1.    #1  
    a new article written over at pdfdevices.com. Enjoy

HP TouchPad Against iPad 2: Head-on

Since HP claims its webOS tablet, HP TouchPad has the stuff to beat Apple’s iPad 2, it’s only fitting that we run a comparison between the two 9.7inch tablets – based on hardware, software, and price.

iPad 2 released on March 11, 2011 and has been sailing ahead of all tablets ever since. It is available in black and white, 16GB/32GB/64GB, and Wi-Fi/3G models. HP TouchPad will release on July 1 but you can preorder it at Amazon, Best Buy, HP, Newegg, Staples, and TigerDirect since June 19. A white model of the webOS tablet is also in the offing.

I found this funny -
    iPad 2 and HP TouchPad are comparable in OS capabilities but there’s a wide gap when it comes to applications and games

More at the link above; however much of these articles are really a waste of time with no real information. I mean, was there any thought put into this one? Got to love the web!
    Last edited by Midway99; 06/23/2011 at 01:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    iPad 2 and HP TouchPad are comparable in OS capabilities but there’s a wide gap when it comes to applications and games.
    ha ha, thats like saying I hate dogs but I love petting them.....

Thanks for the article! This is a must read
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Thanks - an interesting read.

You read a lot about Apps availability - I suppose it depends on what you intend to the tablet for. I wonder how many apps people will actually buy in the real world? Most iPads I've seen have one or two games on and that's about it. People with iPhones are a different story and the app market for that seems to have taken off.

So Apple can offer 65,000 apps - that'll probably equate to about 64,995 that most of us don't want because access to the web and it's dynamic content is the primary interest.
    Why can't they compare the hardware properly. Is it so hard to convert mAh to Watt hours. Why quote the pixel density for the iPad2 and not the TP(they're virtually identical BTW). Quoting the bit depth for the TP, but not the IP2. TP has 1.3mp front camera, IP2 has a VGA camera. I could go on. My god they make it hard work to compare them.

Needed to get that rant out. Now to read the rest...
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Did you notice that they said the Touchstone is for sharing data between devices, rather than for charging? They confused Touch to Share with the Touchstone! They also claim that iOS can also do multi-tasking, which is not entirely true since ENTIRE apps can't run in the background on iOS, only certain functions can run in the background.

No real depth, no investigation of how to switch between applications and the real differences in implementation. They didn't do any real COMPARISON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicblue View Post

You read a lot about Apps availability - I suppose it depends on what you intend to the tablet for. I wonder how many apps people will actually buy in the real world? Most iPads I've seen have one or two games on and that's about it. People with iPhones are a different story and the app market for that seems to have taken off.

So Apple can offer 65,000 apps - that'll probably equate to about 64,995 that most of us don't want because access to the web and it's dynamic content is the primary interest.
    I have eight apps on my iPad. Apps are much less relevant on tablets than phones. The web is easier and more convenient on tablets, whereas apps are the easier and more convenient on phones.

Those eight apps, fwit, are Twitter, imo (instant messaging), Pulse news, BBC iPlayer, Kindle, Pages, Penultimate (sketching) and Coursenotes (notes app for university).

And even then iPlayer will work without an app on Touchpad through Flash, and Messaging on the Touchpad will place imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicblue View Post

You are correct. It depends on what someone <i>does</i> with a tablet — why do they want it? For me, my iOS tablet is a laptop replacement -- <i>sort of</i>. Lighter, easier to hold while reading, long battery life -- typical tablet stuff. I make daily use of iSSH, Box.net, Dropbox, Office-apps, text editor (w/ cloud interaction), Evernote, ToDo, Readdle (for making PDFs from web), iAnnotate (reading & notes on PDFs), Kindle, Nook, Stanza -- these are the 3rd party apps that help replace a laptop for <i>me</i>. I literally have 10 lbs of paper and 4 lbs of laptop that I don't have to lift because of the functionality of these apps. So for me, these were key. For docs/spreadsheets, I really like the Apps that allow a local copy but sync back to the server &#8212 very handy. But I also make constant use of the built-ins, such as Calendar, email, & browser. If I count my 3rd party apps, it looks like I have 13 or so -- more if you count twitter/linkedin/facebook type stuff.

As a followup thread, it might be interesting to hear from other tablet owners (future owners!) about the productivity/tech Apps they <i>intend</i> to use regularly. We might discover good ideas of how the tablets can do things we didn't think of.
    ------------------
    James C.
    Digital EcoSystem: GNU/Emacs/Vim/BSD/c/Linux/groff/iOS/LaTeX/OS X/WebOS/Win7/&c.
    Gadget Disclosure: Pre-/iPad1/Dell E6410/MacBook(OS X/Linux/NetBSD)
  8. AZ8
    Until the TP is used in the real world, its pointless to try and compare the two. iPad2 is being used everyday by millions of people. The TP has a few demo models scattered around the nation.

How it works with everyday life is the "proof in the pudding" that really matters. These internet blogs are meaninless. Until we see the TP in the wild, and how it performs beyond some "in-store" demo, I think this is all too silly.

Just my opinion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    Did you notice that they said the Touchstone is for sharing data between devices, rather than for charging? They confused Touch to Share with the Touchstone! They also claim that iOS can also do multi-tasking, which is not entirely true since ENTIRE apps can't run in the background on iOS, only certain functions can run in the background.

No real depth, no investigation of how to switch between applications and the real differences in implementation. They didn't do any real COMPARISON.
    The site isn't called "pdfdevices.com" for nothing, after all.
  10. JKM
    I have an iPad 2 and do not care about the number of apps.
    98% of the time I use the web browser and I have only a few additional apps installed.

What I really like about the iPad 2 is the hardware. It's thin, light and the battery lasts extremely long.
    Besides, I discovered that I never need to reboot the device.
    My Pre Plus needs a reboot now and then (and sometimes restarts itself automatically )
    but the iPad has been running for months without a reboot. That's impressive.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JKM View Post
    I have an iPad 2 and do not care about the number of apps.
    98% of the time I use the web browser and I have only a few additional apps installed.

What I really like about the iPad 2 is the hardware. It's thin, light and the battery lasts extremely long.
    Besides, I discovered that I never need to reboot the device.
    My Pre Plus needs a reboot now and then (and sometimes restarts itself automatically )
    but the iPad has been running for months without a reboot. That's impressive.
    for now yes i agree with u... apps dont bring much to the table in a tablet, however with the ipad it is neccessary simply because of the lack of flash.

but i posted this somewhere else already, apps on tablet have the ability to create an even more unique and personal experiences. one quick example i thought of is buying a movie ticket on fandango app and using TTS to transfer the stub to ure pre3.

i know u can still do this through email and such, but in my example the exp is seemless, buy ure ticket, touch and go....

like i said, the tablet business is just starting. with the ecosystem HP is building the experiences that lay ahead are countless~!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    for now yes i agree with u... apps dont bring much to the table in a tablet, however with the ipad it is neccessary simply because of the lack of flash.

but i posted this somewhere else already, apps on tablet have the ability to create an even more unique and personal experiences. one quick example i thought of is buying a movie ticket on fandango app and using TTS to transfer the stub to ure pre3.

i know u can still do this through email and such, but in my example the exp is seemless, buy ure ticket, touch and go....

like i said, the tablet business is just starting. with the ecosystem HP is building the experiences that lay ahead are countless~!
    Wait. Are you implying that apps aren't needed on platforms that are Flash-enabled?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Wait. Are you implying that apps aren't needed on platforms that are Flash-enabled?
    That's how I read it as well. Are we forgetting about apps that have nothing to do with the web? E.g. Document Editing?
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    What im saying is that most apps for the ipad now only give a streamlined web exp. and yes flassh plays a big part of that, not the only one.

Apps for tablets now are in a very very nascent stage, that the point im trying to get accross. most of the apps are ports of a iphone app smoothed out to run in the ipad.

and one thing u can be sure of is that more and more apps will be web enabled in the future, people want a conncected exp and the cloud gives that to people. its part of the webos ecosystem that hp wants to build.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Since April 2010, I've accumulated 60+ apps on my iPad and daily use at least 15 of them. Most of the apps facilitate and improve the web experience but many are standalone.

I miss Flash but LogMeIn and Splashtop provide access via my home computer when I really need it. I'm open to HP's offering as long as I have similar functionality and simplicity. They have big shoes to fill.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevr1990 View Post
    I have eight apps on my iPad. Apps are much less relevant on tablets than phones. The web is easier and more convenient on tablets, whereas apps are the easier and more convenient on phones.

Those eight apps, fwit, are Twitter, imo (instant messaging), Pulse news, BBC iPlayer, Kindle, Pages, Penultimate (sketching) and Coursenotes (notes app for university).

And even then iPlayer will work without an app on Touchpad through Flash, and Messaging on the Touchpad will place imo.
    I agree with your assessment that on tablets apps are less of an issue as long as web experience is stellar. From all user accounts it seems Touchpad will be a viable alternative to iPad2 or any other tablet. I still think HP made a mistake on the price front but I will let the market decide just how big a mistake it was.

I think Touchpad is interesting because webOS is actually a much better OS than any other mobile OS. There are certain nuances that make the same features available on webOS a joy to use compared to Android or iOS or windows phone7. Palm's philosophy on making everything easy to use and still feature rich seems like the best compromise between iOS and Android. Apple's approach is to support only a few features but making them easy to use and Android's approach is to support a lot of features but no mandate of following a strict UI guideline that makes it not as intuitive to use. That said, Android 3.1 shows it is getting better slowly, I have really high hopes for Ice cream sandwich. I believe Android will be a much better OS by this year's end. This also means the delta between webOS and other mobile OSes is decreasing rapidly.

On a side note, looking at what you have installed on your ipad I think you need to try flipboard and Zite along with Zinio.