Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    saw an empty touchpad demo box at my walmart. guy there said he was filling in and was clueless. will try to check tomorrow.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Guess the cat is out now. WhitePages is an in store demo app on the TouchPad
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Stopped by my local Wal-Mart and called the closest 24 hr one, neither had a clue. "Maybe that's some thing you can only order online from our website."

I also stopped by the local Staples and talked to an assistant manager. He said that it's unlikely they will get any initially. Since they are a "secondary store", it might be 30 days after the release until they get it. It is a small town so I guess it's not surprising that they would direct initial inventory to a higher volume store.

I'm thinking it might be safer to go back to BB and pre-order instead of chancing the midnight Wal-Mart run.
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Guess the cat is out now. WhitePages is an in store demo app on the TouchPad
    congrats, great app, I used it a bunch last week.
    I called 4 walmarts till I found a TP at the smallest one. The others said they would set it up on mon. or had not heard of it.

Hopped in the car to go see it, it was a bit of a disappointment to be honest. WebOS is great, the cards whip around like nothing, but I opened the calendar and it was dog slow, 3-5 seconds before a screen would load. It was populated with demo calendar data.

I fired up free teather on my pre 2 to do some internet surfing. Went to google reader, didn't work very well in portrait mode, I had to switch it to landscape mode to get it to scroll, but it was still sluggish.

The hardware felt like my original pre, like cheap shiny plastic. it was right next to an acer tablet that was aluminum and I was jealous of the nice materials. and the android live desktop was pretty cool looking.

The speakers were really nice sounding.

the smooth edges were nicer to hold than the sharp edged ipad2 but it still felt cheap and easy to break.

Swipe up worked, but there was no wave launcher, I was disappointed about that.

The sales display was poor, it was tucked back in the corner, right under a sign that said playbook

Typing on it was hard, even just using just type. I have smallish hands so stretching my thumbs to hit keys in the middle was not super easy. I can see why iOS 5 has that new thumb keyboard.

My sense is that this is still a palm product. I will wait until they come out with a better version. Palm never does it right on the first iteration of something.

Too bad. I was really looking forward to it. I was anti tablet, then pro table. I think I might be more interested in a clam shell version with a kb. seems more useful.
    Last edited by japomani; 06/25/2011 at 02:59 PM.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, if hp does not release an option to split the keyboard, i sure hope someone makes a patch for that -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    Too bad. I was really looking forward to it. I was anti tablet, then pro table. I think I might be more interested in a clam shell version with a kb. seems more useful.
    AKA a laptop!
    I don't know why they decided on that smooth plastic back. Pre got quite some negative comments on a plastic back, you think they would learn from that.
    The hardware felt like my original pre, like cheap shiny plastic. it was right next to an acer tablet that was aluminum and I was jealous of the nice materials. and the android live desktop was pretty cool looking.

I called 4 walmarts till I found a TP at the smallest one. The others said they would set it up on mon. or had not heard of it.

Hopped in the car to go see it, it was a bit of a disappointment to be honest. WebOS is great, the cards whip around like nothing, but I opened the calendar and it was dog slow, 3-5 seconds before a screen would load. It was populated with demo calendar data.

I fired up free teather on my pre 2 to do some internet surfing. Went to google reader, didn't work very well in portrait mode, I had to switch it to landscape mode to get it to scroll, but it was still sluggish.

The speakers were really nice sounding.

the smooth edges were nicer to hold than the sharp edged ipad2 but it still felt cheap and easy to break.

Swipe up worked, but there was no wave launcher, I was disappointed about that.

The sales display was poor, it was tucked back in the corner, right under a sign that said playbook

Typing on it was hard, even just using just type. I have smallish hands so stretching my thumbs to hit keys in the middle was not super easy. I can see why iOS 5 has that new thumb keyboard.

My sense is that this is still a palm product. I will wait until they come out with a better version. Palm never does it right on the first iteration of something.

This is somewhat disappointing. I wonder if the internet connection had anything to do with the sluggish-ness. Maybe it was doing a lot of updating in the background since it was internet-starved.

I went back to the wal-mart where I saw the empty stand and it was still not there. No boxes, nothing. I even asked two different people who had no clue. I attached photos of the setup.

Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Do they have a shelf space for 16G on display?
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I went back to the wal-mart where I saw the empty stand and it was still not there.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Do they have a shelf space for 16G on display?

No. Only the 32gb for $599 as shown.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Same display at our Walmart and not much else to speak of. Walmart rep asked the local guy who was the most knowledgeable saying and I quote "Tom, what do you know about Microsoft's new tablet" where I corrected her no it's the new HP TouchPad.

They had no information and only said that the larger Super Walmarts would most likely get them first.

Either way, thanks for the pictures since I did not take any and mine would have been the same.

Also kinda disappointed with Calendar Lag and would have hoped HP corrected this by now. I guess Josh Tapolski was correct and it is time for HP to step-up or shut-up! Sorli...

[QUOTE=clevin;3Ĥ003629]I don't know why they decided on that smooth plastic back. Pre got quite some negative comments on a plastic back, you think they would learn from that.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=
    AKA a laptop!
    pretty much, but with webOS, instant on, 10 hr battery, light weight, TTS, super thin, etc.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    3 to 5 seconds waiting for a calendar to appear? That's completely unacceptable. Deal breaker for sure.

Oh you mean the split keyboard that Microsoft showed off first?

Yeah - slow loading calendar and the feel of the materials are top priority. No sale for me.

</sarcasm>

Went to walmart again today. Had the guy take the touchpad demo out of the box but he wouldn't open the packaging, said it wouldn't have power. Pretty useless.
    Went to best buy and the first guy I talked to said "no we aren't doing preorders, it's first come first serve". The next girl I talked to said "yeah that doesn't come out for almost two months".
    pretty much, but with webOS, instant on, 10 hr battery, light weight, TTS, super thin, etc.
    The batt is more like 8 hrs max, and it's not super thin.

16.    #76  
    The In-store model (Demo Only Unit) is different from the actual Touchpad, that's why they're not allowed to sell it even after it is available for sale and even if it is the last model in the store. There is something different with the software and hardware from the actual model, the Demo loop is going to slow things down, this is the way it is on laptops/desktops as well with any demo loop.
  17.    #77  
    Also another reason the Calender would lag is due to the lack of internet connection to sync with HP Synergy the accounts that the demo unit would be using (demo Microsoft Outlook, Yahoo and Google mail accounts). They all synchronize to the Calender so I can see why it would lag when it doesn't find the Events that would be scheduled in the Calender with an internet connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    Also another reason the Calender would lag is due to the lack of internet connection to sync with HP Synergy the accounts that the demo unit would be using (demo Microsoft Outlook, Yahoo and Google mail accounts). They all synchronize to the Calender so I can see why it would lag when it doesn't find the Events that would be scheduled in the Calender with an internet connection.
    This is all UI stuff. In other threads, it was pointed out that iOS uses a (admittedly clever) kludge where it'll throw a bitmap of the app up first while it's loading, thus making you think the app just sprung up instantly!

Um, webOS uses an internet connection for cloud-apps like calendar. It's no reflection on the OS that the internet is sometimes slow, based on your connection and local traffic.

The iFart apps still load like lightning though. I don't know how HP can ever compete against that.
  19.    #79  
    It just needs to be clear to folks that without an internet connection the device is going to react a little slower. HP Synergy is a key part of the Touchpad and without the internet connection, you can use your apps that don't need internet but otherwise you'll have a different kind of experience due to the fact that this is WEB ...os and it relies on the internet for quite a lot.
    3 to 5 seconds waiting for a calendar to appear?
    Not to appear, each time I interacted with it, to move one day, one week, etc. Swipe, blank screen, wait for it, lines, wait for it... ... wait for it ... events. not the right day. swipe again and repeat. Nothing like how it looked on the commercial

Swiping cards was quite nice, opening apps was quite nice.

The batt is more like 8 hrs max, and it's not super thin.
    A guy can dream, right? Like a webOS driven macbook air
    Last edited by japomani; 06/25/2011 at 07:14 PM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast