Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Take it from a former blue shirt, not worth it. I just recently sold my 1st gen iPad 32GB 3G and got $450 for it. Going by the BuyBack timeframe, BBY would only give me ~$252, and the terms and conditions state the product has to be in good, working condition.
    That was my point. Not worth it if you can resell it on the open market. Now, I'm sure the resale value isn't as high as the iPad, but it shouldn't be bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Filjosh View Post
    You don't need it, I ordered mine 30 mins before at tampa, fl store. they had two different printouts one for 16 and one for 32. It was quick, just took 5 mins. I asked him when can I come to pick up, "Anytime after 9AM as time permits".

But no idea about touchstone and case.
    Yep, I had pretty much the same results. I mentioned the SKUs (and why), and the sales rep told me to just tell people to tell the BB rep to look it up on the wiki that only employees can access.

I'm all set for 9am Saturday.
    Doesn't BBY open at 10am? At least it does here in SoFla.
    It opens at 10am here in Indiana as well. I plan on being there at 9:55, walking in, picking up my TouchPad (and hopefully accessories) and being out of the store no later then 10:10.
    Quote Originally Posted by rburtz View Post
    It opens at 10am here in Indiana as well. I plan on being there at 9:55, walking in, picking up my TouchPad (and hopefully accessories) and being out of the store no later then 10:10.
    Where in indiana are you, if you don't mind me asking. I'm also in indiana, was wondering if you've been to any of the stores that actually has TouchPad displays or anything of that nature.

I've not run into anything. :-/

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Love
    I'm on the west side of Indianapolis. I haven't seen anything, but that is not surprising based on the quality of the Best Buy out here.
    I'm on the south side of Indy and they have the kiosk with Veers and cardboard Touchpad line cards up, but then it took me 20min to train the blue shirts on how to do a preorder.
    As I was walking the sales associate through the process the Dept manager said definitively that they did not do hardware preorders I almost came unglued, but just looked him and said "your wrong" at the exact moment the preorder instructions popped up on the screen.
    He then stuttered and proclaimed how "in ten years of working here they had never done hardware preorders". I won't go on the whole rant, but suffice it to say in 20min and 6 employees of this debacle only one person had the good sense to apologize for their ineptitude.
    My experience was pretty much the same, but I had 2 visits to the Avon BB along with bringing the pre-order procedure with me the second time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Doesn't BBY open at 10am? At least it does here in SoFla.
    I'm glad you said that.

I asked their hours at the store near my house (Hust, TX, the Ft Worth side of Dallas/Ft Worth); specifically asking their hours on Saturday. He said 10am Weekdays, but 9am on Saturdays.

Somehow, I had it in my head that the 1 fell on Saturday.

Thanks, now I'm one day closer
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    I'll be the contrarian who does not buy on launch day. It's not that I don't want one, I just want to make sure there are no surprises.
    Same here........... but i'll race ya to the north attleboro MA store for one after everyone tells us its awesome :P hahaha jkjk
    Quote Originally Posted by rburtz View Post
    My experience was pretty much the same, but I had 2 visits to the Avon BB along with bringing the pre-order procedure with me the second time.
    Did they have an issue getting the 32GB preorder SKU to work correctly?

When they rang mine up it asked for a serial # and this confused them even more. When they tried the 16GB no such problem.

Made me wonder if they had already received the stock for the 32GB, thus the flag to enter a S/N.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaverde View Post
    Did they have an issue getting the 32GB preorder SKU to work correctly?

When they rang mine up it asked for a serial # and this confused them even more. When they tried the 16GB no such problem.

Made me wonder if they had already received the stock for the 32GB, thus the flag to enter a S/N.
    They had the same issue when they ordered mine. The manager shrugged and had them enter all 0's.
    They had no problem with the 32GB here, they looked it up "touchpad" in the system and then asked "16 or 32". That was the extent of the conversation.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Ordered mine today. Guy said I was the second pre-order. He wasn't sure of the procedure but looked it up and figured it out within 10 minutes. Simple process. He was 99% sure it would be there at open of business 7/1 but will call me if not.
    After telling them that I could... Someone finally did research and found the process. But she told me to keep my reservation ticket as they have the info in their computer... Yay! July 1 .... Here we come!

Guess I will be working from Home!

Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Oh Arundel Mills Best Buy in Md

Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Just stopped by my local Syracuse, NY best buy today, Pre ordered the 16GB TP by the common buying a $50 gift card to reserve it, I asked the guy if he could check to see whether or not they'd have them in the store for July 1st and he said they had 12 TP 16GB units in transit and 10 TP 32GB units in transit! He said they would call me June 30th if not before to tell me that they had mine in store ready for pick up July 1st! STOKED!
    It took 5 people. The first one after dissappering for a while came back and said it had to be ordered on line. I had printed out this entire thread. I said there is an employee wiki that explains the process, you need to look up the preorder SKU. At that point he said if our store has elected to not participate... Then someone else stepped in, checked with the manager of the PC section who reffered her to customer service, finally I would up in the cell phone area. They ran into the serial number issue too, I suggested all zeros, the rep at the next station looked a bit surpried and agreed.

So, I'm the first pre order at my store, they said that pretty much gurarantees me one on 7/1. So I'm happy! I also had plenty of time to bring up the HP TouchPad web site on both iPads
    I guess my local BB is on the ball. The three-sided HP display is front and center in the tablet area. At the front, Veers and cardboard TP. Left side Veers, right side two cardboard TPs and, wait for it, a copy of the Reservation Ticket (16 GB) .

I didn't ask about reserving one simply because I don't think they'll be a run on TPs in this area. Plus, a Staples and Wal-Mart are closer to me anyway.
    Went to my local (new, just opened a month or two ago) BB to preorder.

They had a tiny, tiny endcap for it, with a really small display. Didn't wander around the store too long, since I saw the HP rep near the laptops speaking with some employees. I wanted to speak to him.

A BB employee asked me if I needed anything, told him I wanted to preorder the TouchPad and he immediately went back behind some wall. A couple others came by, asked if I needed any help, then they went back to help the guy. Someone else asked me if I needed help, who happened to be with the HP rep. I started to talk to the rep and I should have mentioned to him right away that I knew about this thing since the day it was announced, as he started to go in to all of the features. He said the store had one TouchPad in stock (doesn't make any sense since he asked if I wanted the 16 or 32), but they couldn't sell it until Friday.

Finally I showed him my aging Palm Pre. I asked him about any new devices on Sprint because I didn't want to pay premiums on VZW or ATT and he got VERY hesitant to tell me anything. It was because he either: A) Didn't want to disappoint me. Or B) Knew something he wanted to tell me but couldn't. Took him a minute and finally he said he didn't have that info at the time. No biggie. He then told me that he was telling a BB employee they were having a training session on Tuesday for retail employees in the area. He said he would know more about phones after the launch of the TouchPad. To me, this sounds like a totally voluntary thing that you can go to if you want, the rep is just inviting people. I hope each store makes at least ONE employee go.

Anyway, a different guy came back about the preorder and told me that "they typically have SKUs for this kind of stuff but they couldn't find anything." He also said he didn't expect them to start flying out the door (trust me, neither do I, buddy), but that he would hold one, and take down my name and number. They were basically clueless on the whole process and I think the rep wasn't any help instructing employees on anything. I said that was fine, as I'll probably be there when they open on Friday anyway. Need to take a chill day off work for once.

Anyway, kind of wanted the excitement of buying the gift card and all that crap. But I'm fine. I got a ticket for expired plates (who does that?) on my way to reserve mine, so it was a nice pick-me-up to have the excitement of knowing that it's less than a week until that bad boy is in my hands.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast