1.    #1  
    Hey Guys,

First off let me say that I used the search function, and couldn't find a solid answer to my question.

I'm seriously considering buying a HP TouchPad at launch because I'm in need of a tablet, but don't want to jump on the Apple bandwagon with the TouchPad right around the corner.

WebOS appears to allow TouchPad devices to pair with Palm handhelds to allow sharing messages, calls, etc. Will that kind of pairing be possible with other devices? Specifically, will I be able to pair a TouchPad with my iPhone 4 to get messaging and calls like the demo at the webOS App Developer Conference demonstrated with a Palm device?

iPad 2's iOS 5 update coming out in a couple months will integrate things like the new iCloud based iMessenger system which will sync my messages. If TouchPad can do the same with my phone through bluetooth (like it appears it can do with Palms) than that's fantastic.
    Would be sweet! If anyone knows for sure, please post. My two cents, it won't work with anything other than HP/Palm phones.
    Someone needs to go to their Wal-Fart with a TP display and give this a shot. Also with the Pre-.
    Syncing sms messages are associated using the Palm profiles not the bluetooth. Also since the phone call is incoming to the phone, not the TP, the phone software has to be smart enough to redirect the call to the bluetooth TP. Therefore I doubt that iOS will be smart enough to redirect its phone calls to a bluetoothed adapter, although HP did say that they left developer hooks open for any Bluetooth device to do this so it would be up to iOS devs to write something for this.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yes im pretty sure u will be able to do call forwarding within a month of launch via some patch for other phones. it will be like using the TP as ure bluetooth headset. but sms seems a bit more tricky and may not be possible.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    D'oh I forgot to try this when I was playing with demo unit at Fry's.
    Last edited by jobsqeu; 06/25/2011 at 05:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    since the phone call is incoming to the phone, not the TP, the phone software has to be smart enough to redirect the call to the bluetooth TP. Therefore I doubt that iOS will be smart enough to redirect its phone calls to a bluetoothed adapter, although HP did say that they left developer hooks open for any Bluetooth device to do this so it would be up to iOS devs to write something for this.
    I agree, it will not be a shortcoming of the TouchPad, it will be as a result of it just being new technology and the iOS and Android platforms needing new apps or OS improvments to take advantage of it.
    So I tried pairing my iPhone 4 to the Touchpad at Fry's after turning BT on on both devices. No joy. Neither device even acknowledged the other's presence. Interestingly, there were four filter categories in the BT settings of the Touchpad

1) Audio
    2) Pre
    3)webOS
    4) Other

The Touchpad detected several Macs and also the Win 7 devices next to it. The Win 7 device thought the touchpad was a Palm Bluetooth headset.
  9.    #9  
    Syncing sms messages are associated using the Palm profiles not the bluetooth. Also since the phone call is incoming to the phone, not the TP, the phone software has to be smart enough to redirect the call to the bluetooth TP. Therefore I doubt that iOS will be smart enough to redirect its phone calls to a bluetoothed adapter, although HP did say that they left developer hooks open for any Bluetooth device to do this so it would be up to iOS devs to write something for this.
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm hoping there is an option at some point to somehow "pair" (account sharing / bluetooth / whatever) so I can sync my messages and things together. I shelled out the money for my iPhone and dont want to have to buy another hand held device just to get the full functionality out of the TouchPad. Would be a bummer if HP kept all that goodness to just their devices.
    Syncing sms messages are associated using the Palm profiles not the bluetooth.
    Where did you get this information? It is patently incorrect though. How does your Palm Profile know you are getting an SMS from your cellular provider?

Unless I missed something through all this info. Also if it was your Palm Profile, why would TTS then be dependent on the OS version of the phone?

From the amount of time we have spent in threads discussing TTS, I really hope you have some source you got this info from and aren't just throwing out bad information that will continue to get repeated on the forums.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    what HP said at announcement and has been reported in the forums is that text/sms sharing will only be with webOS phones running 2.2 or later.

I believe that it could be made to work on other devices if other phone makers added support on their devices. It would be a major win if apple and android were to add that... But I am not holding my breath.