Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chill man.

I was honestly asking about the NDA, from what we have heard from the developer community the NDA is strict. I know I have seen multiple mentions from developers/homebrewers that the NDA in it's current form is in some ways hampering potential development.

In the end, (you brought this up) if HP holds the developers (you know those guys building the user base for the platform) to a stricter NDA than their sales reps, that is bad news for all of us and WebOS as a whole.

If you are unaware developers are unable to release all kinda of information (including screen shots), so if HP policy allows sales reps to give hands on demos of this nature while tying the hands of devs, that's not a good thing in my book.

To the OP and anyone else, I never once said I didn't believe the OP (please show me where I did that), I asked honest questions. Sorry if others aren't concerned with the NDA. I thought this was the place to ask questions.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I'm tired of watching you guys always question the bearers of great news... he makes a superb post and out of 13 or 14 other posts in this thread at least 3 of them I read and you're already picking him apart, finding any reason to doubt his story no matter how unreasonable it may seem.

So what there's a SNES or NES emulator on a corporate device, so what it wasn't an 'OFFICIAL' training session, none of you guys work for HP and none of you know their policies.

Thank you OP for the news, it's forever welcome on this site.
    my thoughts exactly. OP's post does not sound fabricated.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah man, i agree.. this guys gave us some pretty great news. He addressed the concerned many about the speed of apps loading .. just thank the guy. if u choose not to believe ihm thats fine too. ure comments are really not needed. just wait till july for ure turn to say something
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    ... if HP policy allows sales reps to give hands on demos of this nature while tying the hands of devs, that's not a good thing in my book.
    I don't really agree. I feel like devs get an "inner" look into the system, while sales rep just have to sell the damn thing. I'm all for devs having a stricter NDA and sales reps being allowed to flaunt the device... since... isn't that kind of their job? How are they going to sell something without being able to show it in action?
  5.    #25  
    While I wasn't asked not to share this information, NDA is why I have chosen not to say where I work.

This unit wasn't being shown off to the public, it was being shown to get all of my sales assoicates hyped up about the pending release.

In the sea of tablet alternatives, this is the only product to be personally shown of by someone from the company. HP is very enthusiastic about these products.

This rep also had a veer with him. He didn't have time to show touch to share, or phone call sharing, but I did see the phone app on the Touchpad too.

The SNES app is in the official app catalog, so why not show it off.

I would hope that I'm a reliable source to you guys. I've had two topics make it to the front pages of Pre Central.

webOS up and running on PC hardware | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net

and this one was an anonymous tip at the time
    HP webOS Central provides training for the unwashed carrier store masses | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net
    Thanks again for the info. My guess is the HP sales rep is under an NDA. If he was required to, he would have had you and your team all sign NDAs prior to starting the demo. And, if you pulled out a camera to take video/pics, he might just have said "Umm, no." ltm.
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdowers View Post
    While I wasn't asked not to share this information, NDA is why I have chosen not to say where I work.

This unit wasn't being shown off to the public, it was being shown to get all of my sales assoicates hyped up about the pending release.

In the sea of tablet alternatives, this is the only product to be personally shown of by someone from the company. HP is very enthusiastic about these products.

This rep also had a veer with him. He didn't have time to show touch to share, or phone call sharing, but I did see the phone app on the Touchpad too.

I would hope that I'm a reliable source to you guys. I've had two topics make it to the front pages of Pre Central.

webOS up and running on PC hardware | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net

HP webOS Central provides training for the unwashed carrier store masses | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net
    Thanks for your great service to the community. HP showing off the TouchPad tonight at a conference for the NY community, I assume we'll be getting more info soon.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...a-tonight.html

Thank you for actually replying and not just telling people to not ask questions.

I was really curious about the nature of the visit and the NDA (despite what some might say). Not saying this is your employer, and not asking... It's funny (odd) that some retailers get the treatment you did, or certain best buys getting training on the Veer and free Veers... Then other locations have no clue about the TP/Veer.

I'm sure some in this thread will disagree, but once again, scarry since it would seam HP retail sales reps aren't all on the same page for whatever reason. Far more stories of retail locations having no idea of what's going on than having these detailed visits.

I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    All sales reps are not created equal, and I'm sure it's the same within HP's salesforce. Higher performing reps often have more perks to hand out, etc. Also, HP reps will cater more to the higher volume stores.

Just two methods to the madness.
    I see pandas.
    Plus there are thousands of retail stores that will be selling the TouchPad. HP probably doesn't have enough trained reps to go to all the stores at once. They are probably rotating through the higher volume stores first and then will trickle down the chain as time permits.

I didn't really want a tablet until I started seeing recent demos of the TouchPad. With more and more videos, and first hand accounts like the OP's, I'm really trying to figure out how to sell the notion of getting one to the wife. That's going to be a tough nut to crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    All sales reps are not created equal, and I'm sure it's the same within HP's salesforce. Higher performing reps often have more perks to hand out, etc. Also, HP reps will cater more to the higher volume stores.

Just two methods to the madness.
    I understand this fully, spent plenty of years in nationwide retail. I am not normally one of the ones that posts the worried posts around here.

Massive corporations like HP usually have stringent uniform roll out plans. Sure every sales rep doesn't get a free personal TP. Those familiar with retail would hope with the national partnering that HP would have a better plan in place than we have seen (maybe they do and we haven't seen it).

I am just being real about this stuff. I am not a neysayer (as you can see from all of my posts), but I am not a "hp apologist". I just take the information I can find and analyze. HP is doing a lot of good things, but I would expect retail sales reps (we are talking about folks selling to HUGE retailers) to be slightly more consistent (especially with the current job market). Seasoned sales reps, field management, etc at are at an abundance right now looking for decent employment. An international conglomerate should have no problem solidfying these positions with talented individuals nationwide (if not worldwide).

Oh just to add, I have e-mailed my "small business" sales rep once with a question on delivery time frame. I have received 3 e-mails, and 7 calls with voicemails now. I have not answered one call or returned a call.

I know she just wants to make money, but these folks that want to make money are available across the country for sure.

This is just reality. Maybe HP flat pays their retail sales reps cuz they aren't the ones doing the actual sales ordering... As I have said many times non-commissioned sales people will almost always have less info than someone who makes money on their actual sales.

13.    #33  
    HP is actually doing a great job of getting the word out to thier retail outlets. Next Sunday HP has invited sales associates from many major retailers to attend an HP training session followed by a movie at a local theater. Over a hundred local reps usually attend. The Touchpad has been teased at previous events, but it is very likely it will be discussed in detail at this event. One will also be given away. I'll post more if I win!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    This is just reality. Maybe HP flat pays their retail sales reps cuz they aren't the ones doing the actual sales ordering... As I have said many times non-commissioned sales people will almost always have less info than someone who makes money on their actual sales.
    They do (most likely) get a flat pay. I recall reps from my work at Office Max, namely the Canon guy and the Microsoft people, coming in. They came in quite often, probably once a month or so. Their sole job was to go around to all the retail stores that carried their products, and assist employees with training on the products, obviously to help the employees push their products. They were always extremely knowledgeable about the product, and would even help with customers.

Though, I'd like to hope the Sprint (I know, I know) rumors are false, and maybe this rep had no idea of carriers. It is possible that it's very over her head. However, I'd say everything else sounds exquisite and I'm very happy to hear it. Makes me more excited for next Friday (only thing I have to hold me over until then is my excitement for tomorrow's NBA Draft, Go Cavs!).

HP is actually doing a great job of getting the word out to thier retail outlets. Next Sunday HP has invited sales associates from many major retailers to attend an HP training session followed by a movie at a local theater.
    Wow. Never heard of anything that big for multiple retailers. I'm going to go ahead and assume you probably live in California or some other very large city/suburban area, but I won't ask you to reveal your location. Just seems like they wouldn't do that unless they were in a HUGE market.
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    Wow. Never heard of anything that big for multiple retailers. I'm going to go ahead and assume you probably live in California or some other very large city/suburban area, but I won't ask you to reveal your location. Just seems like they wouldn't do that unless they were in a HUGE market.
    This is HUGE for HP. They're doing a cross country training session similar to what the previous poster said. It should be exciting and hope this really pays off for them!
    Last edited by bb147; 06/22/2011 at 11:26 PM.
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    This close to launch, NDA stuff tends to get a bit sloppy since you are talking about the retail channel, and many retail employees have very little concept of what a NDA is about or what possible consequences there might be. The pre-orders are going in, so letting the general public know about the strengths of the device will help sales and won't really hurt anything. If people end up not buying because a feature that was never announced is confirmed not to be there, then that will actually help since that is a device that won't be returned to the store after purchase.

The NDA will still be in force, but features that have been publicly announced can now be talked about, as long as the people under NDA are VERY VERY careful not to break NDA while talking about the device. The NDA may also forbid telling people that they are under the NDA, so it is still dangerous.
  17.    #37  
    Pivot is what I was talking about in the new app catalog.

Pivot is HP's App Catalog magazine | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12