Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Real live TouchPad demo units arrive at Wal-Mart [video] | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net

Can Anyone else vouch for their local wal-mart having the demo unit ready to play with?
    I'm visiting a Wal-Mart tomorrow and I'll see if mine has it.
    Post Pics if you can!
    I called a few local stores. Mostly they hadn't heard of the touchpad.

One kid said: "nah, all we got are xoom and ipad. And we don't have an ipad display any more.. Someone stole it.."
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I was just at a super walmart yesterday and didn't see one. They have ipad, xoom and playbook but none you could use (or see unless you were looking for them expect ipad).
    I didn't even see a display booth at mines.
    That video isn't of good quality either.If I had that chance I would have been all up in the touchpads business
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post

One kid said: "nah, all we got are xoom and ipad. And we don't have an ipad display any more.. Someone stole it.."
    this made me laugh
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    went to my local super walmart, just an ipad display, no veer no touchpad. best buy next door was the same story
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    The Walmart that I went too did not have anything. The BestBuy next store had a demo/non-work and a working Veer. Funny thing was the phone had update. One and OS which I helped it along with and an update to the App Catalog. The phone was at 2.1.2 when done. I don't know what it was before that.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post

Wow. This is funny.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  9.    #9  
    Ah, I figured this was a rare situation that the article was talking about. I shall find out tomorrow though.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    The Walmart that I went too did not have anything. The BestBuy next store had a demo/non-work and a working Veer. Funny thing was the phone had update. One and OS which I helped it along with and an update to the App Catalog. The phone was at 2.1.2 when done. I don't know what it was before that.
    Interesting and I do this also. Did you download some free apps and something cool. Need to make a quick list of free demo that will help show off what webOS offers. Apple is really good and loading iPads with loads of apps to show-off and make a statement. Sorli...

BTW - I noticed your signature and good to see someone else familiar with the Commodore 64 and Amiga 4000. I also has a c64 and Amiga 500/4000 (actually I still have my Amiga 4000 and have long memories of what it had to offer). Thanks for the reminder!
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    I didn't even see a display booth at mines.
    That video isn't of good quality either.If I had that chance I would have been all up in the touchpads business
    Spoken like a true Walmart shopper. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Interesting and I do this also. Did you download some free apps and something cool. Need to make a quick list of free demo that will help show off what webOS offers. Apple is really good and loading iPads with loads of apps to show-off and make a statement. Sorli...

BTW - I noticed your signature and good to see someone else familiar with the Commodore 64 and Amiga 4000. I also has a c64 and Amiga 500/4000 (actually I still have my Amiga 4000 and have long memories of what it had to offer). Thanks for the reminder!
    I did not get to play with it enough to add anything other then the OS update and the software update to the App catalog, oh and the other program was Demo for the Phone.

Does anyone know what version of the OS the Veer shipped with?

Off Topic: I still have my 4000T set up. 2 4000DT and 2 3000, SX64, 3 Pets, The one I really wish I still had was an C65. Almost a museum.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    I went to two Walmarts in the Jacksonville area. The 1st one didn't have a display...only the Xoom in a glass case. The one in a better part of town had an open spot, including a price tag for the 32gb model, for the TouchPad. It was next to a dead Acer Iconia. There was also spots for the Acer 7" and the Xoom. I even saw the screen protectors for the TouchPad. I was so tempted to ask the staff (maybe even bribe them) for a sneak peek.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    I just got back from my local Walmart ( Pelham Rd - Greenville, SC ) and they DID HAVE IT on display. The demo unit didn't have a dedicated shelf for it, it was actually sitting in the Xoom's spot right beside some other off-brand tablet. It was running a video demo showing off all the main features when I got to it. I played with it for a good 30 minutes because I've been lusting for this device since feb 9th like most of you.

The device didn't have internet connectivity and I didn't have any means feed it either. There were a few apps/games installed, here's a list of what I saw:

1. White pages
    2. Box.net
    3. Mighty meeting
    4. The world Factbook
    5. Glow Hockey HD
    6. Sparkle
    7. Glyder 2
    8. Paratrooper HD
    9. Animal Baby Piano
    10. Paperboy ST
    11. World Book Demo
    12. Coloring Book HD
    13. Quell
    14. Quick Office

The device felt great in my hands (much better than the ipad 1 I use to own). I can't compare to ipad 2 as I've never held it. I didn't see any lag with scrolling or in general. I tried to purchase the demo unit, but the guy on the floor wouldn't let me (can you blame me for trying :P ). My little time spent with it makes me want it even more.
    Alright Quad, good deal!

You didn't happen to snap a picture of the pricetag, did you? I'd like to know Walmart's SKU so it'd be easier to locate it when I stop by.

Did you ask him if they had any units (besides the demo) available for sale?
    They didn't have a sku in front of it. Like I said, It was sitting in the Xoom's spot. There was a box for the demo unit in the case below that said "demo unit, not for sale". I was tempted to offer the kid 50$ to sell it to me anyway, but the woman was with me and prolly would kicked me **** if I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadForce View Post
    I just got back from my local Walmart ( Pelham Rd - Greenville, SC ) and they DID HAVE IT on display. The demo unit didn't have a dedicated shelf for it, it was actually sitting in the Xoom's spot right beside some other off-brand tablet. It was running a video demo showing off all the main features when I got to it. I played with it for a good 30 minutes because I've been lusting for this device since feb 9th like most of you.

The device didn't have internet connectivity and I didn't have any means feed it either. There were a few apps/games installed, here's a list of what I saw:

1. White pages
    2. Box.net
    3. Mighty meeting
    4. The world Factbook
    5. Glow Hockey HD
    6. Sparkle
    7. Glyder 2
    8. Paratrooper HD
    9. Animal Baby Piano
    10. Paperboy ST
    11. World Book Demo
    12. Coloring Book HD
    13. Quell
    14. Quick Office

The device felt great in my hands (much better than the ipad 1 I use to own). I can't compare to ipad 2 as I've never held it. I didn't see any lag with scrolling or in general. I tried to purchase the demo unit, but the guy on the floor wouldn't let me (can you blame me for trying :P ). My little time spent with it makes me want it even more.
    What can you tell us about any ofthose apps?
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Not a whole lot to tell really. They all ran just fine for me. Basic little games, nothing special. I was shocked to see it sitting there to be honest.. The home button seemed much smaller than I remember the ipad 1 being. The swipe up gesture works well. It feels great in your hands.. the weight was great.. I'm still gitty from the experience so forgive my run-on sentences..
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Alright Quad, good deal!

You didn't happen to snap a picture of the pricetag, did you? I'd like to know Walmart's SKU so it'd be easier to locate it when I stop by.

Did you ask him if they had any units (besides the demo) available for sale?
    They didn't have any in stock (he checked for me).. he said they get their truck this coming monday and then another on thursday. He couldn't tell me when they'd be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadForce View Post

1. White pages
    2. Box.net
    3. Mighty meeting
    4. The world Factbook
    5. Glow Hockey HD
    6. Sparkle
    7. Glyder 2
    8. Paratrooper HD
    9. Animal Baby Piano
    10. Paperboy ST
    11. World Book Demo
    12. Coloring Book HD
    13. Quell
    14. Quick Office

Did you take any pictures?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast