Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Aren't most laptop screens 18-bit?
    Quote Originally Posted by corley View Post
    ok they have the term "Vibrant" - I think this is a technical term rather than descriptive. 18-bit Vibrant. maybe vibrant displays show colour in a different way?
    Does anyone know much about colour and vibrant displays?
    It's not a technical term.

It woul have been better to have a 24-bit color display, but people here is wrong with some terms.

When people here talks about banding, they remember the 16 (not 18) bit screens (65536 colors versus 262144). With dithering and framerare controlling, the video card can emulate a 24bit display, so 99% of people will not see the difference.

(the 1% is here at Precentral).

On the Pros side, better graphics performance, and probably better battery life.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

From Wikipedia:
    LCD displays

Almost all cheap LCD displays (such as typical twisted nematic types) use dithered 18-bit color (64 64 64 = 262,144 combinations) to achieve faster transition times, but they must use either dithering or Frame Rate Control to fake 24-bit-per-pixel truecolor, or throw away 6 bits of color information away entirely.
    EDIT: iPhone 3gs seems to have 18Bit:
    From http://forums.dpreview.com
    Last edited by somline; 06/22/2011 at 05:53 AM.
    This is concerning. Especially when we are paying the same price as an ipad2. I also thought HP's screen was IPS.

Then engadget covers Lenovo's tablet about to come out the same time. 32GB for $499. I'm starting to feel like HP doesn't know what they are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    This is concerning. Especially when we are paying the same price as an ipad2. I also thought HP's screen was IPS.

Then engadget covers Lenovo's tablet about to come out the same time. 32GB for $499. I'm starting to feel like HP doesn't know what they are doing.
    It is IPS. Go back and read the PDF again. I pretty sure most people don't have a clue what IPS is anyway. For the record 'In-Plane Switching' reduces the gap between the illumination source and the LCD, thus improving viewing angles.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    It is IPS. Go back and read the PDF again. I pretty sure most people don't have a clue what IPS is anyway. For the record 'In-Plane Switching' reduces the gap between the illumination source and the LCD, thus improving viewing angles.
    I'm just saying that if HP feels like they should be competing price to price on the ipad, they shouldn't have cut corners like they did on hardware.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i hope its some sort of typo, because this would be a horrendous mistake by some stupid bean counter.
    i checked at a couple of different HP sites and some have the os listed as 2.0. So i have no idea. however i do rememeber back when the TP and veer were announced seeing only the veer as 18 bit and everything else as 24.
    im really hoping this was not one of those last minute changes. bean counters are horrible and if they did that then i might just pass on this.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    It's not a typo. Everywhere I've looked that's the spec it says.

Hopefully one of those last minute changes we heard about not too long ago was a better screen. Otherwise, hello banding and dithering.
    I've never seen any discernable differences between 18bit and 24bit panels and I doubt many would either. And that includes no issues with banding.
    Maybe it employs some sort of dithering to minimize banding....
    At 1024x768 i'm pretty sure 256K colors will suffice. Now if it were 1920x1200 that would be a different story. I think it boils down to the ratio between resolution and colors. 24 bit color may just be overkill on a smaller resolution screen. The difference however between 16-bit like many android phones use, and 18 bit is huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I've never seen any discernable differences between 18bit and 24bit panels and I doubt many would either. And that includes no issues with banding.
    Developers would notice a difference.

18 to 24 bit is pretty much the difference between being limited and being free, but you're right: most people won't notice a difference.

The spec-heads have another leg to stand on though. =(
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post
    Aren't most laptop screens 18-bit?
    Mine is 32bit, from 2008.

Also has a 1920x1200 resolution.

http://i.imgur.com/Toto0.png
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

@zerohaste
    Agree. Everywhere I have looked the screen depth for Touchpad is consistently at 18-bit. I've not seen it as 24-bit.
    32 bit is 24 + alpha, FWIW. So you have a 24bit screen, the video card plays with colors to make 32
    Sadly, it is most definitely 18bit (phone calls solve lots of problems). I'll have to see it in a store before I'd feel good about wanting to purchase one. :P (can't purchase now anyway.)

The downside is they really really want me to preorder.
    So, what other tablets out there that are popular use 18bit? Maybe it's not as bad as we think?
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    Most games use 8 bit textures even crysis has 8 bit textures, the only time you go higher then that really is if you are doing HDR, in which case you would use 8 bit textures still but expand them into a 16 bit space.
    Apples and Oranges mate. You're talking about individual color channels.
    ok, so my thinkpad x100e is 18 bit, wifes aspire one is also. I've pulled out my iphone 36 to check also. everyone check your laptops and see what the colors are and see if its acceptable! :P
    so is this a software modification that changes the color depth? or hardware? Like they could make it an option right? in the settings?
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast