Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes
    I wanted to wait for the Touchpad 3g version with aGPS/GPS, however I could not wait so I purchased the wifi version yesterday. I use a marine naviagtion app on my HTC Evo - EarthNC - which uses the GPS chip. This does not use the aGPS feature which is not availabe offshore. Too bad HP did'nt include a GPS chip on the current version of the Touchpad. Anyway, there are no marine naviagation apps for webos yet.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I got location services to work twice. Even when I deleted locations data Bing maps and others still think I am at my old location. I probably live within 5 minutes of Google's HQ.

The location services may be a little buggy.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    It works by identifying nearby wifi hotspots, which they track using their massive black hole of private information.
    The wi-fi only version of the TouchPad's chipset is known to have GPS built in. Sounds like a software update is all that's needed to activate that GPS, after which you might not have a super fast lock on your location (lack of A-GPS), but GPS should still work.
    Quote Originally Posted by re2st View Post
    Seeing that the non-3G version doesn't have GPS, should I wait for the 3G version? When will it be released?
    So just announced that ndrive hd is being released for touchpad- surely this means gps must work on wifi only version?

NDrive HD Navigation now on the HP TouchPad | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net
    Quote Originally Posted by fubber View Post
    So just announced that ndrive hd is being released for touchpad- surely this means gps must work on wifi only version?

NDrive HD Navigation now on the HP TouchPad | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net
    Yep! Sounds like the only necessary software update was an app!
    Wow, seems like there is a ton of confusion on this subject. Here's my list of questions that seem to be hanging out there unanswered:

1.) Does the WiFi TP have a mysterious hidden GPS chip? I've seen this rumor floating about, but I seriously doubt there's any truth behind it, since most of the cellular radios also have the gps built in (remember when qualcomm was banned from importing those back in the day?).

2.) Is there any news floating around about the WiFi TP being able to support a bluetooth GPS at some point?

3.) Anyone tried the new Google maps feature that enables you to actually download a set of maps within the Maps app to your phone (or is that just an android feature at the moment?) Seems like that combined with bluetooth GPS makes for a good way to navigate using the WiFi TP without buying a major nav app.

4.) Does anyone actually know that GPS/location data is shared when you bluetooth tether to a cell phone? I'm guessing its probably just sharing the cellular location data, not the GPS data, but if the chip is a combo cell/GPS radio, maybe the "location" data provided through the tethering is actually a GPS solution once that has locked on the phone?

5.) Does the 4G TP have WiFi? I haven't seen that anywhere.

6.) Think it might be worth buying the 4G TP, not activating the cell service, just to have the GPS feature without having to buy a bluetooth GPS or tether to your cellphone (provided you downloaded maps ahead of time). I wonder if there would be any issues with doing this? Plus, then you could get the 1.5GHz processor performance (are we all still speculating overclocked vs. actual HW diff there too?)

Questions, questions...
    Sprint Treos 300->600->650->700p
    Sprint Pre
    Virgin Optimus V
    ATT Galaxy Skyrocket (current)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmrfresh View Post
    Wow, seems like there is a ton of confusion on this subject. Here's my list of questions that seem to be hanging out there unanswered:

5.) Does the 4G TP have WiFi? I haven't seen that anywhere.

Questions, questions...
    Definitely have as wifi is a standard inclusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdunnough View Post
    I'm intending to use my Verizon Palm Pre+ with Mobile Hotspot to get my network connection for my WiFi TouchPad. Will the Pre+ also be able to feed GPS data to the TouchPad so that I can run the Maps app on the larger form factor and see freeway and traffic data better than I currently can on my Pre+? I have to keep scrolling and pinching and zooming on the small screen to keep up with my commute and it would be great to have a setup in the vehicle where I can prop up the TouchPad to get a better lay of the land. Thoughts?

1.This is rumored before to what iOS also is working on ...
    2.Once Touchpad connected to Pre's Mobile Hotspot, Pre act as the normal wifi router,thus Touch pad can get the valid geolocation,not the real GPS data from Pre.
    Not having GPS on the TP is not an issue to me and not worth the extra money. But it would be a nice to have, I'm tethering my PRE2 to the TP via freetether when not on WiFi, the ideal solution to me would be for the PRE to just share the GPS location with the TP . .

Thought I'd try and see if freetether shares my location with the TP now. . . sitting at my Desk in Milton Keynes, Bucks, UK, TP tethered to PRE, Bing Maps on the TP puts me somewhere in Tokyo :->

EDIT :- Just done further tests at home and tethered with "Google Service" turned off it can't locate me. Turn "Google Service" back on and I get a reasonaly accurate fix. So basically tethered uses "Google Services". If someone could figure out how to share the GPS from the PRE to the TP that would be cool. Can't figure out why it defaulted to Tokyo before though!!
    Last edited by mc_wardy; 07/13/2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Further info
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123