Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    With the TouchPad's impending launch on Friday, July 1st, Walmart's 24-hour stores look like a good alternative for those of us who can't stand to wait 10hrs to get their grubby paws on the TouchPad.

Personally, although I'm expecting my HP pre-order to arrive on Tuesday, July 5th, the four-day weekend (I'm off on Friday, 7/1) is just too long of a wait for me, so I'm also planning on getting the TouchPad on launch date.

Is anyone here thinking about a stop at Walmart's 24hr store? Are you expecting any issues with purchasing the the TouchPad at the midnight hour, considering a less informed WM associate may not realize it's July 1st already?
    I thought about it, but there are probably only going to be 1 or 2 avaliable at mine and I would be the third in line.

I went ahead and just pre-ordered mine on Newegg (amazon charges tax where i live), and i'll just bite the bullet and wait until tuesday.
    I ordered a 32gb touchpad from bestbuy.com but plan to go to walmart at midnight if I dont get any indication of getting the touchpad on the 1st from bestbuy via mail. If I get it locally then I'll just return the bestbuy.com order to a local store or resell it. Its just too long of a weekend not to get it on July1st if I can.
  4.    #4  
    How do you know there would be two people in line in front of you? And what line -since WM is open 24hrs, you'd just walk in 30mins (or however early you want), stop by the electronics dept and wait.
  5.    #5  
    Hmmm... resell the TouchPad -I hadn't thought of that...
    I'll be at Walmart waiting on it...its certain they won't have the touchstone or case though, which sucks!
    They probably won't even have it
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Not sure if I'll show up at midnight, but I am taking the day off from work in case I need to visit more than one Wal-marts or Best Buy, etc. to get mine. Already pre-ordered the case and Touchstone from Amazon.
    If I did this, I can just see coming home, setting up the device, then logging into Amazon to cancel my preorder.

But I'll likely wait for Amazon to deliver.
    Working Friday, also don't think I can make an excuse to spend 600+ to be an early adopter right now.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    This is plan A for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    How do you know there would be two people in line in front of you? And what line -since WM is open 24hrs, you'd just walk in 30mins (or however early you want), stop by the electronics dept and wait.
    The iPhone 4 also sold at Walmart on launch; I happened to be in eastern Kentucky visiting family (a town of only ~15,000). I thought I'd go pick up an iPhone 4 at midnight on launch – to my surprise there were over 50 people in line, some had been there over 12 hours (for only 3 phones, to which people weren't told about until about 20 minutes before).

I don't think the TouchPad will have that kind of popularity upon launch, but the idea is don't count on just showing up shortly before midnight and not think others have been there since earlier.
  13.    #13  
    I'm willing to bet that there will be not a single soul at WalMart on midnight Thursday for the TouchPad.

There has been absolutely NO marketing campaign promoting the TouchPad, and even if HP miraculously started a massive campaign tomorrow, there wouldn't bve anywhere near the commotion for the TouchPad.

Now once it launches and the campaign starts, I can see the interest level spiking up.
    If I buy one at walmart in michigan, can I return the one that I get from amazon to a walmart in florida?
    I'm willing to bet that there will be not a single soul at WalMart on midnight Thursday for the TouchPad.

There has been absolutely NO marketing campaign promoting the TouchPad, and even if HP miraculously started a massive campaign tomorrow, there wouldn't bve anywhere near the commotion for the TouchPad.

Now once it launches and the campaign starts, I can see the interest level spiking up.
    I agree and its alot easier to cough up $200 for a phone than it is to cough up $500-$600 for a tablet. I do know ill have mine on day one just like I did my pre-

Sent from that Nexus S 4G via Tapatalk
    I also plan on heading out to a 24-hour Walmart, but only after calling at midnight to have them do a UPC check in inventory and have them set one aside for me. I wouldn't even contemplate asking a night shift sales person to locate the product by name.

Like others have already said, I have serious doubts that there will be a rush on every retail store for these. I figure that gives me a pretty good chance of picking one up a little early, even if supply is low at the stores.

I'll get my accessories a little later through Amazon.
    Two local WalMarts are 24-hour stores. I'm going first to the one where I get my ammo and next to the one in the lower-income part of the county.

If that doesn't work, there are about a dozen Best Buy, Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, or Fry's stores within 20 minutes of where I work. One of them will have stock.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    For anyone in NYC (since we don't have any Walmart's in the 5 borough's), the Best Buy at 14th st Union Square is 24hrs. That would be a good place for anyone in NYC that wants to get one at midnight.
    Agreed. Easy call. Shouldn't have to worry about it.

I'm not a Wal-Mart shopper (never will be), even if I was, I think I'll get my sleep and not have to deal with the midnight crowds nearby -- they're not there for the TouchPad, I have two 24-hr Wal-Marts within a mile of each other and they constantly busy with awesome parents taking their toddlers and kids under the age of 8 at midnight-3am for groceries. But, if anyone has any concern, just call on the 30th and check stock. Even if you're skeptical about your small town Wal-Mart, doesn't hurt to ask.

I'll go in to work for a couple hours on Friday and stop by Best Buy/Staples/Office Depot on my way home
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    As previously suggested, make sure your local Walmart will carry it. Not all of them will have it. Don't get your hopes up on a midnight release either. Unless it's advertised as such, it may be out a day or two early or it could be later that morning.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast