Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I believe 300 before I'd believe 15,000. But like everyone else says, I'd rather have a great PC-like browser than a whole bunch of specific apps.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    i dont think they would make wireless headsets for beats yet, because they degrade sound quality.
    maybe in the future if they can find a good way enough tech but we will see i guess
    Not by much. I have some Sony stereo Bluetooth that makes music sound great
    Hi all,

1. Considering that this is a totally new product and that HP just bought Palm such a short time ago...I think 300 apps is a very nice starting point

2. The sheer number of HP sales staff of 200,000 & 600,000 worldwide dealers is amazing....this will take a while but slow and steady goes the race...

3. Endorsements mean a lot to many people...frankly I don't pay attention to such stuff...that's why I got a TIVO the day they went up for sale...so I can skip all the Madison Ave stuff...

4. Endorsements from musicians should help a great deal, since HP is working on a cloud system... the fact that Apple selected HP to design & equip Apple's cloud is very reassuring for HP's own cloud system....

5. Even though HP is coming late to the table...it works out well for them/us b/c the Playbook is 1/2 a product that has gotten racked over the coals...to the point that RIM is in serious trouble....Android tablets haven't exactly set the world on fire......HP doesn't expect to be number one...but as I have maintained from the day we discovered HP was buying Palm...HP has contacts in the Corp/enterprise world that Apple doesn't ...the sheer market position that HP has in areas that Apple doesn't compete...puts HP in a position of a great deal of leverage....

6. I'm sure HP has been busy hawking the TouchPad to enterprise clients way before they are putting it up for sale...HP has stated from the beginning that they will supply manpower and expertise for porting or creating apps....I would think there will be customized apps for specific clients that won't be up for sale, but will exist as enticements for corp/enterprise sales of TouchPads...

IE: Everyone and their brother is setting up cloud service these days....from Best Buy to Amazon.....there aren't that many firms that design and sell the equipment needed for such a complex situation.....I'm sure HP has taken that leverage and tried to use before any of these new cloud services were publicly announced.

additionally

My local 2 hospitals use HP servers...when HP is selected to install and maintain the hospital's mainframe system...you can bet your bottom dollar that HP is cutting deals to get TouchPads as part of the deal....the more enterprise sales HP makes...the more people see, use and enjoy webOS...the more they will want webOS for their own use....

7. I fully expect it's not just the TouchPad that HP will leverage...they will also try to add the Pre3 and any other future webOS smartphones...touch to share will be a major selling point for enterprise sales...

Take care,

Jay

PS I hope all of you who get TouchPads, keep the rest of updated and jealous!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    "The company is wooing holdouts such as Netflix (NFLX) by offering slots in webOS Pivot, an app showcase on all webOS devices."

So this app is not even in the works yet? They are still trying to get Netflix to actually write the app by "wooing" them. This blows.

Netflix is obviously not sold on WebOS yet. Dang - out of 4 must haves that I thought were coming, only Kindle is available. bummer
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I believe 300 before I'd believe 15,000. But like everyone else says, I'd rather have a great PC-like browser than a whole bunch of specific apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    "The company is wooing holdouts such as Netflix (NFLX) by offering slots in webOS Pivot, an app showcase on all webOS devices."

So this app is not even in the works yet? They are still trying to get Netflix to actually write the app by "wooing" them. This blows.

Netflix is obviously not sold on WebOS yet. Dang - out of 4 must haves that I thought were coming, only Kindle is available. bummer
    Hi,

just relax and take a deep breath....this is a whole new world for HP...I'm sure Netflix will be one of the most demanded apps & HP has repeatedly stated that if need be they would pay to have apps written or ported...they also offered to supply manpower to do so....the TouchPad isn't yet up for sale and many apps are ported in a few days...HP has a great deal of $ to throw at a problem, so I know for sure they will get it done.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I couldn't care less about Netflix. It won't work in Europe anyway.
    I would have thought that Netflix would have been on the shortlist for HP to devout a good chunk of their own resources towards months ago. If it still isn't even being written, then that would indicate that Netflix doesn't want to have it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    I couldn't care less about Netflix. It won't work in Europe anyway.
    But I'm a sure you care about the touchpad being well received in reviews and by consumers everywhere ( so that it can have a future). A netflix app would help ensure that it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    It won't work in Europe anyway.
    1. I didn't realize that it doesn't/wouldn't work in Europe.

2. I doubt write a Netflix app takes that long. Since there are porting tools...this could turn out to be a tempest in a tea pot..after all HP has solution Palm didn't...that is to throw $ at the problem & then be able to solve it........

Take care,

Jay
    If we have a great browser, then maybe Netflix will work via the browser, unless they still use Silverlight instead of HTML5.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I would have thought that Netflix would have been on the shortlist for HP to devout a good chunk of their own resources towards months ago. If it still isn't even being written, then that would indicate that Netflix doesn't want to have it yet.
    I'm going out on a limb here (aren't we all?) and say that any delay in a webOS 3.0 Netflix app would be more due to any security issues than due to actual development issues. If you all remember, the Android Netflix app was delayed (as per Netlix's own account) due to security issues with the Android platform. Specifically, how studios were concerned that their streamed movies could be compromised on the platform.

Now, I'm not equating the Android issues with webOS, but as we all know, our beloved mobile OS is very hacker friendly ("hacker" in a tinkering sense, not malicious) and any perceived issues might cause Netflix (and its partners) to take a slower approach.

//edit: read more about these security concerns below, from Netflix's own blog:
    http://blog.netflix.com/2010/11/netflix-on-android.html
    ^^^
    Right...
    I'm actually getting anxious again. I was thinking actually that if the browser can handle logmein properly then I wont need that app just teamviewer.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I thought too netflix app would there from start, but that's what I thought about document editing too. I can see the reviewers making fun of H/P saying its the same price and doesnt have document editing and netflix.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    If we have a great browser, then maybe Netflix will work via the browser, unless they still use Silverlight instead of HTML5.
    It'd be nice if HP backed Moonlight (Silverlight for Unix/Linux), too. Microsoft has been verbally supportive of Mono, but they can't actually contribute because of IP issues. If HP backed Mono and Moonlight, I'd be a really happy camper, though -- being a .NET developer and webOS fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I can see the reviewers making fun of H/P saying its the same price and doesnt have document editing and netflix.
    If a reviewer "makes fun" of any product they're reviewing, then they've just lost some credibility. Also, they need to keep things in perspective, as you cannot compare a new platform against a well established one.

Apples to apples and all that jazz...
    I agree about your view on Netflix.

Anyway - I just want to be able to view my ePix & HBO Go on my Touchpad.
    The problem that surrounds Netflix is DRM issues. It's a large reason why Netflix is only available on a handful of Android handsets (and the same with Hulu). I suspect the only holdup with Netflix on webOS is DRM.

This has little to nothing to do with "porting" (which a straight port isn't possible, that's only for games). And HP can't do things like this in-house.
    Here in lies the problem. Too many see the glass as half empty.

Bradley announces that the TouchPad will launch with 300 native apps, which is pretty much more native apps than any other tablet has launched with (except probably the iPad), and everyone is focusing on the one app they don't have (and who knows, the launch is a week away, Netflix still has time to make their app ready).

I know Netflix is an important app, it's one that I really want; but come on guys, 300 apps available on launch is a nice number. Especially considering that the 3.0 SDK is still in early access & under NDA. I imagine a lot more apps will hit the catalog once the TouchPad launches & the SDK is made public.

It may not be the thousands of apps we hoped for, but the TouchPad launching with 300 native apps makes the Playbook & Honeycomb tablet launches look weak.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast