Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just took another look at HP's technical specs page for the Touchpad and noticed that it says that it only has an 18 bit screen. Is this correct? If so, why 18 and not 24 bit? Seems like HP might be nickle & diming us. 18 bit is OK on the Veer, but on the flagship device?
    Bit depth has to do with the pallette of colors available.

24 bit = 16 million color pallette

18 bit = 64,000 color pallette

I think someone should contact HP to see if this is a typo or, in fact correct.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

its correct, but they are giving us 24 bit audio
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    nah, i think its 24-bit the veer is 18-bit. i think even pre3 is 24....
    if it really turns out to be 18-bit things will look very weird.... its gotta be a typo
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    nah, i think its 24-bit the veer is 18-bit. i think even pre3 is 24....
    if it really turns out to be 18-bit things will look very weird.... its gotta be a typo
    That would be my assumption, too, but, you know what they say about "assuming"

Yes, the Pre 3 is spec'ed at 24 bit as well.

Here's the problem with a smaller pallettte: you'll see banding in the gradient (areas where the colors change from one to another) - it won't be smooth.

Now, from the videos we have seen, ESPECIALLY on those 3D games, where the colors are likely to require a huge pallette to pick from, I've never seen even a hint of banding... and, believe me, it would be quite obvious.

So, my guess is that it is a typo, but, it should definitely be verified as such, and corrected asap, if it is.

That's a significant display inferiority, and if this is picked up by a reviewing critic, well, lets just say it won't be good for his/her review.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

yes, typo. It was supposed to say 18 BYTE display.

(that's 144 bits...)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

you're a little off on 18 bit

18 bit is 2^18 = 262,144 colors.

there wont be a dramatic difference in colors in the end (wont be noticeable to 95% of people). but, fewer colors allows faster refresh rates.

id much rather a smoother display over a few extra colors that arent used often.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    you're a little off on 18 bit

18 bit is 2^18 = 262,144 colors.

there wont be a dramatic difference in colors in the end (wont be noticeable to 95% of people). but, fewer colors allows faster refresh rates.

id much rather a smoother display over a few extra colors that arent used often.
    Thankyou.. you are correct.. what was I thinking???

duh!'

I can live with 18-bit, I wouldn't want 16 bit though. 24 or 32 bit is ideal, but I think I can live with 18
    Most games use 8 bit textures even crysis has 8 bit textures, the only time you go higher then that really is if you are doing HDR, in which case you would use 8 bit textures still but expand them into a 16 bit space.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    hmm i wonder how many pits the ipad2 is. i have been looking all over and still cant find info on it
    THANKS~!!
  12. AZ8
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    hmm i wonder how many pits the ipad2 is. i have been looking all over and still cant find info on it
    iPad2 is 24 bit.

Apple iPad 2 LCD Display Shoot-Out
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    hmm pretty interesting, i really hope that 18bit thing is some typo. i have always thought pre3 and TP are 24 bit while veer is 18 bit. and u could see it makes a difference as the veer looks slightly washed out compared to other screens.
    man .... =\
    THANKS~!!
    Straight from the source:
    9.7-inch diagonal multi-touch screen with vibrant 18-bit color
    Attached Files Attached Files
    bah, thats really disappointing, this thing is all screen was hoping that they would put a lot of effort into that.
    There is no way that's true. If it were really 18-bit, it would be very noticeable in what we've seen so far.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i agree... i mean in the tech videos u can see a visual diff between the toughpad and a veer next to it. ***!!! was the screen part of the late design change people have mentioned?
    this could be a game changer. i mean it goes from displaying millions of colors to just thousands....
    THANKS~!!
  18.    #18  
    The banding & non-smooth gradients are my main concern. For the flagship device it's not acceptable.

In store it will be obvious if purchasers view a photo side by side with a 24 bit display. Just another thing that might make a consumer pause and say "Why does this cost the same as xxxx"?

If it was a decision HP made to keep costs down, I think they should have looked elsewhere for savings. I mean even my old Palms & Clies had 24 bit displays.
    I was quite surprised at the "banding" I noticed on my Veer's lock screen when I picked it up on launch day. I expected it due to the previews, but couldn't see it in any of the review vids. It's possible we're just not seeing it on the TP because of the limitations of filming an LED screen with a camera.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    ok they have the term "Vibrant" - I think this is a technical term rather than descriptive. 18-bit Vibrant. maybe vibrant displays show colour in a different way?
    Does anyone know much about colour and vibrant displays?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast