Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 90
  1. #41  
    I just don't get it I guess. I've been a Netflix subscriber for quite some time but have no desire to watch anything on a tablet from there. I don't even use the streaming service now since watching a movie without 5.1 sound these days is missing half the experience. Maybe a few TV shows here and there while traveling, but hopefully the Flash browser will handle the broadcast network sites, players, etc.

    For me, getting a Sirius app is more important. I doubt it'll happen so again, I hope their webplayer will work on the TP. It'll be the first thing I'll try.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The problem that surrounds Netflix is DRM issues. It's a large reason why Netflix is only available on a handful of Android handsets (and the same with Hulu). I suspect the only holdup with Netflix on webOS is DRM.

    This has little to nothing to do with "porting" (which a straight port isn't possible, that's only for games). And HP can't do things like this in-house.
    And that's exactly what I mentioned, about 8 posts above yours.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Here in lies the problem. Too many see the glass as half empty.

    Bradley announces that the TouchPad will launch with 300 native apps, which is pretty much more native apps than any other tablet has launched with (except probably the iPad), and everyone is focusing on the one app they don't have (and who knows, the launch is a week away, Netflix still has time to make their app ready).

    I know Netflix is an important app, it's one that I really want; but come on guys, 300 apps available on launch is a nice number. Especially considering that the 3.0 SDK is still in early access & under NDA. I imagine a lot more apps will hit the catalog once the TouchPad launches & the SDK is made public.

    It may not be the thousands of apps we hoped for, but the TouchPad launching with 300 native apps makes the Playbook & Honeycomb tablet launches look weak.
    You are right. Honeycomb does not have 300 apps ether, I don't know about playbook. There is no Netflix, and Scype is voice only, and no video. However, the android tablets are cheaper because of it! What is Touch Pad can say in it's own defence?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by dweiums View Post
    I agree about your view on Netflix.

    Anyway - I just want to be able to view my ePix & HBO Go on my Touchpad.
    well, HBO Go won't be there either. That and Max Go would be nice too.
  5. #45  
    HBO owned by the same people who own Time Magazine and Sports Illustrated so HBO could have an app, why not?
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Here in lies the problem. Too many see the glass as half empty.

    Bradley announces that the TouchPad will launch with 300 native apps, which is pretty much more native apps than any other tablet has launched with (except probably the iPad), and everyone is focusing on the one app they don't have (and who knows, the launch is a week away, Netflix still has time to make their app ready).

    I know Netflix is an important app, it's one that I really want; but come on guys, 300 apps available on launch is a nice number. Especially considering that the 3.0 SDK is still in early access & under NDA. I imagine a lot more apps will hit the catalog once the TouchPad launches & the SDK is made public.

    It may not be the thousands of apps we hoped for, but the TouchPad launching with 300 native apps makes the Playbook & Honeycomb tablet launches look weak.
    This actually made me laugh. sorry.

    Why the announcement in Feb for a delivery in July then? I mean, come on. Could they of not released a device on WebOs 2.x if not much else was ready?

    It has nothing to do with the number of apps, but those apps that are viewed as critical. Doc editing, Netflix are pretty damn popular and considered a must have by most people interested in tablets. I have a feeling the reviewers are going to call out HP on the time it took to get to market with such limited functionality. Citrix - neat. You must have the infrastructure at your company to even leverage.

    With that said - the foundation of this tablet IS better then all others IMHO and I know it's not a sprint. As it's not a sprint, I wonder how many people will actually wait until 2nd Gen TouchPad?
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    HBO owned by the same people who own Time Magazine and Sports Illustrated so HBO could have an app, why not?
    Everyone could have an app. Every app takes time, money and resources to develop. Every company and developer is trying to see how WebOS will play in the space and if their time, resources and $$$ are worth investing in it. They are smart to be leery - it is a business after all. Every hour spent on one OS takes away potential revenue from the other OS, - WebOS included.

    At this stage I get why folks are leery about taking on yet other mobile OS. I hope HP is very successful and becomes the #2 consumer tablet and #1 enterprise tablet. Everything is lining up for this - but this launch seems a bit botched to me. I feel coming so late to the party requires major WOW - which seems to not be there. Again, I hope I am wrong.
    Last edited by Midway99; 06/24/2011 at 02:13 PM.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Everyone could have an app. Every app takes time, money and resources to develop. Every company and developer is trying to see how WebOS will play in the space and if their time, resources and $$$ or worth investing in it. They are smart to be leery - it is a business after all. Every hour spent on one OS takes away potential revenue from the other OS, - WebOS included.

    At this stage I get why folks are leery about taking on yet other mobile OS. I hope HP is very successful and becomes the #2 consumer tablet and #1 enterprise tablet. Everything is lining up for this - but this launch seems a bit botched to me. I feel coming so late to the party requires major WOW - which seems to not be there. Again, I hope I am wrong.
    I think you hit it dead on! +++++1
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Why the announcement in Feb for a delivery in July then? I mean, come on. Could they of not released a device on WebOs 2.x if not much else was ready?
    I'll go out on a limb and say the 5 month or so gap is more due to needed refinements of the OS and hardware than the need to build up the app catalog.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I'll go out on a limb and say the 5 month or so gap is more due to needed refinements of the OS and hardware than the need to build up the app catalog.
    I agree 100%, which is why I mentioned they could of released the TouchPad on 2.x. Apps would't be there regardless, so why wait. If the hardware was ready that is. just saying and really not an issue now as we are where we are and just days away from launch.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    You are right. Honeycomb does not have 300 apps ether, I don't know about playbook. There is no Netflix, and Scype is voice only, and no video. However, the android tablets are chipper because of it! What is Touch Pad can say in it's own defence?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I seriously don't think having few apps is the sole reason Android tablets are "chipper".

    Supply and demand are what really eventually sets the price in a free market. HP feels the TP is worth more, so they're asking more. If they don't sell, you can bet the price will get adjusted. If they do sell, it's because the purchasers feel it's worth the price.

    Great system.
  12. #52  
    Man if HP really wanted to knock it out of the park they should hire Lady Gaga to do her own rendition of 'the creepy girl' commercials.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I seriously don't think having few apps is the sole reason Android tablets are "chipper".

    Supply and demand are what really eventually sets the price in a free market. HP feels the TP is worth more, so they're asking more. If they don't sell, you can bet the price will get adjusted. If they do sell, it's because the purchasers feel it's worth the price.

    Great system.
    I have to somewhat agree with him hparsons. My wife has a android phone and for 2 weeks she didn't load a single app (that didn't come with it) and is was slick as whale snot. Once she started loading a couple of apps she began having issues. some of them to the point the OS locked up on her. This is a problem of course she has since unloaded all the Apps she has downloaded and installing one at a time until she finds the issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Man if HP really wanted to knock it out of the park they should hire Lady Gaga to do her own rendition of 'the creepy girl' commercials.
    I would actually cry.. There is something about her that i can't stand. to the point that i don't listen to her music.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  14. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Reading the Playbook reviews from various outlets, especially This is My Next, it was mentioned that the only native apps were Need for Speed and Tetris. The other apps were "horrible" Adobe Air apps. RIM doesn't even widely distribute their native SDK which is still in Alpha. EA was able to get it ahead of launch.
    There is a lot of different definition of "native".

    Out of the 300 TouchPad apps, how many of them use native linux and opengl api's???
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    I agree 100%, which is why I mentioned they could of released the TouchPad on 2.x. Apps would't be there regardless, so why wait. If the hardware was ready that is. just saying and really not an issue now as we are where we are and just days away from launch.
    But that's not at all the same, is it? If by the February announcement the hardware wasn't ready, webOS 2.x or not, the TouchPad had to wait. And I think I can speak for most that having the TouchPad running 2.x code would be a huge mistake, as that version is not tablet-ready.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    There is a lot of different definition of "native".

    Out of the 300 TouchPad apps, how many of them use native linux and opengl api's???
    Don't be daft, it's clear he's talking about QNX-native apps.
  17. #57  
    numbers means little. quanlity is the key.

    we will see what hp has soon enough, if its 300 business apps no consumer cares plus some angrybirds, it won't fly.

    we will know soon enough.
  18. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    And that's exactly what I mentioned, about 8 posts above yours.
    the answer to that is the new qualcomm chipset in the new hardware. it was part of their presentation feb 9th. they mentioned the qualcomm chipset has the encryption necessary for netflix....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    the answer to that is the new qualcomm chipset in the new hardware. it was part of their presentation feb 9th. they mentioned the qualcomm chipset has the encryption necessary for netflix....
    i would like to see a technical explaination for that, not just a word from hp, which isn't a trustworthy brand in my mind.
  20. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #60  
    yeah i wish i had a link to it.... maybe in the qualcomm website u may find something. but thats deff one of the features the qualcomm chipsets have and why not all androids device will be able to run netflix

    edit: went to the qualcomm website

    here is the relevant part talking about security in their new chipsets

    Security
    Advanced security options including platform, content and storage memory protection Secure MSM™ provides secure boot, operation and file security
    Digital Rights Management provides secure playback of OMA and Windows Media content
    Trustzone™ enables mobile payment and conditional access as well as protection of storage media
    Last edited by ijip; 06/24/2011 at 09:54 PM.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions