View Poll Results: Have you recieved a Touchpad for developing yet, or are you waiting for one soon?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have one. D

1 1.85%
  • By the end of the week.

1 1.85%
  • Sometime soon..

9 16.67%
  • Why am I not a developer?

43 79.63%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I'm pretty sure abegee is referring to me, so I'll answer these questions.
    didn't want to drag you into this, and unfortunately your not the only developer with similar issues.

In the meantime, I've decided to convert my Quick Post app to Android using a Javascript-based SDK called Titanium. I'm doing it as an experiment to see what it's like to develop on another platform. It's been an interesting learning experience.
    Please if you have Mac OSx use titanium to develop for IOS first and then convert it to Android, trust me you will save yourself HOURS of frustration!!!! Titanium for Android is the WORST, you think Mojo documentation was bad...ugh
    So it's not about HP dropping support for a dead framework (Mojo). I'm in complete support of them moving to Enyo. What I'm referring to is HP dropping support for users and developers of their current generation devices. All the issues listed above affect webOS 2.x users and developers who are entitled to receive support from HP.
    But when the CEO of the company says that their highest priority is to make the TouchPad "perfect", guess what everyone and their pet dog in that business unit is going to be working on. It's not going to be old bugs. It's not that much different compared to the other corporations I've been in. When someone several pay grades above you says ignore everything and work on project XYZ, that's what you do. It sucks for the people wanting something fixed, but you just try to get back to them when you can.

The current situation with webOS development is so similar to a project that I'm on it's scary.
    Last edited by hrminer92; 06/23/2011 at 03:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    But when the CEO of the company says that their highest priority is to make the TouchPad "perfect", guess what everyone and their pet dog in that business unit is going to be working on. It's not going to be old bugs. It's not that much different compared to the other corporations I've been in. When someone several pay grades above you says ignore everything and work on project XYZ, that's what you do. It sucks for the people wanting something fixed, but you just try to get back to them when you can.

The current situation with webOS development is so similar to a project that I'm on it's scary.
    I agree that the directive is probably coming from the highest levels and they have to follow their instructions. But this is exactly why I can't dedicate time into Enyo development. If their upper management is telling them now not to support their current gen platform while working on next-gen stuff, then they will probably do it again.

Let's say I put months into Music Player (Remix) for the TouchPad and then encounter similar issues. What if they're now 100% focused on getting webOS 3.0 working on phones? They may again abandon support of their current platform (TouchPad).

Abandoning support of their current platform (phones) is the wrong decision. The HP CEO should be providing the Palm business unit enough resources to develop the TouchPad and support their current customers.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I am actually interested in getting started with App Development. Can some one point me in the right direction? Where would be a good place to start?
    So which developers here have their Touchpad besides Rod?
    de_great, go to developer.palm.com.
    I agree that the directive is probably coming from the highest levels and they have to follow their instructions. But this is exactly why I can't dedicate time into Enyo development. If their upper management is telling them now not to support their current gen platform while working on next-gen stuff, then they will probably do it again.

Let's say I put months into Music Player (Remix) for the TouchPad and then encounter similar issues. What if they're now 100% focused on getting webOS 3.0 working on phones? They may again abandon support of their current platform (TouchPad).

Abandoning support of their current platform (phones) is the wrong decision. The HP CEO should be providing the Palm business unit enough resources to develop the TouchPad and support their current customers.

man that situation does suck, but i wouldn't count on it happening again. It appears that Enyo will be the framework of choice from here on out.

When they announced Enyo, I figured that 2.x was going to be a more or less a temporary OS that will finish the transition from the old Palm to HP. Sure they should have more people to support 2.x, but only the people in that business unit know the human resource conditions. For all we know they may be trying to hire as many people as they can. The best thing about Office Space was adopting the "don't give a damn" attitude, especially about things that you have absolutely no control over like this. It's a huge stress reliever. Adapt, don't take things personally, route ways around the road blocks, and move on. One can only go by what has been announced for a roadmap, so there's no use worrying about what may be in the future. By choosing to not develop enyo apps now, you're just ensuring that all the people who have pre-ordered TouchPads are going to be buying from other developers. But that's your decision. Do you want to be a big fish in a little pond, or a little fish in a bigger pond fighting for the leftovers? It's always a crapshoot because one doesn't know if the 'little pond' is going to take off and expand. If it does, it's good to be a big fish when it starts to grow.

In the end, one has to respect others' decisions for what to do with their time. I hope you do well on Android.
    I feel for DanPLC cause he has been after HP for months and music player remix is bad <<mod delete>>, but I tend to agree with hrminer92 (most likely because my paycheck does not depend on HP's Fickle ways). That being said I am feeling like tablets are a fad and HP needs to concentrate on phones. I feel like they are taking a tablet focused approach because of their laptop/desktop background, but at the end of the day if you said choose between your phone and a tablet I would choose a phone and if you said choose between your laptop and a tablet I would choose a laptop.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/23/2011 at 12:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    man that situation does suck, but i wouldn't count on it happening again. It appears that Enyo will be the framework of choice from here on out.
    Enyo may be the framework of choice, but do you really think they won't have any more major revisions of webOS? The next thing they'll be working on is getting Enyo on phones. That isn't a small feat. And what about webOS on PCs? That's obviously a major priority with them and again it won't be an easy task. And after that I'm sure they'll start working on their next-generation platform (webOS 4.0).

So why wouldn't I believe this would happen again? HP/Palm has never demonstrated the ability to support their current platform while working on their next-gen platform. They failed with the 1.x->2.x transition and again with the 2.x->3.x transition.

I hope they get their <<act>> straight soon because for the past year it's felt like they are continuously playing catch-up (from a development point of view). They announced the TouchPad 6 months ago and have been working feverishly to get webOS 3.0 ready. Until they catch up and have some breathing room, I don't feel they'll be able to properly support the users and developers with issues.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/23/2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: language
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I feel for DanPLC cause he has been after HP for months and music player remix is bad ***, but I tend to agree with hrminer92 (most likely because my paycheck does not depend on HP's Fickle ways). That being said I am feeling like tablets are a fad and HP needs to concentrate on phones. I feel like they are taking a tablet focused approach because of their laptop/desktop background, but at the end of the day if you said choose between your phone and a tablet I would choose a phone and if you said choose between your laptop and a tablet I would choose a laptop.
    I also get the impression that they're focusing more on tablets and PCs than one phones. The very soft Veer launch is an example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    By choosing to not develop enyo apps now, you're just ensuring that all the people who have pre-ordered TouchPads are going to be buying from other developers. But that's your decision. Do you want to be a big fish in a little pond, or a little fish in a bigger pond fighting for the leftovers? It's always a crapshoot because one doesn't know if the 'little pond' is going to take off and expand. If it does, it's good to be a big fish when it starts to grow.

In the end, one has to respect others' decisions for what to do with their time. I hope you do well on Android.
    It is quite the dilemma and a decision I didn't make lightly. I've been perfectly happy for the past 2 years developing in a "little pond". The smaller userbase has resulted in a more tightly-knit community which I've really enjoyed. And I've received a lot of support from the community over the past 2 years which I really appreciate. This is not something I would ever get in Android or iOS.

However for the past few months I've been dealing with a ton (I mean a TON) of support emails all dealing with these webOS issues that I have no control over. It's gotten really tiring having to answer emails that say, "why does your app no longer work", "why can't I update or download your app even though I purchased it", or "I really love your app and would like to purchase it but it's not showing up in the catalog". It's because of the non-stop flood of these types of emails that I finally decided to halt development of Music Player (Remix) for the TouchPad.

I've come to realize that HP will probably never fix most of these issues. I'm sure one day they'll finally fix the media permissions bug since this would also affect their webOS 3.0 customers. But the other issues were probably not bugs at all (even though HP says they are). I'm guessing they're side effects of changes in the app portal in preparation for webOS 3.0. They just haven't fessed up to it yet.

And just to be clear, I'm not necessarily moving to Android development. I'm just porting one app as an experiment. I'd really prefer to stay with webOS. I feel attached to the platform and the community. But if my Quick Post Android experiment goes well and HP still hasn't fixed the pending issues, then I may need to make a really tough decision.

Remember people, you should not post anything about your developer agreement that is under the NDA. This includes whether you a getting a TouchPad or when.
    Enyo may be the framework of choice, but do you really think they won't have any more major revisions of webOS? The next thing they'll be working on is getting Enyo on phones. That isn't a small feat. And what about webOS on PCs? That's obviously a major priority with them and again it won't be an easy task. And after that I'm sure they'll start working on their next-generation platform (webOS 4.0).

So why wouldn't I believe this would happen again? HP/Palm has never demonstrated the ability to support their current platform while working on their next-gen platform. They failed with the 1.x->2.x transition and again with the 2.x->3.x transition.

I hope they get their <<act>> straight soon because for the past year it's felt like they are continuously playing catch-up (from a development point of view). They announced the TouchPad 6 months ago and have been working feverishly to get webOS 3.0 ready. Until they catch up and have some breathing room, I don't feel they'll be able to properly support the users and developers with issues.
    Ofcourse they will continue to make changes to and improve the OS, but I sincerely doubt it will ever be as dramatic as the change from 2.x to 3.x. Asking developers "to forget" and entire framework and "relearn" how to make webOS apps isn't a decision they would make if they didn't plan on this being THE long-term plan.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Enyo as a development platform for me at least was easier than my adventures with mojo. As for where my loyalty with HP stands right now, I would say they need to have a broader spread of where enyo is right now. Fragmentation is what is going to kill WebOS if it gets to be too bad. Enyo has a bright future, and can easily be adapted to the Pre 2/3 and Veer. They need to focus on every aspect of what they are marketing and not just the touchpad.
    Last edited by bubby323; 06/23/2011 at 03:04 PM.

A few weeks later he emailed back asking for a status and I told him I was halting Enyo development because of these issues. He said he'd investigate them for me and get back with me...guess who I've never heard from since?
    Maybe he didn't get back to you since you told him you were halting development. I wouldn't waste my time if my job was contacting developers, and one told me they stopped developing.

I've have nothing but praise for the development team even though I only started a month ago with Enyo and webOS.
    Last edited by BillOrly; 06/23/2011 at 03:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillOrly View Post
    Maybe he didn't get back to you since you told him you were halting development. I wouldn't waste my time if my job was contacting developers who told me they stopped developing.
    That's a good point. They are swamped with people working on actual development and in my experience they are only worried about helping you get your app submitted and not working with you on your problems and bugs. That's just the way it is. Maybe it's not the right way to go about everything but that seems to be how they are handling it. You can't take it to heart that they aren't returning your emails if you aren't keeping them interested in wanting to work with you. They love screenshots, and ipks. /end
    Maybe he didn't get back to you since you told him you were halting development. I wouldn't waste my time if my job was contacting developers, and one told me they stopped developing.
    I never asked him to help me investigate my issues. He offered the help *after* I told him I was halting development of my app due to the pending issues. He then never wrote me back. And there have been 3 other HP dev relations folks that have wrote me about the media permission bug saying they would help me get their "media permissions reset" app pushed into the catalog and I haven't heard back from any of them in quite some time.

I've have nothing but praise for the development team even though I only started a month ago with Enyo and webOS.
    The bolded portion above is why you have nothing but praise for them. When you have to field multiple emails per day for months concerning a webOS bug that breaks your app (and all other music apps) and you field emails/tweets/msgs from people who bought your app but can't download or update it due to an HP app portal bug, or you field questions (like this one I just received a few minutes ago: https://twitter.com/#!/jerryp99uk/st...93953464090624) from people wanting to buy your app but can't due to another HP app portal bug, then you may not have such a rosy impression of the HP team.

They're great until a real issue occurs that requires support from their engineering team. That's when they fail because their engineering team will always have something more important to work on.

No, that's the worst thing someone working in developer relations could do. The correct response would have been "what can I do to resolve your issues?"
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast