View Poll Results: Have you recieved a Touchpad for developing yet, or are you waiting for one soon?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have one. D

1 1.85%
  • By the end of the week.

1 1.85%
  • Sometime soon..

9 16.67%
  • Why am I not a developer?

43 79.63%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockett0 View Post
    I'd love to get in on the developer deals, I suppose you need developer skills.
    That might be.
    I am just getting into development and I actually don't even have a dev account yet. Can any of you tell me how big of a difference it will be between the very basics of learning Mojo vs learn Enyo? I would like to start learning Enyo if learning Mojo will do nothing but confuse me later. I need to get ready for that Dev event in a month, at least to the point were I can make a simple Hello World app in Enyo

As for getting a TouchPad, I don't think HP knows I exist yet as I don't quite know how to develop just yet. I am working on an app that I think all you would love to use. *hint *hint search Orb on google
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I am just getting into development and I actually don't even have a dev account yet. Can any of you tell me how big of a difference it will be between the very basics of learning Mojo vs learn Enyo? I would like to start learning Enyo if learning Mojo will do nothing but confuse me later. I need to get ready for that Dev event in a month, at least to the point were I can make a simple Hello World app in Enyo

As for getting a TouchPad, I don't think HP knows I exist yet as I don't quite know how to develop just yet. I am working on an app that I think all you would love to use. *hint *hint search Orb on google
    Enyo and Mojo are completely different. Enyo is much more straight forward. Sign up at https://developer.palm.com/ (they are fairly free with their approvals), agree to the NDA, download the 3.0 SDK and see for yourself.
    I think that Enyo is more straightforward is debatable. Mojo is more like traditional web app development, while Enyo is more like Ares (WYSIWYG). For people already in web, Mojo is more approachable IMO, especially if you have any experience with the Prototype library.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ...however, nobody should start learning mojo NOW, as it is essentially dead.
    Enyo is the only way to go.

Additionally, some people said, that they were a litte bit confused and had to rethink lots of things while converting from mojo to enyo. So don't confuse yourself, but just start developing for enyo.
    I know programming languages, but not web based. So I was learning Mojo when Enyo was announced. I did have to unlearn Mojo. New developers should DEFINITELY go straight to Enyo.
    "Be excellent to each other!" -Bill & Ted
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    I just got an email from a dev, who is porting his app from mojo to ANDROID, and doesn't want to port it to enyo, the reason: " he's lost trust in HP/Palm dev releations.
    So what lost his trust?

HP deciding that upgrading the legacy devices to 2.x was too cumbersome for the average user?

HP didn't give the dev early access to the 3.x SDK?

HP isn't actively supporting a dead framework while they're swamped with trying to get 3.0 to ship?

Porting stuff to Android is fine, but not going to enyo is just shooting themselves in the foot with respect to webOS.
    How long is HP accepting new applications for developer TouchPads. I just got access, am I too late?
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    So what lost his trust?

HP deciding that upgrading the legacy devices to 2.x was too cumbersome for the average user?

HP isn't actively supporting a dead framework while they're swamped with trying to get 3.0 to ship?

Porting stuff to Android is fine, but not going to enyo is just shooting themselves in the foot with respect to webOS.
    HP ignoring emails.

if a dev can't get his issues worked on he/she can't support webOS. I cannot talk for the other dev, but here is one of my reasons.

example 1.

I asked for removal of an application since HP stubbornly refuses to allow me to update the application, I cannot support an application I cannot update, I think you can understand that. However HP has ignored my emails and is not removing the application.

I understand that to YOU this doesn't seem like a big deal, but how can I continue selling an app and take your money when I cannot update the app.

other devs have had similar issues and can no longer put their apps in the catalog.
    since I don't want to do this in the future I cannot make more apps for ENYO webOS 3.0, if I cannot TRUST HP to be decent to me and ethical to the end users.
    For whatever it is worth I have always had great contact with the dev team but I have not submitted any apps yet. I have normally just been working through ARES (which is a great tool).
    HP ignoring emails.

if a dev can't get his issues worked on he/she can't support webOS. I cannot talk for the other dev, but here is one of my reasons.

example 1.

I asked for removal of an application since HP stubbornly refuses to allow me to update the application, I cannot support an application I cannot update, I think you can understand that. However HP has ignored my emails and is not removing the application.

I understand that to YOU this doesn't seem like a big deal, but how can I continue selling an app and take your money when I cannot update the app.

other devs have had similar issues and can no longer put their apps in the catalog.
    since I don't want to do this in the future I cannot make more apps for ENYO webOS 3.0, if I cannot TRUST HP to be decent to me and ethical to the end users.
    No response at all? Why won't they let you update it?
    the automatic scanner noticed an API I was using and flagged it, the API has been in the app for over a year and it's been doing fine, but they decided to put their foot down, I don't like it but it's OK IF they let me remove the application, but that's where they stopped answering mt emails.
    They won't let you remove the offending API call and resubmit the app with a different name?

