Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Seeing that the non-3G version doesn't have GPS, should I wait for the 3G version? When will it be released?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I wonder too. Or is there a way to share GPS location over bluetooth/wifi from smartphone?
    I'll just give you my experience with the iPad1. Even though it includes a GPS, I almost NEVER use it. Why would I? It only has WiFi so it's not like I can use it on the road since the Maps app requires an internet connection. So on the WiFi version, it is not a deal breaker. It would be a dealbreaker if the 3G version didn't have one. That being said, all of my phones have a GPS and I have on in my car. So it's not like I need yet another one.
    BobKy likes this.
    But with Navit, or NDrive, you don't need an internet connection...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    But with Navit, or NDrive, you don't need an internet connection...
    True. But how many people really need a 9.7" GPS while driving?
    Besides, my phone has GPS/free nav (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Besides, my phone has GPS/free nav (Sprint)
    Jealous - that is the one thing I can't get working on my Sprint FrankenPre (though I'd never go back to Pre -)
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    First, let me just say, this forum is awesome. I just posted the question a few minutes ago, and now I've had 6 replies!

There are some websites that have the capability to use GPS feature of your device. Even if it's WiFi only, it'd be great to be able to use that capability. Not to mention the list of other specific apps that are location-aware. And sometimes it refuses to work if it doesn't detect the GPS.

Anyway, I know that on the iPad Wifi, it uses the wifi location to give approximate location. Does TouchPad will have the same thing?
    I dont think GPS is a big deal for me for a few of the same reasons already posted - I have a smartphone that has data connection and GPS. But I wondered if you could pair a Bluetooth GPS module (assuming you can find one these days) and use that for GPS.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by re2st View Post
    Anyway, I know that on the iPad Wifi, it uses the wifi location to give approximate location. Does TouchPad will have the same thing?
    yes, I think i read this somewhere...
    Eh...no big deal. I am planning on replacing my netbook with the Touchpad. My netbook has never had internet beyond a wifi hotspot. I don't see it being incredibly necessary....as long as they don't rely too much on 'the cloud.'

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Oh...GPS....well, still! If you have it on your phone why would you need it on a tablet? Especially if you ould touch to share. Imagine, no data usage foe your touchpad: find your location with your phone, tap to transfer the map/location to your touchpad, and go for a nice hike :P

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by re2st View Post
    First, let me just say, this forum is awesome. I just posted the question a few minutes ago, and now I've had 6 replies!

There are some websites that have the capability to use GPS feature of your device. Even if it's WiFi only, it'd be great to be able to use that capability. Not to mention the list of other specific apps that are location-aware. And sometimes it refuses to work if it doesn't detect the GPS.

Yes, the wifi touchpad works like the iPad, I believe they even use the same service to determine location by ip address.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    True. But how many people really need a 9.7" GPS while driving?
    ME!! But I'm going to hope the bluetooth connection works for GPS, if not at launch, soon.
    I'll just give you my experience with the iPad1. Even though it includes a GPS, I almost NEVER use it. Why would I? It only has WiFi so it's not like I can use it on the road since the Maps app requires an internet connection. So on the WiFi version, it is not a deal breaker. It would be a dealbreaker if the 3G version didn't have one. That being said, all of my phones have a GPS and I have on in my car. So it's not like I need yet another one.
    The WiFi iPad doesn't have GPS. The only WiFi tablets with GPS right now are those that Google has approved to use Honeycomb.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I want one with 3G & GPS.

To be honest, I dare to use my Pre2 as SatNav simply because I can afford to running out of battery on tablet than phone. I know I can plug in cables to charge but would rather have a while day device.

3G is handy if you are out and about.

Besides, here in the UK no longer offers reasonably price tethering plan.
    iPad Wifi does not have built-in GPS, if that's what you meant. Only the 3G versions do. If you're connected via Wifi with an iPad Wifi, it uses LBS via wifi triangulation.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoTreoGurl View Post
    ME!! But I'm going to hope the bluetooth connection works for GPS, if not at launch, soon.
    Yes I'm also hoping the Touchpad supports Bluetooth GPS Receivers like the Earthmate GPS referenced on Cnet.

I also wonder now that webOS Internals has Touchpads...if they are testing GPS communication with cell phones and possibly Bluetooth GPS Receivers? Sorli...
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Yes, the wifi touchpad works like the iPad, I believe they even use the same service to determine location by ip address.
    I did this with my wife's iPad WIFI ad it worked well in cities -- not so well in the country -- or away from WIFI in general. I guess I'll have a reason to upgrade the TP1 to something else in the future -- the GPS would be an easy well on the wife.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Hsukirk , something you may or may not know 3 offers truly unlimited data including tethering on their one plan devices , I know they don't have the best reputation but thought I would let you know

Peter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast