Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Fry's in Plano, TX has a demo unit. Unfortunately, no WiFi connection.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Folks, more updates please.
    [QUOTE=RyanCell;3002953]Update: per above Arlington Road Walmart in Akron Ohio.

I played with it for about 10 minutes. (edit: wife says more like a half hour haha) Very fast. Opens apps as fast as you can open them. I connected w my Sprint Pre on freetether & it loaded pages pretty quickly. So i'd assume wifi at home will fly! I asked if they'd sell them at midnight & he said oh these aren't for sale yet? So I bet they'll sell early. I was very impressed & had a excitement buzz like a kid does for xmas haha and i'm 30yrs old!

Things I learned
    -the button that makes apps switch has a lightbar behind it and isn't always lit. Pics looked like it was a printed white line.
    -No camera app to just view the cam & take pics even tho its front facing
    -It had air hockey hd, sparkle hd, some kids piano game and some others preloaded.
    -its very awesome
    -it was hard to leave the store [QUOTE]

I will be visiting this bad boy tomorrow!
    just finished playing with it!!!! So awesome! The only time it lagged was when I was doing a bunch of stuff and the HP demonstration thingy kept cutting in trying to take over the device. I connected my Sprint pre to it with freetether and buetooth. Calls were awesome! Wifi was fast. Everything I want!
    @blackfireball5 What is the configuration of your Sprint Pre? Are you still running 1.4.5? I'm asking because I haven't doctored my Sprint Pre to 2.x yet. Thanks.
    Can this thread be sticky 'til launch maybe?
    i just called a bunch of walmarts in the Denver metro area and no luck i specifically asked to be transfered to the electronics dept, and most of the people i spoke to there have no clue what an HP Touchpad is. i also stopped by about 4 different stores and none of them has any sort of display set up yet. they all have displays for iPads and iPods though.

anyone else in CO care to chime in with your experiences?
    I'm guessing there may not be demo units in large metro areas until the reviews come out.
    Also many units may be in transit, timed to arrive the afternoon of June 30th or later.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    i just called a bunch of walmarts in the Denver metro area and no luck i specifically asked to be transfered to the electronics dept, and most of the people i spoke to there have no clue what an HP Touchpad is. i also stopped by about 4 different stores and none of them has any sort of display set up yet. they all have displays for iPads and iPods though.

Same here. I also called the Best Buy on Colorado Blvd (maybe 5-7 days ago) and they couldn't give me an indication whether they'd have it by the first. The Best Buy way out at the Southlands Mall has their display (cardboard) up all nice and pretty, and I even spoke with a manager there and couldn't get an indication either.

I had a reeeeally tough time tracking down a Veer too, even a couple weeks after launch.

I've considered posting a "Does HP hate Colorado?!" thread (but there's enough complaining on here )

If I find one I'll let you know! I was considering trying the rounds again on Monday or Tuesday. Seems more likely they'd be there the week of launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Can this thread be sticky 'til launch maybe?
    Stickied until 7/1.
    I'm not too concerned about playing with one, as I'll count down the minutes until I get mine. However, the new BB in Belmar had the worst display, and I'm not even sure you could call it a display. It was an endcap with a very small and thin cardboard display of the TouchPad. The rest of my experience is here, but it wasn't great. Not a Wal-Mart person so I'm not too sure about the ones in Lakewood. But it does seem like Denver is behind a bit from hearing what you guys are saying!
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Well, I spent an hour driving around to two Super Walmart in Raleigh, NC. I figured the bigger store might have them. I'm sad to report that the one in Brier Creek and New Hope Church Rd did not have them. In fact there's no sign on anything TouchPad related at all at both stores. I even tried the Best Buy near the Super Walmart at Brier Creek. Again no sign of the Touchpad, not even an empty display! Both Walmart did have the PlayBook out on display and turned on.
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    I'm not too concerned about playing with one, as I'll count down the minutes until I get mine. However, the new BB in Belmar had the worst display, and I'm not even sure you could call it a display. It was an endcap with a very small and thin cardboard display of the TouchPad. The rest of my experience is here, but it wasn't great. Not a Wal-Mart person so I'm not too sure about the ones in Lakewood. But it does seem like Denver is behind a bit from hearing what you guys are saying!
    The Best Buy in Avon, IN has the same end-cap style display. It is situated on the end of the 3rd row into the computer department, next to the customer "service" station. You have to walk past all the other tablets to get to it. On the plus side, the Xoom display was on an end-cap as well (aisle 1 instead of 3), but it had 2 units with dead batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by rburtz View Post
    @blackfireball5 What is the configuration of your Sprint Pre? Are you still running 1.4.5? I'm asking because I haven't doctored my Sprint Pre to 2.x yet. Thanks.
    2.1 Sprint pre -
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    Well, I spent an hour driving around to two Super Walmart in Raleigh, NC. I figured the bigger store might have them. I'm sad to report that the one in Brier Creek and New Hope Church Rd did not have them. In fact there's no sign on anything TouchPad related at all at both stores. I even tried the Best Buy near the Super Walmart at Brier Creek. Again no sign of the Touchpad, not even an empty display! Both Walmart did have the PlayBook out on display and turned on.
    to my surprise, the walmart in Ohio that i went to from this thread is actually a pretty crappy and small (based on others I've seen) one. I'm thinking maybe that they aren't supposed to put them out till the 1st but the smaller stores don't really care maybe? not sure. all i know is that thing is AWESOME.
    Last edited by blackfireball5; 06/26/2011 at 06:49 PM.

same exact experience for me in Indianapolis. Nobody has a damn clue.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

You are lucky that someone at the electronics department actually picked up. The electronics department at the 2 stores I called never picked up. I know there's a reason I don't shop at Walmart.
    I've actually been going to and calling Walmarts just to see if I can play with a Touchpad LOL. I'd been to one several years ago when I first moved here and needed to get a scraper for the snow on my way home. Anyhow, I'm bummed that no store around here has a TouchPad I didn't even bother checking BB since I thought that all these early display units were being put out at Walmarts.
    Jacksonville, FL:
    • Walmart - Hodges & Beach Blvd - has display, no unit
    • Walmart - Kernan & Atlantic Blvd - No Display, No unit
    • Walmart - US 1 & Southside Blvd - No Display, no Unit
    • Walmart - US 1 & Emerson - No display, no unit
    • Walmart - San Jose & I295 - Has Display, no unit
    • Bestbuy - Southside Blvd & I95 - HP Display with HP Beats headphones, by the computers

I guess I will have to go in sometime during Friday to play with it.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    No luck at the Walmart in White Plains, NY. Couldn't find a display, much less a touchpad...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast