Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    So will my palm profile be the same for my pre minus and my touchpad? Or will I have to have two different profiles and then when i get a pre 3 change the profile in the touchpad to match the phone?
    Just use the same one. The TTS will not work and "answer phone / sms on touchpad" may not (I am uncertain). But, you can keep the one profile
    It appears that you can have the same profile on Touchpad and a webOS phone, but I'm not sure you can have the same profile on more than one phone.
    Wasn't there a lot of problem creation when moving from webOS 1.4.x to webOS 2.x due to the Palm profile database structure or something like that? I wonder if that would play into the issue of the Pre and TouchPad?
    That was because a lot of people from this forum were 'unsupportedly' meta-doctoring to 2.1. Everyone who made the switch officially had no problems.
    The HP rep told me yesterday that you WILL NOT have the same profile on a pre- and the TP. Just what I heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by doodad64 View Post
    The HP rep told me yesterday that you WILL NOT have the same profile on a pre- and the TP. Just what I heard.
    I believe approximately 0% of what comes from HP reps right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    That was because a lot of people from this forum were 'unsupportedly' meta-doctoring to 2.1. Everyone who made the switch officially had no problems.
    I can understand that, but this isn't moving just to webOS 3.x. It's simultaneously existing in both webOS 1.4.x and webOS 3.x.
    Well tight now everyone is confused about it, and if you're not, then you're full of whatever makes grass grow green, because nobody knows anything about what's going to happen in regards to palm profiles.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Wasn't there a lot of problem creation when moving from webOS 1.4.x to webOS 2.x due to the Palm profile database structure or something like that? I wonder if that would play into the issue of the Pre and TouchPad?
    I am thinking devices running software prior to 2.x won't be able to share profiles. I also am thinking if the app cat doesn't get fixed, devices prior to Pre 2 may not be able to share profiles (even if they have been dr.d to 2.x).

To clarify this thought before anyone jumps on my ****... I am looking at how everything else is evolving around the app catalog and 2.x devices. Doesn't seam like this is going to be backwards compatible very well. Not saying it can't be done, just thinking HP doesn't want to waste resources on compatibility and stability of devices that are around 2 years old. (like it or not I am just being realistic)

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    From what I remember this is incorrect information. Once a profile has been upgraded to 2.x, it cannot be properly used on a 1.x device. Even if the profile went to 2.x on an authorized 2.x device (Pre 2, Veer, some Pre+'s). This is because when being used on 2.x their are changes made to the profile.

Just saying I don't recall it being specific to meta-doctoring. Just that meta-dr 2.x devices might want to go back to 1.x. Where Pre 2/Veer wouldn't be dr to 1.x. I am thinking you would have the same problem say using your 1.x profile on a Pre 2/Veer, then going back to your 1.x device.

This is all from memory, not that I have done it. I just remember it being a function of the new way Palm Profiles are going to function.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Based on my limited understanding of what was causing the problem, I'd have to agree with you, OldSkool... I just don't see how the profile could simultaneously exist in webOS 1.4.x and webOS 3.x at the same time.

HP has made it pretty clear they want nothing to do with legacy webOS devices at this point. From what I understand, all it would take is a software update to get TTS technology to work with the Pre/Pixi phones, for example.

fxspec06 is right about nobody being 100% certain about it, though.
    So what's going to happen with all of us WebOS fanatics still with 1.4 profiles that rush out to support the TP, then our phones stop working?

I can't wait to see how this pans out.

"Make it right" indeed.
    Why would our phones stop working?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    So what's going to happen with all of us WebOS fanatics still with 1.4 profiles that rush out to support the TP, then our phones stop working?

"Make it right" indeed.
    My best guess? If you try to log in to your Palm Profile with the TouchPad, it will tell you that profile is already assigned to a different device. Again, it's just a guess.

Wouldn't that be seriously sweet if you bought a TouchPad, HP allowed your Pre to upgrade to webOS 2.x? Sigh. Not gonna happen, though.
    you can upgrade it yourself

"Make it right" indeed.
    No one is saying your phone(s) will stop working. People really need to stop losing their minds over everything on these forums.

The purpose between sharing profiles is to share apps. My guess is this may be the missing function.

I would guess the TP is going to be set to not log people out of their phone profiles. I could see an issue with say Dr.ing your 1.x device and then possibly having profile compatibility problems at that time.

Like I said this is all speculation, and there are always possibilities of server side software updates and tweaks. My whole point is, I wouldn't expect 1.x devices to share profiles on the same level as 2.x devices. If they do, that's awesome, if they don't ohhh well, I don't expect lifetime support for an electronics purchase.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Easy way to answer this: just keep an eye on your Palm Profile page in the next couple of weeks. Sooner or later something is going to change that will indicate support for multiple devices on one profile. If it doesn't change for anybody, then you will have different profiles (at least at launch).

Besides, the product page for the Touchpad at HP say that both phone and tablet have to be on the same Palm Profile to enable sharing:

TouchPad | HP

Pre3 and Touchpad must have same HP webOS account.
    I guess they're also going to be changing it to HP webOS account from Palm Profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    No one is saying your phone(s) will stop working. People really need to stop losing their minds over everything on these forums.

The purpose between sharing profiles is to share apps. My guess is this may be the missing function.

I would guess the TP is going to be set to not log people out of their phone profiles. I could see an issue with say Dr.ing your 1.x device and then possibly having profile compatibility problems at that time.

Like I said this is all speculation, and there are always possibilities of server side software updates and tweaks. My whole point is, I wouldn't expect 1.x devices to share profiles on the same level as 2.x devices. If they do, that's awesome, if they don't ohhh well, I don't expect lifetime support for an electronics purchase.
    There were some rather serious problems with 1.4 profiles getting converted to 2.0 devices and then reverted to 1.4 devices.
    There were some rather serious problems with 1.4 profiles getting converted to 2.0 devices and then reverted to 1.4 devices.
    Yes I know this... you are speaking about a different function (I noted the issues of the 1.x to 2.x in a post above).

This is a different function of profile sharing and as someone else said above, HP has never said there would be profile sharing from phone to phone. We are specifically talking about the function of profile sharing between phone and TP.

Like I said, the primary functionality of profile sharing between phone and TP would be for App sharing (not having to purchase apps twice). After that everything else I can think of with profile sharing could be accomplished with Synergy (calendar/contacts/fb/twitter/etc).

Basically you are comparing apples to oranges. We don't know what throwing a current Palm profile on to a TP will do. But it should not function the same as logging into a phone with a Palm Profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post

Like I said, the primary functionality of profile sharing between phone and TP would be for App sharing (not having to purchase apps twice). After that everything else I can think of with profile sharing could be accomplished with Synergy (calendar/contacts/fb/twitter/etc).
    In one of the Tim Pettitt videos, I think he said that the profile sharing will also facilitate tap-to-share and switching calls and texts to the TouchPad from your phone.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast