1.    #1  
    I've seen a couple of stores that already have either blank displays or empty spots in the 'Tablet' section of the store intended for displaying the Touchpad. Yet the best these displays have currently is a cardboard stand-up with a bullet-point list stating the features of the Touchpad.

Here's an idea: Instead of putting the display models out the day the TP launches, why don't they put out display models now? Doing so would gain interest in the device outside of the webOS inner-circle and might help to gain awareness of the device and increase pre-order sales.

Also, on said display unit, HP should have a demonstration that specifically states what webOS can do for the average user, what makes it different, and why I should buy one over an Android tablet or iPad at the same price-point.

Another thing I noticed (off-topic) is that anywhere where I have seen a working Veer displayed, it is never charged and, thus, never operable. Whoever is setting up these display units always uses the stock charging cable. Unfortunately, the cable seems woefully inadequate for a display environment as they detach way too easily from the phones.

I've seen other phones secured by a rest with integrated retractable security cable. Why doesn't HP produce a modified version of this security unit that has integrated Touchstone docking? Such a unit would ensure that the phones would always be able to charged while they are not being handled by prospective customers.
    Last edited by bikeguychicago; 06/23/2011 at 11:32 AM.
    I have never understood why demos aren't available weeks prior to release. Walk into a best buy and you can try everything under the sun with tablets, but not the Touchpad....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I've yet to find a working Veer display, sadly.

I think one of the local WalMart's has a blank spot in its tablet/ereader area where a TP might go. Nothing specific to indicate it, however.
    Would you risk having shortages on launch day in order to have demos?

Further, if you are working on the OS and polishing it right up until the very last minute (which they are), why would you want millions of customers fondling an unfinished less-impressive product?
    Get HP Marketing told!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Would you risk having shortages on launch day in order to have demos?

Further, if you are working on the OS and polishing it right up until the very last minute (which they are), why would you want millions of customers fondling an unfinished less-impressive product?
    - Send out 2 to each store, one is the demo.

- Create a limited user experience as a demo. Optimized for demo only.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

The most obvious reason not to do this is because most customers would assume the product is already available for purchase and then the poor sales rep would have to explain that it's just a demo and they have to return to the store later to get one. That doesn't make sense.

Most large scale retailers receive a new product up to a week before its official release (I know because I work for a major retailer in the computers/tablet dept). Often times, an employee cannot even put up the demo because there is a serial/tracking number attached to it that has to be accounted for, even as a demo, and if the vendor sees that you are using products as shelf displays/demos before official release you can get into some big trouble.
    I am, therefore I think
    You can be pretty certain that HP will have someone keeping an eye on the forums, seeking feedback and marketing perception - provides an idea of how the considerable marketing spend is evolving perception.

In a big company like HP there a several channels to market: direct, enterprise and reseller to name but three.

For the retailers they are usually completely free to decide how/where to display the kit - when the hardware is short anyway why waste one on a demo unit? is the thought process.

Demoing hardware is a funny thing - people often actually look and seek reasons not too buy.... or just kick the tyres...