Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dajlol77 View Post
    My Advise? Don't get the buy back protection....Read:

Best Buy's "Buy Back" Program Isn't Exactly A Great Deal - The Consumerist
    Thanks for the info! I agree that I would never buy this for a big ticket HDTV: who gets a new one of those every year? However, my thoughts are that unlike a huge investment like on a HDTVand that buy back plan, opting to pay the cost of the tablet and buyback plan are significantly different due the the much lower price and the "speed" of releasing new devices. First, the cost of the plan is based on the cost of the device: $499 buyback insurance will cost me $49.99. I am convinced that in the tablet world - like it is in the smartphone world - a newer and better piece of hardware is around the corner, to be released "in the coming months". Since I will have the first version, I want to be able to justify getting the next version, presumably once hp releases it in the next 6-12 months. If I keep my 10 year old daughter from wrecking it, I could get between $199 - $249 toward the TouchPad Pro. I have kept my Pre Minus for two years, but I can't imagine hp is going to be so slow at upgrading its hardware like cash-strapped Palm was. If HP doesn't come out with a next generation in the next 12 months.... All I can say would be, yipes!

The buyback is worth it, I think. Plus, I'm getting my other insurance through Square Trade for half of what hp and Best Buy charge, so that money is being applied toward the buy back plan.
    Last edited by popologuy; 06/22/2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: update
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Quote Originally Posted by popologuy View Post
    First, the cost of the plan is based on the cost of the device: $499 buyback insurance will cost me $49.99. .
    Check the BB preorder page. When you put the preorder in the cart it comes up with a buyback special on tablets for $25. At that price I may bite.
    I am convinced that in the tablet world - like it is in the smartphone world - a newer and better piece of hardware is around the corner, to be released "in the coming months". Since I will have the first version, I want to be able to justify getting the next version, presumably once hp releases it in the next 6-12 months. If I keep my 10 year old daughter from wrecking it, I could get between $199 - $249 toward the TouchPad Pro.
    "The coming months" will probably be along Apple's idea of once a year, I would imagine. Unless HP is really going to go all out, which would be crazy. However, I'd rather take my chances on the open marker and see if I can get $200-300 by selling it, rather than paying Best Buy money for them to buy it back from me. I guess we don't know what the resale on these things will be, but if I can't sell mine next summer to go to the new one, it will become an expensive HTPC remote/perma-couch device. I'm sure I'll find some use for it once the apps begin to expand, if I can't sell it. I could always give it to a relative (easy way to dump off old things).

After reading that article though, I just don't care for the fact that you have to pay them "for a service you may never use", as the author puts it.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    After reading that article though, I just don't care for the fact that you have to pay them "for a service you may never use", as the author puts it.
    Then, you've never been married.
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    /em forwards to popo's wife...
    I see pandas.
    I went to Best Buy today and pre-ordered mine. There was no hassle at all, though the lady didn't seem to care one way or another whether I bought anything. It was a quick process. I paid the $50 and got the gift card and the reserve slip thing. Only took about 3 minutes, maybe less.

The biggest thing that ticked me off though was as I was walking off I overhead the lady say something along the lines of "Yeah, he wanted some new Windows tablet." I almost turned around right there and corrected her, but I was darn near out the door, and her demeanor during our interaction implied to me that she wouldn't care at all and I would just be bothering her with "trivial" information.
    Touché!
    Just pre-ordered mine today. Was trying to hold off, but didn't want to be sans-TouchPad on launch day while the rest of you bragged.

The Best Buy on Newbury St. in Boston provided a pleasant experience. One of the two guys at the desk in the BBY Mobile section was a manager of some sort, and he and his co-worker took care of me in about 10 minutes. I was obviously their first pre-orderer, because they were looking up a lot of SKUs and procedures in a sort of internal Wiki, but they were congenial and talkative the whole way through. We talked a bit about the Veer (not selling much) and the copycat nature of the Playbook (also not selling much).

When I left, the manager said "see you on the first! Hope the product gets here!" He was good-natured about it and I laughed along, but I wondered why he would doubt that HP would have these delivered in time. Maybe he was remembering the HP Slate 500 delays or something.

Stopped by the tablet section upstairs and saw the HP island display, with its cardboard TP and demo Veers (one white live phone, one black dummy). The live Veer wasn't charged and half the display was being used to hold disused brochures and a broken monitor. Guess Best Buy isn't paying much attention to housekeeping on the HP display until there's a TouchPad on it.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Just went to my local Best Buy in the BIG D this evening, but the manager told me they are no longer allowing pre-orders for tablets as they are not sure how many that particular store will have available for July 1st.
    I walked into my local Best Buy and spotted the Xoom display on a front and center end cap immediately upon entering the store. Tablets are primarily with laptops, and as I walked over, I had to walk past the Xoom display, and the playbook display before seeing the TouchPad kiosk. It had one functional (white) and one dummy (black) Veer on display, and a picture of where the TouchPad was supposed to go.

After a few minutes of playing with the Veer (wow it was snappy and usable, much more so than I expected), I was approached by one of the floor managers. She didn't know almost anything about the TouchPad, but thought it launched some time in mid July. She didn't know it was available for pre-order, but once informed, she went to hunt down somebody for me. Eventually, she found some associate who was supposed to be in the know. He said they don't have any TouchPads, even for internal use or to be played with by associates. He said the TouchPad "isn't launching for quite a while." He also said their training was supposed to happen on June 28th.

Side note, the Playbook was nicer than I expected, and the Xoom has been marked down to $599 for the wifi 32GB version. The Xoom was fast, it looked great, Honeycomb was pretty intuitive, and you can get a full version of Quick Office and it has HDMI out.

The TouchPad has some SERIOUS work cut out for it.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I just did this at the Fiesta Mall BB in Mesa AZ. I spent 20 minutes at the service desk only to end up being directed to the computer guy Dan (seemed like a nice guy, handled me quickly). He had a stack of what looked like an inch of reserve notes for the TouchPad. The service desk had no idea what I was talking about when I said "Pre-order for an In Store Pickup."

Here's hoping I am near the top of the stack.

I'll be hitting my local walmart the night/morning of release (I promise to cancel my in store pickup if I do) to try and pick it up. I'll get the accessories the next day at BB regardless (got to get my reward points).
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    ...I'll get the accessories the next day at BB regardless (got to get my reward points).
    I think that's probably not going to happen. Neither the case nor the TouchStone are supposed to be available at launch from what I've seen.
    Yep, Amazon just emailed me last night saying the case is due July 15th.
    Sounds like we better get the protection plans if we have 2 weeks of playing with the TouchPad before we can get a protective case on it.
    What is the BestBuy return policy for the preorders?

For the case, you might be able to get away with an ipad case I would imagine
    Can someone post the BestBuy SKU for pre-ordering the 32gb version (the OP was for the 16gb version)?
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I think that's probably not going to happen. Neither the case nor the TouchStone are supposed to be available at launch from what I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Yep, Amazon just emailed me last night saying the case is due July 15th.
    Ah thanks for the info.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Can someone post the BestBuy SKU for pre-ordering the 32gb version (the OP was for the 16gb version)?
    You don't need it, I ordered mine 30 mins before at tampa, fl store. they had two different printouts one for 16 and one for 32. It was quick, just took 5 mins. I asked him when can I come to pick up, "Anytime after 9AM as time permits".

But no idea about touchstone and case.
    I thought I would post the details for pre-ordering at Best Buy for store pick-up on 7/1/11:

First, of the three stores I went to NOBODY knew what I was talking about, inlcuding the store managers at two of the stores, one of which a forum member had already pre-ordered at the day before!

I went to the Pasadena, CA store and was directed to the In Store Pickup Dept by the computer guys. The guy in In Store pickup and his manager took the instructions I had from the forums, tweaked them and got me my Reservation Ticket in 15 minutes. Here's what they did:

Log on
    Put in HP touchpad
    Put in the Pre-sale sku 2490126 (the regular sku for touchpad does not bring up the pre-sale documents)
    They took my contact information and phone number
    I paid $50 and received a gift card and a receipt that says: Touchpad 16GB Presale in all caps
    I asked for and got a copy of the reservation ticket. It says it is valid between 6/19/2011 - 07/01/2011.

I was told that once they get their touchpads, they will call me to come pick it up, apply the gift card and buy any accessories.

Iplan to get the Buy Back protection, but I am getting warranty and replacement insurance from SquareTrade.com - $99 for two years of repairs and replacement due to damage insurance.
    So you are willing to pay BestBuy $69.99 (to join the BuyBack Program) for them to give you 50% of the value of your Touchpad ($250) in 6 months time, when you can clearly sell the Touchpad for definitely more than that in 6 months time?

For those not familiar with the BestBuy Buyback Program, go here Buy Back Program

Take it from a former blue shirt, not worth it. I just recently sold my 1st gen iPad 32GB 3G and got $450 for it. Going by the BuyBack timeframe, BBY would only give me ~$252, and the terms and conditions state the product has to be in good, working condition.

It's really only worth it on cell phones when subsidized on contract. Why? The BuyBack goes to the retail value of the handset (in BBY's system), not the contract price you pay.
    Last edited by Merovingian; 06/23/2011 at 07:59 PM.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    I'll be the contrarian who does not buy on launch day. It's not that I don't want one, I just want to make sure there are no surprises.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast