Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    so you have to ask them to order online to get 16g ship to your local store.

what normal tablet buyer gonna specifically do that?

the serious question was always about the model availability to general buyer who walks into a retail store. using meaningless debate tacktics does not help hp in any way or shape.
    Actually, you have to order both for delivery to the store at this point, they don't have them in stock (yet).

As far as "debate tacktics (sic)", the initial statement you made was that HP wasn't allowing the retail outlets to carry them, in an attempt to force people to buy the 32gb version.

HP is obviously allowing retail outlets to carry the 16gb version. Currently, the process to purchase either is exactly the same. I don't think HP's trying to force anyone to buy one over the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    Yeah, sure. Let us miss the point about the iPad 2 being the competitor of the Touchpad, and the Touchpad is laggier and less snappy, come, just look at the email app, it's depressing.
    Depressing? I think 3 pane layout looks great. Is there something specific you've seen that makes it depressing? It looks snappy and effective to me in every video I've seen. Look at this video....

That makes you depressed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Depressing? I think 3 pane layout looks great. Is there something specific you've seen that makes it depressing? It looks snappy and effective to me in every video I've seen. Look at this video....

That makes you depressed?
    Actually, yes, in that video he's basely only jumping from card to card without actually doing something, but when he does, you see the slowness, for example, when he actually uses the mail app (when he adds the other pane), when he taps on an element (I can count how long it takes, not to mention it stays "marked" a long, long time).

I really like WebOS, a lot, but it seems like it is still not hardware accelerated, for instance, they shouldn't show Flash with its current performance (compare it to the playbook for example). The UI really needs to be rendered by the GPU.
    I wouldn't call it depressing, but lag is still present in mail app, less than before, but still present. I really cant understand how they can't optimize generic apps this late from February announcement? I'm curious to see TP performance under some load.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I wouldn't call it depressing, but lag is still present in mail app, less than before, but still present. I really cant understand how they can't optimize generic apps this late from February announcement? I'm curious to see TP performance under some load.
    The lag characteristic of webOS is something that's always interested me. I've heard a lot of folks say it's a result of webOS not being written in compiled language, but then other folks come along and say there's no reason an interpreted-language-based OS can't be as buttery smooth as a compiled one, given enough optimization.

Not sure who to believe.

One thing seems true: no matter how much processing power you throw at webOS, some parts of it always seem laggy.
    Actually, yes, in that video he's basely only jumping from card to card without actually doing something, but when he does, you see the slowness, for example, when he actually uses the mail app (when he adds the other pane), when he taps on an element (I can count how long it takes, not to mention it stays "marked" a long, long time).

I really like WebOS, a lot, but it seems like it is still not hardware accelerated, for instance, they shouldn't show Flash with its current performance (compare it to the playbook for example). The UI really needs to be rendered by the GPU.
    Well of course because he's demoing the device. When he adds the other pane, he's downloading his whole inbox for that account to show in the middle pane which it does in a second and why that button shows it has been depressed because its performing a function. That's not lag. For example look at this ipad 2 video where he syncs with gmail.

Once he gets to access inbox just like what we see on the TP video. Actually the ipad 2 takes a little bit longer but that could be because of the internet which could also be a factor in your feeling of lag on the TP video.

Some of webos is hardware accelerated but not all features are. Flash 10.3 on the TP is one that is hardware accelerated but its also Flash so its a crapshoot anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    The lag characteristic of webOS is something that's always interested me. I've heard a lot of folks say it's a result of webOS not being written in compiled language, but then other folks come along and say there's no reason an interpreted-language-based OS can't be as buttery smooth as a compiled one, given enough optimization.

Not sure who to believe.

One thing seems true: no matter how much processing power you throw at webOS, some parts of it always seem laggy.
    Probably somewhere in between. There are plenty of bloated, poorly-optimized compiled apps, especially on Windows. There are also fast and slow web apps. It depends on the amount of effort, although making a compiled app fast probably requires less work.
  8.    #48  
    I'm thinking of the lag I experience when using my iPod, finding an article in safari, closing safari to open email, starting an email about the article, forgetting one line in the article I particularly like, closing the email, opening safari, checking history for the article, bringing the article up again to re-read that one line, then closing safari to go back to my saved email and add commentary about that line.

Of course, the lag happens quickly, so iOS > webOS..
    The iPad Mail app is pretty slow and laggy, particularly in portrait where the lack of panes is... er... painful.
  10.    #50  
    or the lag between when I hear about an app I'd like, and when I get back home to connect the iPod to my computer and iTunes. Of course, there'll be OTA updates in iOS 5, after the Touchpad is released, "In coming months".

or the lag between getting my iThing, jailbreaking it, and installing apps I actually want to use.

or the lag between finding a flash link, discovering it won't play, and going home to see it on my PC.

etc. I could go on. And that's not even addressing the various flavours of Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    or the lag between when I hear about an app I'd like, and when I get back home to connect the iPod to my computer and iTunes. Of course, there'll be OTA updates in iOS 5, after the Touchpad is released, "In coming months".

or the lag between getting my iThing, jailbreaking it, and installing apps I actually want to use.

or the lag between finding a flash link, discovering it won't play, and going home to see it on my PC.

etc. I could go on. And that's not even addressing the various flavours of Android.
    Although my last post was actually a joke, you make a very logical point, which basically shows the pain in the *ss IOS4 is to use. I like my 4th gen ipod, but man, I still hate itunes and I still hate IOS4
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    ... until it can do _______.

?
    They can't abuse the speed anymore. And it doesn't tie your shoelaces...
    NNJ

It has nothing to do with hardware acceleration. If you've used the mail app, you know that it only downloads the header for other folders. It's "slow" because it's pulling down the body of the email.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    ...BTW, for those interested, the prediction that HP was only allowing retail outlets to have the 32gb version haven't played out true. I could have ordered the 16gb version if I'd wanted. Multiple retail outlets (including Best Buy) are now offering them.
    so you have to ask them to order online to get 16g ship to your local store.

what normal tablet buyer gonna specifically do that?

the serious question was always about the model availability to general buyer who walks into a retail store. using meaningless debate tacktics does not help hp in any way or shape.
    Let's put this silliness to rest:
    Quote Originally Posted by feltmoney View Post
    I asked the guy if he could check to see whether or not they'd have them in the store for July 1st and he said they had 12 TP 16GB units in transit and 10 TP 32GB units in transit!
    Not just 2 in for the store, and not just the 32gb version. Got that $499 all queued up?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Let's put this silliness to rest:

Not just 2 in for the store, and not just the 32gb version. Got that $499 all queued up?
    i will believe it on jul1st when reports come back in. lol
    once again if you read the comments on these videos almost everyone loves it, and alot said they preordered one. I myself need to make sure I can do some prerecording on it then Ill flip my laptop for one. looks very optimized to me though good job HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    once again if you read the comments on these videos almost everyone loves it, and alot said they preordered one. I myself need to make sure I can do some prerecording on it then Ill flip my laptop for one. looks very optimized to me though good job HP.
    i think its about comparison. Individually, they are all fast enough in certain aspects (show a splash card, have some response to a tap) and lag in others (actually load the app, fail to register taps here and there).

I don't think speed is a concern if a buyer decide to buy into one or another OS. Even for undecided buyers, it may or may not be a significant concerns, as long as its not hideously slow or unresponsive, we will know soon enough, because reviews will surely mention it if its a problem for Touchpad.
    Someone with a Wifi Hospot on their phone needs to go over there and get the wifi on and launch the app catalog and see what apps are available.

That video is showing the os at a pre-release build at MWC. Of course its going to be laggy as half of the os wasnt even done at this point. The release build is 1000x better than what was shown 4months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by bballkid590 View Post
    That video is showing the os at a pre-release build at MWC. Of course its going to be laggy as half of the os wasnt even done at this point. The release build is 1000x better than what was shown 4months ago.
    Plus, you can bet that the pre-release TouchPads all had internal logging turned on.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast