Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It's surfaced at Computex and sneaked around the world, but last night in New York marked the first time we've seen the HP TouchPad in its ready-to-go state, a mere week away from its July 1 availability in the U.S. HP had a table with two demo units a Pepcom event downtown, and we got a brief tour and quick hands-on feel of the unit.

Very curved, very glossy.
    (Credit: Scott Stein/CNET)
    HP is promising many of the same appealing page-style multitasking elements and content-consolidation in the TouchPad's version of WebOS that made the Palm Pre so innovative when it debuted. The TouchPad is sleek to the touch, smooth all around, and medium-weight to hold, an extremely different product aesthetically than the Windows-based HP Slate 500.
    The demo of the TouchPad showed its easy-to-flick and rearrange windows, as well as its app windows. The experience seemed somewhere between the Palm Pre and a BlackBerry PlayBook. "Full flash" was demonstrated by opening a movie information Web site and interacting with it, but like all Flash-enabled tablets thus far, there are bound to be limitations as compared with the experience on a laptop.
    Most impressive was the TouchPad's photo-browsing app, which consolidates local and Web-hosted photos from multiple sources, including Facebook and Flickr. All photos are gathered in a universal album, achieving the same kind of clever trick that made the Palm Pre's social contact consolidation so compelling. Photos seen from Facebook even carry over comments.
    An Amazon Kindle app was also demonstrated with some pride. It's a good win to have on Day 1, but it's a standard-issue type of app for iOS/Android users. Page turning and the bookshelf layout looked crisp, and slightly different than the iPad Kindle app I use.

A brief and slightly blurry look at the photo album consolidation.
    (Credit: Scott Stein/CNET)
    We were barely allowed to interact with the demo units ourselves, so further impressions will have to wait for the upcoming full review. The keyboard and dock were also shown, although they didn't seem significantly different than other tablets'--apart from the dock's use of touchstone charging technology, which is easier than hunting for pin contacts.
    Personally, I was more wowed by the HP TouchPad's adjustable-size virtual keyboard, a rather brilliant move for those who might find the iPad 2's well-sized keys a bit too screen-filling.
    I'm not sure anything I saw would really persuade me to buy one--after all, the apps are the thing when it comes to tablets, and I'm still not clear how many the TouchPad will have--but one year after acquiring Palm, HP's WebOS tablet certainly looks ready to roll.

Read more: Hands on: HP TouchPad surfaces in NY | Crave - CNET
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    This may be your experience, but people I know with ipads have a coupleof games, and not much else. As for finding useful apps, I have quite a few on my Pre, but numerous surveys have shown that most smart phone users have fewer than ten non-native aps. And many that are among the most popular are really just reformatted web content. On a tablet, with a large screen, the need for such apps is quite a bit less.
    what you dont realize is the capability some apps have and what they utilize, what functions are missing from mobile web (including uploading files, some Java type stuff and other little things depending on the OS like Silverlight for Netflix or other little things some popular sights need. Even once a mobile browser does get a perfect browser, apps make it easier, they allow for more native functions and unique experiences across platforms. I know many people who wouldn't look at webos because of the apps, my whole family left due to the lack of apps, I left because of the lack of apps and didn't wait due to the fact there probably won't be any in the near future. Now as far as phones go, im 99 percent sold on windows phone once mango comes out. I love my windows phone now but its feature set coming with mango completes my perfect cell phone. As far as tablets go however, ipads only hold on me is apps. If touchpad can start to intice my app needs id love to sell and switch over. But I want to see potential. If big name devs don't come less may buy and if less buy less apps are sold and less are made. As someone who started learning development because of webos, it saddens me that I've halted developmenet of my apps (a really nice student planner and multi-diet dieting app because I am a been and the things I want to do will take alot of work to learn and implement and with no real mindshare by big devs or consumers I am waiting to decide if I input the time. Apps are essentially the big thing with smart devices now. Specifically big names like Netflix, Amazon, and plenty others. Even if some can be seen as a website perfectly fine, people see the app it gains recognition as an app competitor.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    @Rexabel:

Yes, there are a few apps that are must have. Nobody disputes this, even though we may not "realize" all of your app wisdom. The Touchpad needs to have netflix and kindle apps, for example. But what it neds probably numbers in the few hundred, not 65,000. A few key apps matter, the rest do not.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    im not getting one, I'm just saying it doesn't look attractive from that angle. It has nothing to do with if I would buy it.
    My tools aren't fashion accessories so I'm good.
    I can think of a few apps off the top of my sleepy head:

- Shazam
    - Instagram
    - Flixster
    - Software Data Cable (file transfer between phone/tablet and PC/Mac within same wifi network)
    - car management app (mileage, maintenance reminders/mgmt)
    - Xfinity (or your cable/DBS provider's app)
    - HBO Go
    - AroundMe (or any location-based app, though this is more for the 3G/GPS-enabled TouchPad version)
    - oh, almost forgot: a fart app, of course

But seriously, these are the ones off the top of my head. And most do not have an equivalent web app.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Wha!!! How can you in all good sense call that a review? It was a fake mini sort of but not really preview. Did you read the thread where Jimmy actually had his hands on it and played with it? If not you should. The person for CNET mentioned something about not a lot of apps like Ipad, duh Captain Obvious and some other gibberish about being a mix between the Playbook and Pre. Finding nothing substantive about the Touchpad in the article one would be inclined to think that the writer looked at it and made a ' comment. But somehow you're worried? Cmon guy. Let's get real.
    wow dude, calm down. i was simply hoping they'd have slightly more enthusiastic words to say about it.
    This isn't a real, full review. They were allowed to touch it, that's it. They then put out a small hands on ("hands on" is misleading) review on it. Wow. Put your hands on the car and now put out a first review on it. Really? Lol.

First Hands On does not equate to a full review. Wait for a full review.

I don't like the shiny, cheap looking plastic crap either but I'm not surprised by it. Anyone who saw it back in February shouldn't be either.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Apps were created to fill in the gap left by a lack of Flash. Even then I have fewer apps on my tablet than my phone and even then the apps I have I only use because I don't have access to the "whole" web.

Don't be expecting rave reviews from any of the "mainstream" tech blogs. They bit the Apple long ago. Put an Apple logo on the TouchPad and it was made by the hands of God; otherwise it's a piece of junk.
    you hit the spot...
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post

- Shazam
    - Instagram
    - Flixster
    - Software Data Cable (file transfer between phone/tablet and PC/Mac within same wifi network)
    - HBO Go
    - AroundMe (or any location-based app, though this is more for the 3G/GPS-enabled TouchPad version)

But seriously, these are the ones off the top of my head. And most do not have an equivalent web app.
    LOL, I'd love the HBO Go app... A couple of friends have it on their android and iPhone, BUT can't use it cause TimeWarner doesn't work with HBO go. Anyhow, if there was a webOS version, I could rub it in their smug faces cause I'm on DTV.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I actually just read an article with an interesting slant on why apps are important and why it's such a hard target for niche platforms to hit.

The Eleventh App
    Wait, this thing now can access my backyard's orange tree? Is there anything the TouchPad can't do?

Take that, Cupertino Fruit Co.!

Poutaqueopariu! Tinha que ser um conterrāneo carioca...

He HAS to be a fellow countryman from Rio...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Apps were created to fill in the gap left by a lack of Flash. Even then I have fewer apps on my tablet than my phone and even then the apps I have I only use because I don't have access to the "whole" web.

Don't be expecting rave reviews from any of the "mainstream" tech blogs. They bit the Apple long ago. Put an Apple logo on the TouchPad and it was made by the hands of God; otherwise it's a piece of junk.
    You make a valid point.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    well, that really looks not good, does it have to be this plastic-glossy looking?
    Dude you been hiding under a rock or something? There's been videos of this thing since February. The look of it surprises you now?

- Shazam
    - Instagram
    - Flixster
    - HBO Go

I know a lot of people say Shazam is a great app and I have it on my ipod, but how many times do you actually use that app? I think I used it twice to show my friends, then never used it again. It's one of those kinda pointless apps where you look at it and say.. 'cool' and then never use it again. At least for me it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    It's one of those kinda pointless apps where you look at it and say.. 'cool' and then never use it again.
    That's a good description of 95% of all Android and Apple apps; which makes you kind of scratch your head when people get all obsessed with app-store numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    That's a good description of 95% of all Android and Apple apps; which makes you kind of scratch your head when people get all obsessed with app-store numbers.
    A lot of people here are missing the point on why the amount of available apps is important. Nobody is going to use 100,000 apps, but the more apps available, the better chance you will find the specific apps that are important to you. This might be completely different than the apps that are important to another person.

For example, my brother uses an ipad to keep track of his flight charts (he is an amateur pilot). I have another friend who uses his iPad to write screen plays. They each have an app that they use and love for these tasks. I have no need for apps like that, but realize they are very important to other people.

I always laugh when people say as long as you have Netflix, then nothing else is needed.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123