Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    agreed, if netflix is important to someone, i know it is to me, dont buy it until it works, seeing an icon on a paper presentation is not nearly good enough.

thanks for understanding somewhat. my pre has been doing great so far, but hp's tactics has been disappointing. the fiasco of the past year in webOS really taught alot of folks one thing, and thats what we all agreed above. anything less than seeing with your own eyes on an end product is hot air.

in this industry, promises of future functions, or hinting, or implying, should never been trusted, and that's not exclusive to hp.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    thanks

see, this, and ljlp's post above, are all i need, and instead, hp shareholders have to jump on me in a massive firestorm, lol.
    Actually, that wasn't "all you need", since you dismissed it when it was first given. But, I'm glad you finally seem convinced.

back to tge topic, if this tech was there for a long time on various android devices, whats stoping netflix from offerring content on those ( until very recently in limited devices).

why wouldn't similar concerns, whatever they are, preventing netflix put content on touchpad, a unproven device?
    Netflix originally was written to run on Sliverlight. They're changing directions. Netflix writes for lots of "unproven devices" (including my lowly Blu-Ray player). Popularity of the product has not been the biggest stumbling block, development platform has.
    Last edited by hparsons; 06/25/2011 at 12:49 PM.
    should that be taken as a promise? if so, sure would be necessary to know when it will happen, hopefully not for next gen of the devices. a solid time frame will help buyers to make proper decision.
    Nope, that's not a promise. And no one should buy based on that. By the same measure, there was no promise that they were going to withhold 16gb version from retail outlets, nor was there a simlar "promise" that there was only going to be 2 32gb units per store; yet was saw statements as if it were so.

No, absolutely no promise of Netflix. But it's pretty likely. As I said, no one should buy based on the promise, but that doesn't mean that the speculation is invalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Netflix originally was written to run on Sliverlight. They're changing directions. Netflix writes for lots of "unproven devices" (including my lowly Blu-Ray player). Popularity of the product has not been the biggest stumbling block, development platform has.
    Whatever you want to imply, facts will stand out, there is one, or there isn't one. We will know soon enough.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ...in this industry, promises of future functions, or hinting, or implying, should never been trusted, and that's not exclusive to hp.
    I'll give you that one. But, that should also be balanced. If one is going to discount positive evidence before their eyes, then they should equally discount negative hints of what's going to happn.

Concentrating on the negative, and discounting all of the positive, reduces credibility.
    No, absolutely no promise of Netflix. But it's pretty likely. As I said, no one should buy based on the promise, but that doesn't mean that the speculation is invalid.
    likely, lol, means nothing.

Whatever you want to imply, facts will stand out, there is one, or there isn't one. We will know soon enough.
    Not sure what you meant by "whatever you want to imply". I answered your question as to why it was that Netflix wasn't written for other platforms (until recently). It wasn't because they didn't have the technology, it's because the underling development framework was Silverlight. Silverlight didn't run on WebOS. Netflix is changing the development framework.
    likely, lol, means nothing.

If course it means something. As was said before:

To me seeing netflix as a platform partner, then finding out the new qualcomm chipsets are designed with netflix security in mind, plus having phil McKinney reply to me on twitter about bank apps and netflix, i feel like at the very least they are doing all they can to get netflix on board.
    Until the device is out, people are looking here (and other places) for some hints about what's to come. These things "mean something" (to those willing to look into them).

Surely you don't think people just come here to read negative opinions? The above information might "mean something" to the person that's thinking "Netflix isn't the most important thing to me, but it would be good to know if the TouchPad even has whatever it needs under the hood for it to be a possibility."
    I'm just curious, when did anyone ever say anything about Netflix previous to this anyway?

I've been following the Touchpad pretty closely, and I know there's been a ton of rumors of Netflix popping up in the forums, and people claiming that it was promised, but I'm certain I've never seen even a mention of it before this.

I looked up a few liveblogs of the February 9th event, and the only picture I see showing Netflix's logo is during a section where they're talking about the different content that people currently access on the web, and there's no mention about platform partners. There's also a Flickr logo, and there's no built-in webOS Synergy with Flickr in 2.1 yet either.

Maybe I missed something else though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm just curious, when did anyone ever say anything about Netflix previous to this anyway?

Maybe I missed something else though.
    Just shows it's impotant in some way for many people.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345