Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    During an interview at Hewlett-Packard's (HP) Palo Alto headquarters, Todd Bradley, the head of the $41 billion PC group, is, as always, full of praise toward his microprocessor suppliers. Intel (INTC) and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) are "important partners," he says. Then he holds up a TouchPad, his company's first tablet computer, which is powered by a Qualcomm (QCOM) chip and HP's in-house operating system, webOS. It goes on sale July 1, starting at $500. "The AMD-Intel thing," he says, "I think that's kind of over."

Stunning as it is to hear a PC executive essentially declare the end of the Wintel era, HP had no choice but to distance itself from the Microsoft-Intel ecosystem. For years, HP used its supply chain prowess to lead a commodity PC market, and eke out 8 percent operating margins. Now, in the age of mobile, HP's margins are down to 5 percent or 6 percent. The TouchPad is part of a big gamble that began last year with HP's $1.3 billion purchase of Palm and webOS: to build an ecosystem of its own, despite a landscape littered with the carcasses of others that tried.

For this bet to pay off, HP needs a tech trifecta. First, webOS devices must offer Apple (AAPL)-like simplicity, built on top of loads of applications and content. It won't be easy, but HP could quickly outdistance most IPad rivals, including tablets running Google's (GOOG) Android operating system. Like Apple, HP controls both the hardware and the software, which gives the company a huge design advantage, says Tim Bajarin, president of tech consultancy Creative Strategies. "They at least are trying to control their destiny, while all the others are putting it in the hands of Google or Microsoft (MSFT)," Bajarin says. For instance, a webOS feature called Synergy lets developers design applications that talk to each other. Facebook friends' birthdays automatically show up in your contacts. Work and personal calendars, even those of a spouse, appear together. Users can make a call using their wireless carrier or Skype, without having to open separate applications. "The concept from the very beginning of this is, 'Your life is moving to the cloud,'" says Jon Rubinstein, who helped create the IMac and IPod at Apple before becoming chief executive officer of Palm.

Second, HP must break Apple's lock on developers. The TouchPad will launch with 300 tablet-specific applications. (IPad has 90,000.) A recommendation engine will make it easier to discover new apps. Users who like cooking might see Epicurious pop up on their suggested list. The company is wooing holdouts such as Netflix (NFLX) by offering slots in webOS Pivot, an app showcase on all webOS devices. It's a cross between an app store and digital magazine. "We'll come out of the gates behind, but I'm really confident we'll catch up," says Bradley.

Even if HP nails webOS and wins over developers, there's the obvious third task: getting people to buy the devices. With its 20,000-plus global sales force, the company has a good shot at landing corporate customers, Bajarin says. To sell to consumers, he says HP will have to train Best Buy and 600,000 other dealers to show customers the glories of webOS. HP has paid retailers to set up its own section within stores and is dispatching several hundred employees to demonstrate the product at retail this July, says Stephen DeWitt, Personal Systems Group senior vice-president. HP is spending hundreds of millions on an ad blitz starring Jay-Z and other celebrities.

Bradley and Rubinstein say that if the TouchPad's reception is lukewarm initially, they'll be patient. "We have a really good opportunity to become No. 2 in tablets fairly quickly," Rubinstein says. "Possibly No. 1."

Source:
    HP's Plan to Make TouchPad a Hit - BusinessWeek
    Offering slots in Pivot.....meaning they are trying to entice Netflix to come to the webOS party.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    its a good start! i def hope it takes off~!!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by noelb View Post
    Offering slots in Pivot.....meaning they are trying to entice Netflix to come to the webOS party.
    Um, I would venture a guess that Netflix will be on the table sometime after the launch bc the app is still being developed. I'm speculating but am confident that you'll see it. This ain't the Playbook folks. HP is in a different league and we're starting to see that.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Wow, good find.
    This article has some good info.

-300 Native apps at launch: That's not bad at all. I don't know what Honeycomb's current numbers are, but I know after a month they had only 50 native apps. And as for the Playbook, I don't know their numbers, but I'm sure they don't have 300 native apps for the Playbook yet.

-HP has a global salesforce of 20,000+ people: That's a pretty huge sales force, and they are mostly targeting corporate customers.

-They mentioned training Best Buy & 600,000+ other dealers: I don't know who these dealers are, but that really 600,000 really puts into perspective the reach of HP's scale & distribution. That's a lot of outlets that will have TouchPad's to sell.

-They are paying to have their own floor space at retailers & sending out their own reps to stores: I'd say that's a smart move.

-HP spending hundreds of Millions on their ad campaign, featuring artists like Jay-Z: They are going all out. One of my favorite commercials was the old HP ad with Jay-Z:

I say it's one of their best ads, along with all the other celebrities they had from that campaign, I can't wait to see the new ads.
    Here it says there will be 15000 apps, move your mouse to the App Catalog icon: HP TouchPad - The Carphone Warehouse
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    they do, they are including the old app catalog which works with the tp. the 300~ apps he is talking about is built with enyo for the tp from the ground up. its a very very good launch number
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    They're doing more than the competition to market and sell tablets. There are no guarantees so we may see if they are 'patient'.
    "HP is spending hundreds of millions on an ad blitz starring Jay-Z and other celebrities."

This guy mentions a product and everyone is hip hop gravitates to it. And we all know what effect hip hop has on American culture as it relates to consumerism.

"Champagne sales overall are down but one brand has found that a little celebrity endorsement can go a long way. Armand de Brignac, the brand adopted by Jay-Z, has found great success thanks to the rapper's promotion. Jay-Z was a fan of Cristal until 2006 when Frederic Rouzaud, the managing director of Louis Roderer Cristal was quoted in The Economist calling the namechecking of the Cristal brand in hip-hop songs "unwelcome attention." Jay-Z found the remark racist. He called for a Cristal boycott and switched his allegiance to the new brand Armand de Brignac, part of Cattier Champagne. He featured the distinctive gold bottle with the Ace of Spades logo in his video to his single" Show Me What You Got" in 2006.

Since then the brand has taken off, showing up in celebrity gift bags and becoming a new symbol of extravagant taste. The Independent reports that demand is so high that the winery could sell their 60,000-bottle production run several times over. The brand will reach its maximum production of 82,000 within three years. The Armand de Brignac Cuvees are priced from $300 per bottle and come in three varieties, Champagne Rose, Champagne Blanc de Blanc, and the Brut Gold. Luxist blogger Annie Scott sampled the Brut Gold earlier this year."

And that was without a commercial, just a few casual mentions in a song. Can he make the touchpad a "symbol"? I sure hope so.
    300 is a good number, as long as they have the essentials like Kindle covered. With the web browser able to run Flash that takes care of most of the rest. Frankly, I prefer going straight to the website or using a web app if they are well done - because it saves me the hassle of updating apps all the time.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    "HP is spending hundreds of millions on an ad blitz starring Jay-Z and other celebrities."

This guy mentions a product and everyone is hip hop gravitates to it. And we all know what effect hip hop has on American culture as it relates to consumerism.

"Champagne sales overall are down but one brand has found that a little celebrity endorsement can go a long way. Armand de Brignac, the brand adopted by Jay-Z, has found great success thanks to the rapper's promotion. Jay-Z was a fan of Cristal until 2006 when Frederic Rouzaud, the managing director of Louis Roderer Cristal was quoted in The Economist calling the namechecking of the Cristal brand in hip-hop songs "unwelcome attention." Jay-Z found the remark racist. He called for a Cristal boycott and switched his allegiance to the new brand Armand de Brignac, part of Cattier Champagne. He featured the distinctive gold bottle with the Ace of Spades logo in his video to his single" Show Me What You Got" in 2006.

Since then the brand has taken off, showing up in celebrity gift bags and becoming a new symbol of extravagant taste. The Independent reports that demand is so high that the winery could sell their 60,000-bottle production run several times over. The brand will reach its maximum production of 82,000 within three years. The Armand de Brignac Cuvees are priced from $300 per bottle and come in three varieties, Champagne Rose, Champagne Blanc de Blanc, and the Brut Gold. Luxist blogger Annie Scott sampled the Brut Gold earlier this year."

And that was without a commercial, just a few casual mentions in a song. Can he make the touchpad a "symbol"? I sure hope so.

Jay-Z definitely holds a lot of influence. I'm sure that him endorsing the TouchPad in a commercial will have a huge effect on sales. And the fact that the TouchPad has beats audio will appeal to a lot of Hip-Hop fans as well.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    The TouchPad is going to do huge I think with music buffs due to the Beats audio connection. Just getting cross promotion would be helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    The TouchPad is going to do huge I think with music buffs due to the Beats audio connection. Just getting cross promotion would be helpful.
    A little side segue: are those beats headphones wireless or are they wired? (I can only buy wireless due to wire chomping pets)
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    A little side segue: are those beats headphones wireless or are they wired? (I can only buy wireless due to wire chomping pets)
    I have only seen wired headphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    if i'm not mistaken, part of the beats technology revolves around the headphone jack itself...
    Hi all,

FYI. Please use the link to reach the rest of this article.

Take care,

Jay

Businessweek: HP's Plan to Make TouchPad a Hit
    The PC giant's Wintel-free tablet is part of a big gamble that began with the purchase of Palm's webOS: to build its own ecosystem

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...5040584134.htm

By Cliff Edwards and Aaron Ricadela

During an interview at Hewlett-Packard's (HP) Palo Alto headquarters, Todd Bradley, the head of the $41 billion PC group, is, as always, full of praise toward his microprocessor suppliers. Intel (INTC) and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) are "important partners," he says. Then he holds up a TouchPad, his company's first tablet computer, which is powered by a Qualcomm (QCOM) chip and HP's in-house operating system, webOS. It goes on sale July 1, starting at $500. "The AMD-Intel thing," he says, "I think that's kind of over."
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i dont think they would make wireless headsets for beats yet, because they degrade sound quality.
    maybe in the future if they can find a good way enough tech but we will see i guess
    THANKS~!!
    Hi, Thank you, cool, take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Wow, good find.
    This article has some good info.

-300 Native apps at launch: That's not bad at all. I don't know what Honeycomb's current numbers are, but I know after a month they had only 50 native apps. And as for the Playbook, I don't know their numbers, but I'm sure they don't have 300 native apps for the Playbook yet.

-HP has a global salesforce of 20,000+ people: That's a pretty huge sales force, and they are mostly targeting corporate customers.

-They mentioned training Best Buy & 600,000+ other dealers: I don't know who these dealers are, but that really 600,000 really puts into perspective the reach of HP's scale & distribution. That's a lot of outlets that will have TouchPad's to sell.

-They are paying to have their own floor space at retailers & sending out their own reps to stores: I'd say that's a smart move.

-HP spending hundreds of Millions on their ad campaign, featuring artists like Jay-Z: They are going all out. One of my favorite commercials was the old HP ad with Jay-Z:

I say it's one of their best ads, along with all the other celebrities they had from that campaign, I can't wait to see the new ads.
    Reading the Playbook reviews from various outlets, especially This is My Next, it was mentioned that the only native apps were Need for Speed and Tetris. The other apps were "horrible" Adobe Air apps. RIM doesn't even widely distribute their native SDK which is still in Alpha. EA was able to get it ahead of launch.

As far as Android tab apps are concerned, the reviews I've read keep mentioning on 50 native apps. So they still haven't had their "explosion of native apps".

HP starting with 300 native apps is pretty good. Then you take into account the advertising campaign with hundreds of millions that should also include the phones as well and you have a very strong kick off. It seems to me that HP is serious about their investment and all of the haters are probably starting to feel a little salty.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast