Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am going to my local walmart and if they have a TP on display I want to install preware. How do i do it?
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Why don't you leave it alone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    Why don't you leave it alone?
    Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Right, this is a message board, after all... /sarcasm
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    hahah i think u need a pc.. and u have to figure out how to put it into devmode. try typing upupdowndownleftrightleftrightabstart
    or hpwebos2011
    a dev mode icon should show up... once u have that enabled then u need a pc with webosquickinstall, installed and u can side load preware... not sure if it will work with 3.0 though... ure on unchartted grounds -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    youll need a Preware .ipk and the webos 3.0 SDK most likely, you will have to drop the ipk onto palm-install with the Touchpad connected and the correct novacom installed.

EDIT: Lots of opinions here I thought I should add mine. Someone made a "request/suggestion" on twitter and OP wants to help out, OP didnt ask if it was right. Give the OP a break, either help him or go away. Report this thread if you have a serious problem with it and let the mods decide.
    Last edited by mikevember; 06/24/2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: op
    First - putting Preware on the device without the owner's permission seems like a major violation of trust.

Second - I'm not aware of Preware being tested and validated on WebOS 3 - which is what is used on the TouchPad.

Third - Putting Preware on the device would probably not open many gates if the patches are all listed as non-compatible due to OS version mismatch.

Fourth - No one has stated clearly that the dev mode we all use and love is alive and well on this hardware.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks ijip and mikevember! I just dont get some people. Hopefully mods wont let that happen again.
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Why are so many people throwing a fit? I'm sure the OP is asking this after he saw Rod's Tweet:

Rod probably tweeted it jokingly, but I can see how someone like me (or the OP) would look at this & see it as a dare, or challenge and try to go do it. If there was a Walmart near me, I'd go right a head & do it. And if the person in Walmart asks why am I connecting my laptop to the demo unti? I'll jut say something like: I just want to get a feel for all the features, and see how it works with my laptop (or some crap like that). Get Preware up and running, snap a pic or take a video & Booyah!!!
    Post it right here in the Forums
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Appreciate your sense of humor
    Probably best to go to the IRC webos-internals channel and ask them, link below.
    And perhaps we just let this thread go and create some harmony.

freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)
    Nobody will be able to actually tell you how to do it until at least July 1. I would venture a guess the how to do it is already handled.

Until devices are publicly available your problem comes in the form of 3 letters.

N D A

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    My opinion is don't screw it, if something goes wrong you are cutting few customers who dont know how webOS works and they might say it hangs let take a look at ipad2, oh it works lets buy it
    Put all you need on a thumb drive and take you pre cable, the touchpad is within distance to HP laptops. . The rest is history, "talking from experience... possibly".

Make sure you have the preware version with the large screen updates.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    The store display Touchpads have a developer mode locked password on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Yes it does.

I can not and will not say anymore.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
  16.    #16  
    wish I could see your work demetry. Imagine how cool it would be going to your local walmart to check out the TP and preware is on it. Lol great job
    You will see Preware on a Touchpad soon enough. To be the first is nothing special unless say you were the one to create Preware itself.

"Yes that was a shout-out to the Preware fella's"

Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    You will see Preware on a Touchpad soon enough.
    I would guess it's already been seen by some folks (unless the TP is in customs still).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    I believe all the demo units are devmode password protected. Unless someone gives that up it would be pretty hard to put it in devmode.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
  20.    #20  
    how do you put it in developer mode?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast