if its crap.

Webpages load nicely. Ran Precentral very well, even the dropdown menus which I haven't seen in other web apps. Also played with Facebook, Youtube and Yelp, rendered perfectly for me.

There was some sort of webcam/presentation app that seemed to be useful for conference calling, forget what it was called but the UI was neat.

I can try to answer other questions if you ask!
    Last edited by okrayski; 06/27/2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Fix pics
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Kyleo if you find the TouchPad at Union Square store let us know what you think. Good luck.
    Yup! Just again went today to actually get to play around with it. No pictures because my stupid phone HAD TO DIE...

But here are my thoughts on the HP Touchpad:

First the way it looks, is really attractive. It is able to grab your attention right away. The back has a plastic feel but really it's not. I do suggest to get a case ASAP just in case. Rather be safe then sorry.

The Weight is pretty good. No complaints. Just over 1lb. Yes it is heavier then the Ipad/Ipad 2 but honestly you would not know if you don't use the Ipad.

Ok now onto the actual HP Touchpad;

The opening is quick and works pretty well. When you get to the home page it looks good. No lag what so ever. I got to look at the small things like calendar, or notes and works pretty well. The Calendar looks like it is good for those who have A LOT of things to do, like me.

The apps could be better, but I am not going to worry. HP WILL have better apps and it will come. Also the Quick Office allows you to read only, NOT EDIT YET. That is a BIG no no.

The internet was REALLY GOOD. Fast, and very little problems. Wi-Fi looks like it connected right away and the bluetooth is a plus. They had a printer I was able to test it on and it was QUICK which is something I liked.

The keyboard is AMAZING! 3 sizes and that is a HUGE HUGE PLUS!

Talking to the Best Buy Rep, he said he liked the HP Touchpad more then a lot of the Andriod. He said though he didn't know if it would compete with the Ipad 2.

But Overall I would give this 4/5.

Any questions you can ask me.
    I'd like to know:

About the facebook app - is it on the demo's?

What is the Acid3 test score for the browser?
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I'd like to know:

About the facebook app - is it on the demo's?

What is the Acid3 test score for the browser?
    Facebook app not on the demo I used, but access to the full site via the browser was.

I could not connect to the app store as it had no palm profile logged in, didn't use mine or think about making a random one.

Did not do an Acid3.
    I have to ask this stupid question: can you use a non-webOS for any of these features -SMS/calling on the TouchPad?

And an even stupider question: can I use my Android phone (EVO 4G) to tether with the TouchPad?
    I've been to three wal-marts in the twin cities:

Forest Lake Super: No display, no unit
    Vadnais Heights dumpy: No display, no unit
    Stillwater Super: they had a display, no unit

Anybody else in the twin cities metro check out other wal-marts?
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    Wal-Mart at RoundRock, Texas has them five in stock.

Not displayed yet. but the manager will let you take one out and play with it, fyi. Display should be up by tommarow evening he said. All Austin, Texas area display units he told me are to me up by Wendsday of this week.
    Thank you so much for the info, here in Austin and I am dying to touch one.
    Quote Originally Posted by okrayski View Post
    Facebook app not on the demo I used, but access to the full site via the browser was.

I could not connect to the app store as it had no palm profile logged in, didn't use mine or think about making a random one.

Did not do an Acid3.
    I did an Acid3 and it showed 92 (I did it a few times, once it showed 100 but mostly it went to 92).

More from my experience posted in this thread,:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3006108
    Can someone please go to the Sounds settings and see what options you have there? Possibly take a screenshot if you can.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Well They have them at the Round Rock Wal-Mart of hwy 79. I got Luck and the Manger was there and opened it up we got it up and running and I played with it for 20mins or so. He had no training and had never used an WebOS device so he was as interested as me.

Some of the things I took away, would be a lot of what has already been posted. After it gets thru booting up and syncing it is really Fast and responsive. I was really surprised to tell you the truth.

The other thing for me at least is it really felt good in my hand. It is hard to explain, but it has that pre pebble rock curve to it very smooth so it is very nice to hold. The other thing I would note is the weight is very distributed evenly IMO. What I mean is it is not as light as the IPAD 2, but because it does not seem that much heavier when holding it. Also not as thin as the IPad2, but it just feels good in the hands, I think this is the pebble rock design IMO. The other Slates are more square or block type design, they have an edge. This my initial thought seemed to curve just right while holding it.

Now the back felt slick, I kept thinking why did they not use the soft touch paint like the Pre's. My only guess is that the soft touch would not allow for the case to have inductive charging. I guess they figure everyone will have a case on it so no need for soft touch paint.

It was fast IMO, the screen looked great also.
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    Well They have them at the Round Rock Wal-Mart of hwy 79. I got Luck and the Manger was there and opened it up we got it up and running and I played with it for 20mins or so. He had no training and had never used an WebOS device so he was as interested as me.

Some of the things I took away, would be a lot of what has already been posted. After it gets thru booting up and syncing it is really Fast and responsive. I was really surprised to tell you the truth.

The other thing for me at least is it really felt good in my hand. It is hard to explain, but it has that pre pebble rock curve to it very smooth so it is very nice to hold. The other thing I would note is the weight is very distributed evenly IMO. What I mean is it is not as light as the IPAD 2, but because it does not seem that much heavier when holding it. Also not as thin as the IPad2, but it just feels good in the hands, I think this is the pebble rock design IMO. The other Slates are more square or block type design, they have an edge. This my initial thought seemed to curve just right while holding it.

Now the back felt slick, I kept thinking why did they not use the soft touch paint like the Pre's. My only guess is that the soft touch would not allow for the case to have inductive charging. I guess they figure everyone will have a case on it so no need for soft touch paint.

It was fast IMO, the screen looked great also.
    I've got four different stores to visit come Friday, and they're all down here in south Austin so I can't wait to play with the Touchpad though. Thanks for the review and I'm glad i'm not the only one in Austin on these forums!
    Nice overview, thanks! Re. the back, the original Pre's Touchstone back cover was rubberized, so that's not a reason why HP didn't use it for the Touchstone.

I believe if they used a different material in the back from the front, it would not be aesthetically pleasing, IMNSHO, of course.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ered-more.html

I got to my local Walmart (Orem, UT) and got them to pull this fresh out of the packaging and fire it up for me to play around with.

Looks great. Was a bit laggy because of the 'demo' mode which kept trying to play and launch--I think it runs constantly in the background.

Feels great in the hand and I wowed the Walmart employees later by showing them multitasking and answering a phone call from my Sprint Pre- through the touchpad.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwhead321 View Post
    Feels great in the hand and I wowed the Walmart employees later by showing them multitasking and answering a phone call from my Sprint Pre- through the touchpad.
    Pray, tell: how exactly did you pair the TP with your Sprint Pre?
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    Pray, tell: how exactly did you pair the TP with your Sprint Pre?
    Did the same with mine. Sorry, don't remember the exact wording, but in the BT setup, you select "Add WebOS Phone" as a device. It immediately recognized my phone (none of the usual "wait a bit" that I normally see when pairing). Selected that (Palm Pre-, wtih WebOS 2.1), and I was good to go.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Did the same with mine. Sorry, don't remember the exact wording, but in the BT setup, you select "Add WebOS Phone" as a device. It immediately recognized my phone (none of the usual "wait a bit" that I normally see when pairing). Selected that (Palm Pre-, wtih WebOS 2.1), and I was good to go.
    Yeah it was super easy and straightforward. Just a couple taps and--boom, ready to go!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Tried a couple of Best Buy's again today one at Midrivers in St. Charles, MO and the other in Bridgeton. I was told that they did have demo units on site but they hadn't been given the green light to put them out yet and didn't expect to be able to until 7/1.

The Midrivers BB rep gushed about the device, saying that the staff had been given a demo and it was cool, specifically the ability to transfer calls and the video conferencing capabilities. She said it was a great product and directed me to pre-order from the website.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwhead321 View Post
    Yeah it was super easy and straightforward. Just a couple taps and--boom, ready to go!
    Any of these with a Pre- running 1.4.5?
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    Any of these with a Pre- running 1.4.5?
    Yes. Mine was with Spring Pre- 1.4.5 from 06/06/2009--still ticking!