Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    iPad Wifi does not have built-in GPS, if that's what you meant. Only the 3G versions do. If you're connected via Wifi with an iPad Wifi, it uses LBS via wifi triangulation.
    I meant Maps. That was me just typing too fast. In anycase, my point is still valid. The Maps program requires an internet connection to work and without a 3G radio the Maps program is generally useless.
    I have a bluetooth gps receiver which I am hoping will work with the touchpad, now I just need to hope that there are installable maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I meant Maps. That was me just typing too fast. In anycase, my point is still valid. The Maps program requires an internet connection to work and without a 3G radio the Maps program is generally useless.
    Yeah I was wondering about that. I know Maps was shown off in the emulator and dev conferences, but was how useful will it be without a data connection? Will it even be usable at all? I don't think I've seen any mention of the Map function specifically in Touchpad ads/docs, so...
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I've been thinking about this a bit. When I use freetether via Bluetooth to my MacBook, Google Maps in Chrome can use its geolocation feature to locate me. It is very accurate. I think freetether must pass location info along, so the wifi version might be able to act more like a 3g/4g device when tethered.

Anyone else have similar experiences with location via freetether. It used to work via usb on my old pc, but I've never tried usb since I have Bluetooth now. I don't know if WiFi tethering passes location info, but I would think that the TouchPad could use it if it did. Someone could make a trip to Wal-Mart to find out pretty easily, I suppose.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Don't confuse the "localization" feature with GPS. No smartphone (that I am aware of anyway) has a real GPS receiver. They all use "Assited GPS" (A-GPS) where the phone receives some data from satellites but the cellphone network helps them figure out their location (more on Wikipedia: Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). That's why most cellphone route planning software stops working if you have been in a no-coverage-area for a while. No data connection = no GPS based location info. And because Wifi only tablets aren't connected to the cellphone network, they can't use A-GPS. This situation won't change before someone finds a way to make reall GPS receiver electronics less power hungry and cheaper.

A-GPS is just one part of the localization feature. The other part localization based on surrounding Wifi networks which does not require a cellphone connection, just any internet connection to query a database of Wifi network names. The Wifi only iPad uses it, the Touchpad has it and even your phone uses it to give you an approximate fix while A-GPS is still searching satellites and talking with the cellphone tower.

And to answer the question: I don't expect to use the Touchpad (or any other tablet I might ever own) in situations when I am out and about and need information on the go. That's what my phone is for. The tablet will be a media consumption device which I will only carry along when I expect to have large amounts of time to fill.
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoTreoGurl View Post
    ME!! But I'm going to hope the bluetooth connection works for GPS, if not at launch, soon.
    Yes me too...hopefully some of the guys at webOS Internals can bang an external Bluetooth GPS a try...since these supposedly work on iPads and would be great for those like me who would use GPS in car or otherwise.

Too be honest, I want a Touchpad to replace my whole car stereo for music, info, GPS, and otherwise. I can see doing this, docking in a Touchstone charger, and having it all.

Cell coverage would help, but everything comes at a price (bout $30/month for ATT 3g modem service) and I'm hoping Free Tethering continues to work.

Any thoughts webOS Internal or other Creative webOS Developers/Hackers! Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by jonemo View Post
    Don't confuse the "localization" feature with GPS. No smartphone (that I am aware of anyway) has a real GPS receiver. They all use "Assited GPS" (A-GPS)

lol Wut
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonemo View Post
    Don't confuse the "localization" feature with GPS. No smartphone (that I am aware of anyway) has a real GPS receiver. They all use "Assited GPS" (A-GPS) where the phone receives some data from satellites but the cellphone network helps them figure out their location (more on Wikipedia: Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). That's why most cellphone route planning software stops working if you have been in a no-coverage-area for a while. No data connection = no GPS based location info. And because Wifi only tablets aren't connected to the cellphone network, they can't use A-GPS. This situation won't change before someone finds a way to make reall GPS receiver electronics less power hungry and cheaper.
    Sorry, but this is incorrect. All modern smartphones have a GPS chip in them, so they can do standalone GPS, i.e., no A-GPS required. I can't say the same for tablets.

The A in A-GPS stands for assisted. How does it assist? Well, GPS chips take a very long time to get satellite lock sometimes when you first turn them on. It can take 30 seconds, it can take 2 minutes. I had the Palm Treo so have experienced this first hand (wife yelling at me in driveway, "can we go now?"). The cell phone tower triangulation method (A-GPS) can get a fix on your position in seconds. So as soon as you launch a navigation program the phone uses A-GPS for a fast identification of your position. As soon as the satellites are locked on, the GPS chip takes over. The GPS chip is slower to acquire that first position lock than A-GPS, but it is way more accurate and faster thereafter.

The reason you lose navigation capabilities when you have a weak cell phone connection is because the software on your phone is retrieving the maps from the cell network in chunks, on the fly, as you travel. Your phone actually knows its GPS coordinates, but when there is no map data available it can't show you where you are on a map. There is software available (e.g. Navit) that stores the maps locally on your phone. You can even turn off your cell phone network and still navigate. How? Because the maps are stored locally -AND- you have a real GPS chip in the phone. (tip: if you lose cellular coverage on Sprint and are stuck in the middle of nowhere with no map data, just switch data-roaming on. This will let you use Verizon's cell network which is more widespread in rural areas of the country, to get that crucial map data).

You are correct in stating that since Wifi only tablets have no cellular connection they can't use A-GPS. They can, however, use IP-address based geolocation services. These services keep a database that maps IP-addresses to longitude/lattitude coordinates at best, and zip codes at worst. Not really accurate enough for navigation, but good enough for finding Pizzeria's "in your area".
    Last edited by rlopin; 06/25/2011 at 07:14 PM.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Quote Originally Posted by re2st View Post
    Seeing that the non-3G version doesn't have GPS, should I wait for the 3G version? When will it be released?
    I don't see this as a big thing. My MiFi has GPS and I believe that can be "tethered" to your computer/touchpad. So, if you are using your MiFi or tethering your phone to get to the internet I suspect the fact that your touchpad is without GPS is a complete non-issue.
    I'm intending to use my Verizon Palm Pre+ with Mobile Hotspot to get my network connection for my WiFi TouchPad. Will the Pre+ also be able to feed GPS data to the TouchPad so that I can run the Maps app on the larger form factor and see freeway and traffic data better than I currently can on my Pre+? I have to keep scrolling and pinching and zooming on the small screen to keep up with my commute and it would be great to have a setup in the vehicle where I can prop up the TouchPad to get a better lay of the land. Thoughts?
    splisskin likes this.
    Would be nice to have waze on both the pre3 and the touchpad. So GPS on touchpad would be nice. If it is inside the touchpad or through the pre3 or an external bluetouth/usb GPS.
    I am just wondering if the chip will be there and simply not turned on, but could be with a patch...
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    People keep commenting, "why would you need GPS on your TouchPad when you already have it on your Pre?".

Well, if that's the logic we're wroking with here, then why have Touch-To-Share - which does absolutely nothing more than transfer data from one device to another - essentially making both devices duplicitous of one another???

Of course, I do not subscribe to this thinking. I'm just pointing out how double-minded that frame of thinking is.

It would, after all, be nice not to have to defer back to my Pre when using Fandango or Where or Smarter Agent real estate listings, etc.

I definately see a use for GPS on the WiFi only TouchPad. Screw going to my Pre first, then touching to share.
    Quote Originally Posted by re2st View Post
    Seeing that the non-3G version doesn't have GPS, should I wait for the 3G version? When will it be released?
    Do you want the GPS feature? If so, wait I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    People keep commenting, "why would you need GPS on your TouchPad when you already have it on your Pre?".

Well, if that's the logic we're wroking with here, then why have Touch-To-Share - which does absolutely nothing more than transfer data from one device to another - essentially making both devices duplicitous of one another???

Of course, I do not subscribe to this thinking. I'm just pointing out how double-minded that frame of thinking is.

It would, after all, be nice not to have to defer back to my Pre when using Fandango or Where or Smarter Agent real estate listings, etc.

I definately see a use for GPS on the WiFi only TouchPad. Screw going to my Pre first, then touching to share.
    This is exactly what I was thinking.

Smallest phone, who is bigger screen. We will do all our stuffs on our TouchPad.
    Without Doc Edit. Who care, I don't need it since I use everyone on Google Doc.
    Too heavy. It's perfect weight for me. Ipad 2 is too light.
    Too thick. Ipad 2 is too thin.
    Too plastic. It feels comfortable on your hand.
    No apps. Who needs apps, I only use web browser.
    Too expensive. We don't want to show the world that this is cheap tablet.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    You are correct in stating that since Wifi only tablets have no cellular connection they can't use A-GPS. They can, however, use IP-address based geolocation services. These services keep a database that maps IP-addresses to longitude/lattitude coordinates at best, and zip codes at worst. Not really accurate enough for navigation, but good enough for finding Pizzeria's "in your area".
    I wanted to say something earlier regarding that post that isn't particularly accurate regarding aGPS but didn't want to get into a debate. Therefore, thanks rlopin! Let me add that another way the GPS chip is 'assisted' is by downloading a small ephemeris data file. This file basically have the current GPS configuration in the sky. It speeds up acquisition by providing the rough data at cold start. This is how many of the Windows Mobile phone used to do it. I don't know whether this method is still being used.

GpsPasSion Forums - Internet AGPS - InstantFix / MTK v2 / gpsOneXTRA

Whether TouchPad's GPS chipset uses this kind of assistance is unclear.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Any update on the release date (and price) for 3G?
    Not yet, but when I was playing with the TouchPad at Best Buy on Wednesday night, after connecting it via BlueTooth to my Pre while the TouchPad was using the Best Buy wireless network, the maps application identified my location as being in the southwest part of the store. That looks an awful lot to me like it's pulling GPS data from the phone.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    auto locate works on tPad wifi only, using google services. From the auto locate app, tap the left drop down menu, tap “locate me using”, then “google services”.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I activated the google services based auto locate on my Touchpad and have used it several places around the Atlanta metro area since yesterday and it has always done a great job of finding my location. I am not sure exactly how it does this as the Touchpad does not have GPS but it appears to work very well in my area.

Starting in about two weeks I will be traveling a lot for work again and will get to see how the Touchpad handles being on the road including the location services feature throughout the USA.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast