Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
  1.    #1  
    I thought I would post the details for pre-ordering at Best Buy for store pick-up on 7/1/11:

    First, of the three stores I went to NOBODY knew what I was talking about, inlcuding the store managers at two of the stores, one of which a forum member had already pre-ordered at the day before!

    I went to the Pasadena, CA store and was directed to the In Store Pickup Dept by the computer guys. The guy in In Store pickup and his manager took the instructions I had from the forums, tweaked them and got me my Reservation Ticket in 15 minutes. Here's what they did:

    Log on
    Put in HP touchpad
    Put in the Pre-sale sku 2490126 (the regular sku for touchpad does not bring up the pre-sale documents)
    They took my contact information and phone number
    I paid $50 and received a gift card and a receipt that says: Touchpad 16GB Presale in all caps
    I asked for and got a copy of the reservation ticket. It says it is valid between 6/19/2011 - 07/01/2011.

    I was told that once they get their touchpads, they will call me to come pick it up, apply the gift card and buy any accessories.

    Iplan to get the Buy Back protection, but I am getting warranty and replacement insurance from SquareTrade.com - $99 for two years of repairs and replacement due to damage insurance.
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
  2. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #2  
    wow so BB is giving out gift cards with a pre order? how much?
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  3. #3  
    They make you buy a gift card to preorder it.
  4. #4  
    Thanks for posting the steps. The guy at BB (San Francisco) told me it was online only. I told him that I read online that it was in store but tricky. We searched the forum and I couldn't find the post so he did some digging around and found it. If you go to the BB on Geary ask for Nick, he was super helpful!
  5. #5  
    Good info! Isn't it sad that we have to show those blue-shirt lackeys how to do their jobs?
  6. #6  
    The store in Avon, IN had no clue it was possible to pre-order tablets. I walked them through the process and got my 32GB TouchPad on order. The only thing I forgot was a copy of the reservation slip, but the receipt is good enough. I'd probably just take out the reservation slip a couple of times a day to daydream about 7/1.
  7. #7  
    Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to call first to my store and maybe get it in their heads so I don't have any trouble stopping by later this week.
  8. #8  
    not their fault if no one ever told them. Seems like communication from hp wasn't so good here. Or store and shift managers are not doing their job. Not the employees fault unless they were informed and trained on the presale process - which seems to have not happened.

    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Good info! Isn't it sad that we have to show those blue-shirt lackeys how to do their jobs?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    not their fault if no one ever told them. Seems like communication from hp wasn't so good here. Or store and shift managers are not doing their job. Not the employees fault unless they were informed and trained on the presale process - which seems to have not happened.
    At the same time, with all the games, phones and other high demand items that are usually available for pre-order, shouldn't they know how to check the system to see if the item is available?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rburtz View Post
    At the same time, with all the games, phones and other high demand items that are usually available for pre-order, shouldn't they know how to check the system to see if the item is available?
    It appears from the OP that it was not searchable and you have to use the pre-order SKU. This is clearly a lack of communication on BB's managers or systems people and not the salespeople IMO.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    not their fault if no one ever told them. Seems like communication from hp wasn't so good here. Or store and shift managers are not doing their job. Not the employees fault unless they were informed and trained on the presale process - which seems to have not happened.
    Yes, it is their fault -how dare you?! Out of here with your common sense ways, my good sir!

    I say GOOD DAY TO YOU, SIR!

    All kidding aside, that is true, though I wouldn't blame HP on this yet. As I was told by a BBY manager last week, TouchPad training would not start (at least in my area) on the week of the 26th, so that may be the reason as to why there isn't so much information out there.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    It appears from the OP that it was not searchable and you have to use the pre-order SKU. This is clearly a lack of communication on BB's managers or systems people and not the salespeople IMO.
    They were able to search for it and find it when I pre-ordered last night. I guess it depends on how motivated the employee is to dig for it. I think I motivated him enough that he wanted me to leave as fast as possible.
  13. #13  
    This post is so interesting, literally just yesterday I had virtually the exact same experience (but slightly different) at BestBuy here in Orlando, FL.

    The first Best Buy I stopped at I was truly impressed that virtually the first phone display I saw was the HP Veer one. The display had three units on it, two dummie phones on the left and right and a completely working one elevated in the center running a HP Webos style commericial loop or something. Then I headed over to the PC/Tablet section and right in the middle of the main section (closest to the main walk way, where every customers walks past) was the the nicely shaped Touchpad display. The display also had two dummie Veers and the cardboard Touchpad in the middle and on the reverse side was the same setup. Very very very nice advertising space, I don't care what the product was, it was a darn good placement.

    I then head over to the main desk in the PC section (not know I might say) to pre-order the Touchpad. It was more going to be a question of if it was possible since I only thought you could do it online anyway. The woman I spoke to immediately said she wasn't sure and before she could even go and check one of her fellow co-workers who over heard us speak, interupted her and said absolutely I can pre-order in store. I was super excited, so the lady then looks up the product SKU i assume, and tells me it was $50 dollars. She then took my name, address, etc...After the purchase she made me fill out some kind of form that was printed that had a huge Touchpad picture on it, with my name and contact number (I'm assuming it was a reserve sheet.)

    And that was it, took less than 10mins. I was impressed, except for the fact that the laldy didn't know the release date, I informed her :-)
  14. #14  
    Well I just went to my local Best Buy (Woodruff Rd - Greenville, SC) and was turned away when I tried to pre-order. I even gave them the sku from this thread. Wasted half my lunch hour on the trip too.. HP. fix this now
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by rburtz View Post
    The store in Avon, IN had no clue it was possible to pre-order tablets. I walked them through the process and got my 32GB TouchPad on order. The only thing I forgot was a copy of the reservation slip, but the receipt is good enough. I'd probably just take out the reservation slip a couple of times a day to daydream about 7/1.
    mine is right by my door so I get to see it alllll the time. 9 days!
  16. thawkth's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #16  
    I'd immediately call the store and request to speak to a manager.

    I would also call 1888Bestbuy and ask to speak to consumer relations.

    You should NOT have been turned away ESPECIALLY when preorders are in effect and you knew enough to have the sku. That sort of behavior is not acceptable.

    The store merely has to log into the employee toolkit and search "touchpad" - it brings up a whole bunch of information INCLUDING the preorder process and documentation.

    People make me mad.
  17. #17  
    Since I'm planning to stop by Walmart at midnight on Thursday to attempt to get a TouchPad, I shudder to think how their associates will handle this...
  18. #18  
    I was the second preorder for them. Earlier I stopped at my local Office Depot and talked to the Store Manager to see if she would reserve one for me. She just had the class last week they used a cardboard cutout to show but the HP trainer mentioned a selling point would be that it will pair well with the new Sprint Pre 3 I questioned her about the Sprint part and that was the only one mentioned? She also said I new more about it than the HP rep. did.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by thawkth View Post
    I'd immediately call the store and request to speak to a manager.

    I would also call 1888Bestbuy and ask to speak to consumer relations.

    You should NOT have been turned away ESPECIALLY when preorders are in effect and you knew enough to have the sku. That sort of behavior is not acceptable.

    The store merely has to log into the employee toolkit and search "touchpad" - it brings up a whole bunch of information INCLUDING the preorder process and documentation.

    People make me mad.

    Thanks thawkth for breaking the BB employee stereotype (fair or unfair, but that's for a different thread... lol) and posting good, informative info and helping us WOSers out with the preorders. Makes me almost want to go to BB to purchase instead of using Amazon to save enough sales tax to pay for a Touchstone.
    I see pandas.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by popologuy View Post
    Iplan to get the Buy Back protection, but I am getting warranty and replacement insurance from SquareTrade.com - $99 for two years of repairs and replacement due to damage insurance.
    My Advise? Don't get the buy back protection....Read:

    Best Buy's "Buy Back" Program Isn't Exactly A Great Deal - The Consumerist
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions