Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

PALO ALTO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--HP (NYSE:HPQ) today announced HP webOS Pivot, providing users an entertaining and informative editorial resource for discovering webOS 3.0 applications for the HP TouchPad, which launches July 1

Designed to complement the HP webOS App Catalog, Pivot will showcase a broad range of applications and the developers who create them by providing customers the freedom to explore based on their interests and lifestyles. Its just one of the new ways HP is enhancing the webOS Developer Program and investing further in the success of the growing ecosystem.

...read full text here:
    HP Announces webOS Pivot for HP TouchPad | Business Wire

Seems to be some kind of webOS app catalog magazine
    Last edited by rot; 06/23/2011 at 08:41 AM.
    Cool - seems like HP are going way beyond just launching another hardware product - but creating a technology/marketing eco-system to wrap around it - a surefire indication of a real long-term executively sponsored plan.

What an excellent idea. This should help out the independent devs quite a bit. While I'm sure it hurts to some the closing of the App Catalog feeds, this is a huge push to the dev community. Props to HP! This should be a fun tool to discover new apps!
    I do believe that's our first look at the new App Catalog... correct?

I also wonder what this line means:

"The webOS Developer Program enhancements also include a new discount structure. Developers will have access to this pricing model based on their years in the Palm developer program and active applications in the webOS App Catalog. "
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post

"The webOS Developer Program enhancements also include a new discount structure. Developers will have access to this pricing model based on their years in the Palm developer program and active applications in the webOS App Catalog. "
    Very interesting. Its sounds fair and hopefully this helps us get new hardware a lot quicker rather than having to requalify and shift through the approval process everytime.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Camera Fun! & Face Morpher
    My babies =)
    Sounds like HP is going to discount their commission rates based on how long a developer has been in their program. Cool idea to keep devs interested in making new apps.
    They may reopen the app catalog feeds after the TP launch. I'm sure the only reason they closed them was to hide the new 3.0 apps.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post

I imagine, either a discount for a yet to announce fee for being in the developer program or a better ratio than 30/70 for paid apps developers?
    I have to admit that when PreCentral and Webosroundup was mentioning the new HP patents/copyrights the other day and I saw the word "HP Pivot", I'm pretty sure no one in their right mind thought HP was referring to this. I thought it would be some kind of funky HP Touchpad display attachment :-)

This sounds like a kick-***** oppurtunity for HP and it's developers that I'm sure other companies will follow in the future (at least parts of the program)
    "Cool - seems like HP are going way beyond just launching another hardware product - but creating a technology/marketing eco-system to wrap around it - a surefire indication of a real long-term executively sponsored plan."

Exactly!
    Interesting...I wonder if this means that they have a bunch of apps that will need this "pivot" thing to discover.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I think this is a pretty good idea from the hp basically its creating a webos e-zine for devs and users.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Interesting...I wonder if this means that they have a bunch of apps that will need this "pivot" thing to discover.
    You mean something like, I don't know, 15,000?
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    hmm so pivot is like an interactive magazine of sorts. very interesting idea. i think all other magizine producers out there can get something from this
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    While I am still doubtful that 15k apps are available, I am more inclined to believe that more that 150 TouchPad apps exist.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by dajlol77 View Post
    They may reopen the app catalog feeds after the TP launch. I'm sure the only reason they closed them was to hide the new 3.0 apps.
    HP has already stated they closed them because they didn't want information about enterprise apps leaking out. It was in an article on the front page.... guess I'll pull it up one more time...

HP VP of Worldwide Developer Relations Richard Kerris chimed in in the comments of this very article, and is asking for patience from the community (whose passion continues to surprise him). He states that instead of addressing security concerns by "building a bunch of custom stores for each and every Enterprise customer," HP instead is taking "the stance of investing in our developers in a new and unique store approach that brings app discovery to a whole new level, which we think customers will really enjoy."
    HP shutting down open app feeds, putting PreCentral App Gallery and Preware into a bind | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    I'm glad you said that. I don't know if it's really going to be 15,000 (as was speculated in another thread), but I found the cynicism in that thread to be disappointing. This is supposed to be a WebOS forum, but it seems that many are determined to make it anit-. But, I digress; here's the point of my response:

I read the linked article, and found this slightly off-topic pice to be of interest:
    Working with HP and the webOS ecosystem has been fantastic, said Haden Blackman, co-president and chief creative officer of Fearless Studios, a game company recently started by Blackman and fellow LucasArts alum, Cedrick Collomb. Its a perfect fit with our core values as a company creative risks mitigated by smart technology choices. Because the platform is so accessible and developer-friendly, weve been able to build the game we want to build.

We love the TouchPad and the webOS platform for game development, added Collomb, chief technology officer, Fearless Studios. Its built from the ground up for seamless connectivity between devices and its an open platform, which makes development that much easier.
    I'd never heard of Fearless Studios, so I did a quick web search. They're a game company, with some fairly impressive credentials (the creative guys came from LucusArts). That was cool. They're hiring, that's also cool. Team that together with the comments on quoted in the article, it sounds like they're looking at WebOS as one of their early platforms on which to develop. That's really cool.

But then I noticed the date of their press release about their formation - October 12, 2010. This was shortly after Apotheker was named CEO, and just about the time that HP was beginning to really ramp up development with WebOS.

Coincidence? I really don't think so. I suspect that there are a lot of companies, startups and established companies, that HP has been working with behind the scenes. Yes, the have both reach and the ability to do that without attracting a lot of attention.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of newly announced products, services, and apps very quickly. If not at the release of the TP, then shortly after.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    While I am still doubtful that 15k apps are available, I am more inclined to believe that more that 150 TouchPad apps exist.
    I wonder how much crow will be eaten on July 1. HP shut down the app feeds awhile ago and there is rumor to be ~15,000 new apps. While rumors are just that, HP shutting down the feeds does one very important thing: it prevents people from seeing what's being posted in the market.

A lot of reviewers keep saying the TouchPad won't sell because of the lack of apps. I wonder how much they will eat those words once HP throws the switch and there are a few thousand new apps and those apps cover 99% of apps used on iOS and Android.

Besides, based on what I have read over the past week, the TouchPad may have a Facebook app before the iPad does.
    /nitpick

Those are some dirty fingernails!

/ducks and hides

On topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Besides, based on what I have read over the past week, the TouchPad may have a Facebook app before the iPad does.
    Wasn't there a discussion where the HP web banners show a Facebook app?
    as of now doing a search through the appcatalog using google , brings 450apps that are compatible with the TP and that includes mojo apps in emulation windows. So I think we will be very dissapointed with the amount of apps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast