Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    the answer to that is the new qualcomm chipset in the new hardware. it was part of their presentation feb 9th. they mentioned the qualcomm chipset has the encryption necessary for netflix....
    Seriously? I totally missed that! If that's the case, then I actually can see a Netflix app ready if not a launch, within a short amount of time thereafter.

That's great news!
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i would like to see a technical explaination for that, not just a word from hp, which isn't a trustworthy brand in my mind.
    We're aren't talking about a lone rep saying this, it was at their announcement event (based on ijip's post), where every. single. word. is vetted prior to even making it to Powerpoint.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/25/2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: off topic
    here is the relevant part talking about security in their new chipsets

Security
    Advanced security options including platform, content and storage memory protection Secure MSM™ provides secure boot, operation and file security
    Digital Rights Management provides secure playback of OMA and Windows Media content
    Trustzone™ enables mobile payment and conditional access as well as protection of storage media
    Oh, they're probably just saying that to shill for those lyin' HP folks...
    /sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

You really seem to have a heavy interest in a device that you've already stated you have no intention of buying. .
    Hi,

I to have "heavy interest" in the TouchPad, which I can't buy right now,.....let's just say financially replacing my Centro with a Pre3, having the bathtub repaired and buying a new bed for my Mom all come first....

However, I'm dancing in the streets for all of you who will be getting one, (I'm a glass half full kind of guy), ....I think HP has taken a very cleaver plan for marketing it...they lined up a lot of endorsements from all fields...the HP Pivot is a fantastic idea....it's one of those ideas that I though..gee why didn't I think of that....I also like the idea that they aren't looking to knock Apple of it's perch...in this case #2 is a great position....

I also think that none of the other pad/tablet companies are in such a enviable position with regard to the enterprise market...HP has a great deal of leverage...'m SURE they have been using that leverage behind the scenes well before the TouchPad hits the marketplace...

I'm not saying I will NEVER get a TouchPad, it's not in my budget for now!

take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by smartfah View Post
    jay-z definitely holds a lot of influence. I'm sure that him endorsing the touchpad in a commercial will have a huge effect on sales. And the fact that the touchpad has beats audio will appeal to a lot of hip-hop fans as well.
    hp!!!! Do this and i mean by the week after the launch of the touchpad!!!! This is a realistic goal now do it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    I agree 100%, which is why I mentioned they could of released the TouchPad on 2.x. Apps would't be there regardless, so why wait. If the hardware was ready that is. just saying and really not an issue now as we are where we are and just days away from launch.
    Releasing it with 2.x would have been a huge mistake. It would have gone against there plan to move to enyo, would have required developers to have even more versions of their Mojo apps (only to have them be obsolete in months), would not have elegently handled changes in orientation, the list goes on.

Prior to webOS3.0 webOS simply would not have been a great tablet experience. It would have resembled the foot-shooting seen in the playbook launch...
    numbers means little. quanlity is the key.

we will see what hp has soon enough, if its 300 business apps no consumer cares plus some angrybirds, it won't fly.

we will know soon enough.
    Wow. So today numbers mean little? So why do all of the Apple honks and reviewers, which tend to be one in the same, always, always, always mention the number of apps a product has and then says it's much smaller than Apple?

I agree that quality is important. You just need to tell that to the honks. And who thinks that HP is only going to have 299 "business apps" and one Angry Birds? Gimme me a break. You as a consumer won't even see the true business apps bc those apps would be specific to a particular company, therefore available on that company's specific tab.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    i would like to see a technical explaination for that, not just a word from hp, which isn't a trustworthy brand in my mind.
    HP isn't a trusted brand in your mind? Um, ok. Not much to say to that.
    Technical explanations? It's called common sense.

Learn it. Live it. Love it.
    that didn't say anything about netflix, did it? hp always stretch the facts, always. not sayibg other companies don't do it, but hey, this is not other companies' product either.
    Engadget has article about Netflix, Qualcomm and DRM. You can find answers there.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/25/2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: deleted off topic portions
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    You didn't ask for proof that netflix was coming, what you asked for was proof that the Snapdragon used in the touchpad had the drm prequisites for Netflix to agree to an app - it certainly does.

The old snapdragon in a Droid Incredible had sufficient DRM in place. Do you think that Qualcomm's flagship tablet SOC would LACK the ability to secure content? That would effectively lock them out of the space due to a lack of protection for much of anything. This would be beyond stupid as Nvidia's Tegra2 already has a monopoly on Honeycomb tablets for now and Apple uses it's own chips in the iPad.

No, there is no evidence of a Netflix app for WebOS. No confirmation. Nary a rumor. HP never said it was coming - if you can point to somewhere where they did say that, I'll have a look.

Companies aren't evil dude, and frankly, they will do whatever profits them.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/25/2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: quoted text deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thawkth View Post
    You didn't ask for proof that netflix was coming, what you asked for was proof that the Snapdragon used in the touchpad had the drm prequisites for Netflix to agree to an app - it certainly does.

The old snapdragon in a Droid Incredible had sufficient DRM in place. Do you think that Qualcomm's flagship tablet SOC would LACK the ability to secure content? That would effectively lock them out of the space due to a lack of protection for much of anything. This would be beyond stupid as Nvidia's Tegra2 already has a monopoly on Honeycomb tablets for now and Apple uses it's own chips in the iPad.

No, there is no evidence of a Netflix app for WebOS. No confirmation. Nary a rumor. HP never said it was coming - if you can point to somewhere where they did say that, I'll have a look.

thanks

see, this, and ljlp's post above, are all i need, and instead, hp shareholders have to jump on me in a massive firestorm, lol.

back to tge topic, if this tech was there for a long time on various android devices, whats stoping netflix from offerring content on those ( until very recently in limited devices).

why wouldn't similar concerns, whatever they are, preventing netflix put content on touchpad, a unproven device?
    Ok so you have proof that 299 of 300 Touchpad apps are business apps? Do you have proof that HP isn't allowing 16gb Touchpads into store? If you so I'd be more than willing to read the proof. I'd be the first one to say that you were correct if I could read the proof.

When you make statements such as 300 business apps with one Angry Birds and HP isn't allowing 16gb Touchpads into stores and HP isn't a trustworthy company without reference then it is outlandish conjecture. I don't have to confirm or deny bc I didn't make the statements; you did so maybe you should confirm it for us.

I'll be waiting all the way up until July 1st for you to confirm it for us.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/25/2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: quoted text deleted
    thanks

see, this, and ljlp's post above, are all i need, and instead, hp shareholders have to jump on me in a massive firestorm, lol.

back to tge topic, if this tech was there for a long time on various android devices, whats stoping netflix from offerring content on those ( until very recently in limited devices).

why wouldn't similar concerns, whatever they are, preventing netflix put content on touchpad, a unproven device?
    Go read the Engadget article and you'll get your answers.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/25/2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Deleted off topic portion
    <<thread cleaned>>

Let's keep this on topic, please, and refrain from personal comments about other members. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    technically speaking the touchpad has over 500k business apps... through citrix

also the TP has all the apps available to webos at launch, thats about 15k apps.

Native enyo apps maybe 300~ of those, but thats about a 500% increase over the Honeycomb launch.

For entreprise, HP has arguably the most compelling system, right out of the box. and based on launch numbers alone they are making a very strong case for the consumer market as well.

and if quantities of apps are not enough, tell me this, what other tablet is offering 50 gigs of free cloud storage? HP has beaten even app to its icloud, and i dont know how many gigs apple will offer but 50 gigs will be more than enough for most people.

out of the box HP is offering more services than apple for people. and more services than honeycomb will ever offer to any consumer. Yes webos is still behind in the amount of apps for consumers but HP management has made it easy to port apps, and now with enyo you build one app and it will scale accross wth webos ecosystem.

apps for webos will change the way business do business, and people consume. Most apps right now are just a stream lined website. webos with its eco system will take it to the next level once people begin to see that.

its not a done deal for nething, but based on all the things that have been coming out, i would start buying hp shares now and taking profits from apple.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thawkth View Post

no there hasnt been ne announcement about netflix, but if u look at slides or videos on the feb 9th event, as they talked about partners, netflix is clearly visible......
    THANKS~!!
    no there hasnt been ne announcement about netflix, but if u look at slides or videos on the feb 9th event, as they talked about partners, netflix is clearly visible......
    should that be taken as a promise? if so, sure would be necessary to know when it will happen, hopefully not for next gen of the devices. a solid time frame will help buyers to make proper decision.
    well, technically android has unlimited apps too, lets not go there.

are you serious about claiming touchpad having 15k apps at launch? its not all about debate here, its eventually about what end users see the platform.

i dont think you give enough thoughts to android in your comparision, and i dont think thats wise thibg to do.

50g space maybe for limited time, do you have information suggest otherwise?
    technically speaking the touchpad has over 500k business apps... through citrix

also the TP has all the apps available to webos at launch, thats about 15k apps.

Native enyo apps maybe 300~ of those, but thats about a 500% increase over the Honeycomb launch.

For entreprise, HP has arguably the most compelling system, right out of the box. and based on launch numbers alone they are making a very strong case for the consumer market as well.

and if quantities of apps are not enough, tell me this, what other tablet is offering 50 gigs of free cloud storage? HP has beaten even app to its icloud, and i dont know how many gigs apple will offer but 50 gigs will be more than enough for most people.

out of the box HP is offering more services than apple for people. and more services than honeycomb will ever offer to any consumer. Yes webos is still behind in the amount of apps for consumers but HP management has made it easy to port apps, and now with enyo you build one app and it will scale accross wth webos ecosystem.

apps for webos will change the way business do business, and people consume. Most apps right now are just a stream lined website. webos with its eco system will take it to the next level once people begin to see that.

its not a done deal for nething, but based on all the things that have been coming out, i would start buying hp shares now and taking profits from apple.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    clevin, there are no promisses in business. i have no inside information. all we can do is look at the evidence put forth and speculate.
    To me seeing netflix as a platform partner, then finding out the new qualcomm chipsets are designed with netflix security in mind, plus having phil McKinney reply to me on twitter about bank apps and netflix, i feel like at the very least they are doing all they can to get netflix on board.

of course there are no garantees. and i feel ure pain, i have a launch day pre.... recently i made the decision to leave sprint and go to att for the pre3 when it launches. i feel like i got screwed on both ends -=\

if netflix is so important for ure tablet, you should wait until the apps actually is out and see the kind of feedback people give. For me, i plan on keeping the tablet at home 99% of the time and i stream netflix through my xbox mostly.

if in fact netflix does come to the TP then for me it will be a nice bonus to just stream my cartoons and not have to worry about the wifey wanting to shut it down -=)
    THANKS~!!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast