Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    cnet posted its review from the New York event last night.

Hands on: HP TouchPad surfaces in NY | Crave - CNET

A luke-warm reception (from an iPad user) that was mostly toned down due to the lack of apps.
    Thanks!, I am cross posting in the thread about the media event below, let me know if you spot any other reviews.
    As I suspected from the video of last night, doesn't seem like anyone was allowed to touch the device for long and barely any apps were shown (still!)

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...a-tonight.html

from CNET review:
    "Most impressive was the TouchPad's photo-browsing app, which consolidates local and web-hosted photos from multiple sources, including FaceBook and Flickr. All photos are gathered in a universal album, achieving the same kind of clever trick that made the Palm Pre's social contact consolidation so compelling. Photos seen from FaceBook even carry over comments.

An Amazon Kindle app was also demonstrated with some pride. It's a good win to have on Day 1, but it's a standard-issue type of app for iOS/Android users. Page turning and the bookshelf layout looked crisp, and slightly different than the iPad Kindle app I use.
    A brief and slightly blurry look at the photo album consolidation.

A brief and slightly blurry look at the photo album consolidation.
    (Credit: Scott Stein/CNET)

We were barely allowed to interact with the demo units ourselves, so further impressions will have to wait for the upcoming full review. "

edit: he liked the keyboard, thought the Apple one is too big
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/23/2011 at 07:36 AM.
    I'm surprised by the line, "apps are the thing when it comes to tablets." I thought web content and streaming were the thing, along with user experience. Touchpad beats ipad on both.
    At least they got the Kindle app. That's very important app for alot of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    I'm surprised by the line, "apps are the thing when it comes to tablets." I thought web content and streaming were the thing, along with user experience. Touchpad beats ipad on both.
    App is very important to tablet. Even more than the smartphone I think.
    After the OS usability, apps are the most important thing for me and the one thing that would get me to switch to iOS permanently.
    If you don't understand this, you haven't found apps to suit your needs. Once you do, you'll understand it.
    Eh.
    Quite honestly, the single most important app a Tablet needs to have is a VERY good web browser. That is the cornerstone of why the tablet exists, imo.

Let's be frank, the majority of us will be using a TouchPad the majority of the time in the browser app.

Luckily, it does seem that the Touchpad has a great browser.
    Speaking of the browser... does it have tabbed browsing? I REALLY hated the ipad browser when I owned one and REALLY want this in my new Touchpad.
    Apps were created to fill in the gap left by a lack of Flash. Even then I have fewer apps on my tablet than my phone and even then the apps I have I only use because I don't have access to the "whole" web.

Don't be expecting rave reviews from any of the "mainstream" tech blogs. They bit the Apple long ago. Put an Apple logo on the TouchPad and it was made by the hands of God; otherwise it's a piece of junk.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadForce View Post
    Speaking of the browser... does it have tabbed browsing? I REALLY hated the ipad browser when I owned one and REALLY want this in my new Touchpad.
    I don't think it does, because it would be a bit redundant with cards.

You can have multiple browser windows open that you can switch between. The only question that remains is if they included an advanced gesture (like the Pre) to switch between them without minimizing out to card view.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stein - CNET Article
    The experience seemed somewhere between the Palm Pre and a Blackberry Playbook.
    I'm not sure how to interpret this. Is he implying that the Playbook is some sort of target that HP should be aiming for? Is he saying the TP is a blend of Pre and playbook? Either way, that is pretty sad.
    This may be your experience, but people I know with ipads have a coupleof games, and not much else. As for finding useful apps, I have quite a few on my Pre, but numerous surveys have shown that most smart phone users have fewer than ten non-native aps. And many that are among the most popular are really just reformatted web content. On a tablet, with a large screen, the need for such apps is quite a bit less.

Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    After the OS usability, apps are the most important thing for me and the one thing that would get me to switch to iOS permanently.
    If you don't understand this, you haven't found apps to suit your needs. Once you do, you'll understand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I don't think it does, because it would be a bit redundant with cards.

You can have multiple browser windows open that you can switch between. The only question that remains is if they included an advanced gesture (like the Pre) to switch between them without minimizing out to card view.
    Yea.. I guess that would be ok... Was just hoping for something like the xoom's browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimijames View Post
    I'm not sure how to interpret this. Is he implying that the Playbook is some sort of target that HP should be aiming for? Is he saying the TP is a blend of Pre and playbook? Either way, that is pretty sad.
    That's what happens when a product releases before another product. The ignorant masses assume the later product copied.

Reminds me of how so many think the iPod was the first and is the only mp3 player in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadForce View Post
    Yea.. I guess that would be ok... Was just hoping for something like the xoom's browser.
    I assume that someone could make a patch that would essentially "link" all your open browser windows into button/tabs at the top if that's what strikes your fancy.

I wouldn't use it if I had advanced gestures, but submit it as a patch request.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    App is very important to tablet. Even more than the smartphone I think.
    Apps on a tablet are not remotely close to as important as on a smartphone for me. A good browser on the other hand is much more important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I assume that someone could make a patch that would essentially "link" all your open browser windows into button/tabs at the top if that's what strikes your fancy.

I wouldn't use it if I had advanced gestures, but submit it as a patch request.
    Will the TouchPad have advanced gestures if there's no gesture area?

I think on a phone, cards for each browser page works fine. But on a tablet, tabbed browsing would be more efficient.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post

I think on a phone, cards for each browser page works fine. But on a tablet, tabbed browsing would be more efficient.
    Yeah I don't know.

What I'm really hoping for is two-finger swipe to go between cards. I'd prefer that over tabs taking up screen real estate.
    Just a note that Apple's Safari browser has tabs in iOS5.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post

they can use the playbook work around w/o a gesture aread (which is how the up gesture now works). a swipe from the side would suffice.

i too think tabbed browsing would be more efficient on a tablet than multiple open cards. There's no reason we can't have a blend of the two, sorta like the Universe app.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast