Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Ok, first of all, i looove WebOS but my sprint Pre is falling apart, its to the point that i cant use it to talk on the phone, the earpiece speaker is gone, so i have to put it in speaker phone mode to talk, but that speaker is busted as well and sounds super muffled to the point of not being able to understand people talk, even the ringtones sound like crap. This is my 5th Pre btw, but i cant get this one replaced because this one has physical damage due to me dropping it at work.
    I was going to use my upgrade but i waited for CES and then for the february announcements to see if there would be a WebOS device for sprint, and still nothing. I need a new phone, and im leaning towards the new Evo 3d, or even the old Evo now that it's free at best buy when renewing for 2 years.
    I recently saw a video where they specifically said the Touchpad doesnt have a cellular radio, its able to answer phone calls and texts by pairing it with a WebOS device through Bluetooth,

So here's my question: Can you pair the Touchpad to use the "phone feature" with ANY WebOS device since its through Bluetooth? Or does the phone need to have a specific version of WebOS? I have been looking for articles to mention this but with no luck! All they show is the TP being paired with a Pre3 and using the "phone capabilities"

Im 90% sure i'll get the Touchpad within a month of its release, but the new Evo 3d comes out tomorrow June 24th and i really need a phone since i havent been able to use my Pre as an actual cell phone. If i find out i can use the Touchpad to answer calls and texts by pairing it with my old faithful Pre-(even with some homebrewing involved), im gonna be upset that i bought a new phone. Should i just wait and get a bluetooth earpiece to use my Pre?
    I know about some of the features on the Touchpad and I know for a fact that the Veer and Pre2 can connect for the bluetooth calls through the Touchpad but the Pre 3 is going to be the only phone that supports the touch-to-share technology with sharing the websites, until later (apparently they're waiting for the homebrew + developer community to come up with software to allow for older models to transfer by touch-to-share).
    You need a phone with webOS 2.x to pair with the TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    the call forwarding should work when Homebrewers start putting out patches. the text forwarding maybe somewhat harder to do from what i have read.
    at the end of the day, if u can afford an att plan go for that... im in the same boat and im giving up on sprint for the next couple of years.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    yeah i know touch to share is a hardware feature and its only on the Pre3, but answering calls, and text is used by pairing a WebOS device through bluetooth. So if i was to get 2.xx on my pre-, or getting a Pre2 and modding it to work for sprint, i would be able to make the touchpad pair with my device and be able to answer calls and text from the Touchpad?
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    no, just wait for some patches to come out. when they do, if the patches need to update past 2.0 then do it.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RATMfanatic View Post
    yeah i know touch to share is a hardware feature and its only on the Pre3, but answering calls, and text is used by pairing a WebOS device through bluetooth. So if i was to get 2.xx on my pre-, or getting a Pre2 and modding it to work for sprint, i would be able to make the touchpad pair with my device and be able to answer calls and text from the Touchpad?
    Touch To Share will be enabled on the Veer via a software update. The TouchStone coils activate the process, and the data transfer is performed over bluetooth. It wouldn't surprise me if a doctored Pixi could do it, but certainly HP will never release a formal OS update to webOS 2.2+ to the legacy devices.

There is zero hope of a legacy device (or perhaps even the Pre 2) of ever being able to use TTS or call forwarding through conventional channels, IMHO.
    I believe that any webOS phone should be able to handle the phonecall sharing feature, because it's just bluetooth. I can already do it between my webOS phones and my Garmin GPS...