It almost sounds as if you got put on someone's "bad boy" or spam list.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubby323 View Post
    You have to give them the benefit of the doubt, if your working on a mojo app, then apply for a developer Pre 2, or request access to the 3.0 beta sdk and learn Enyo, it's easier.
    i guess this makes sense... why give a touchpads to folks who arent developing apps that will be future proof on the touchpad....
    They won't let you remove the offending API call and resubmit the app with a different name?

It almost sounds as if you got put on someone's "bad boy" or spam list.
    oh they let me remove the API, but that kills the app.

as for "bad boy" I just contacted them yesterday re. The touchPad and was answered instantly.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I contacted Christopher today to check in and see if my Touchpad was on it's way, he is telling me it was picked up in there batch to be shipped today. I also asked for a tracking number, but that takes some time to get [hopefully by the end of the day]. Lastly, he doesn't seem to think it will be overnight shipping, we'll see, my Pre 2 was.
    Oh man, I need to get to work on a Touchpad app and get in on the free Touchpad deal. I've experienced my share of frustrations with HP on Mojo but I can't pass up the opportunity for a free app.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    HP is working with the newer developers, developers that have ben around for the last 2 years are getting ignored and treated like dirt, example is the dev of remix, getting treated like a 3rd rate developer.

I have totally givin up on HP WebOS as a developer platform. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP will get treated the same way a few months from now.

Abe
    Nonsense. I'm a Pre-launch-day developer and I get treated first class by HP. My apps are ready to rock the TouchPad. Doing some final polishing before launch.

If you don't get answers, keep trying. They're probably completely swamped with email from both legitimate developers and people who are just looking for free stuff.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Nonsense. I'm a Pre-launch-day developer and I get treated first class by HP. My apps are ready to rock the TouchPad. Doing some final polishing before launch.

If you don't get answers, keep trying. They're probably completely swamped with email from both legitimate developers and people who are just looking for free stuff.
    my point is mainly in regards to isues with mojo, and that HP is basically leaving mojo issues behind without any support, call it nonesense but I'm not the only one saying so.
    So what lost his trust?

I'm pretty sure abegee is referring to me, so I'll answer these questions.

I've been fighting to get several serious issues addressed that are affecting webOS 2.x users and developers and have been getting nothing but the runaround. I've been in contact with many different HP dev relations folks and all of them tell me they're going to investigate and get back with me, and none of them ever do.

These issues include:

- Media permission bug that causes all 3rd party music apps to stop working: Have been dealing with this issue for almost 5 months and have had dozens and dozens of support emails from people asking me why my app (Music Player Remix) has stopped working. A couple months ago Ben from HP developed a "media permissions reset" app which I tested for him. He was supposed to release it into the catalog, but that still has not happened. A few weeks ago Gray Norton at HP said he'd be working to get the app submitted and would get back with me. I haven't heard from him since (after sending several follow-up emails).

- People running webOS 2.0.1 can no longer see my app (Music Player Remix) in the catalog. This includes people who paid for my app and potential customers (you know like all Verizon Pre 2 owners). HP has confirmed this is a bug, but almost 2 months later it still hasn't been fixed. In the meantime I've been getting tons of emails from existing customers and people wanting to buy my app asking me why they can't find it in the catalog.

- People running 2.1 on doctored devices can no longer see my app (Music Player Remix). This includes people who paid for my app and includes people running official 2.1 doctors (such as O2 customers). This issue affects all 2.x apps that have recently been updated. Again HP confirmed this was a bug a month ago but still hasn't fixed it.

- Download stats have been wrong for months. This affects all developers. Chuq just posted an update today saying it's still being worked on. In the meantime, developers have no guarantees that their download totals are accurate.

So it's not about HP dropping support for a dead framework (Mojo). I'm in complete support of them moving to Enyo. What I'm referring to is HP dropping support for users and developers of their current generation devices. All the issues listed above affect webOS 2.x users and developers who are entitled to receive support from HP.

This is why I've decided to hold off on working on an Enyo project, which would have been Music Player (Remix) for the TouchPad. I can't dedicate the amount of time necessary to convert Music Player (Remix) to Enyo when I see how HP is abandoning their current-gen users and developers. How do I know they'll support me and my users in the future when other issues arise? Once the TouchPad and webOS 3.0 is released, you think their next-gen development will stop there? The next big thing will be webOS 3.x on phones. After that, they'll work on webOS 4.0. And the cycle will continue.

If these issues ever get resolved (which at this point I'm highly doubtful), then I'll re-evaluate that decision. In the meantime, I've decided to convert my Quick Post app to Android using a Javascript-based SDK called Titanium. I'm doing it as an experiment to see what it's like to develop on another platform. It's been an interesting learning experience.

P.S. In reference to the actual topic of this thread, an HP dev relations rep (Adam) contacted me asking me about Music Player (Remix) for the TouchPad and offered to send me a loaner device if I needed it. I told him I was going to be starting development soon (this was before my decision to halt Enyo development due to these issues). A few weeks later he emailed back asking for a status and I told him I was halting Enyo development because of these issues. He said he'd investigate them for me and get back with me...guess who I've never heard from since?
    Last edited by DanPLC; 06/22/2011 at 10:17 PM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast