Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Just got off the phone with a hp rep. name Tom Leake, I ask the quetion will my palm profile will work with the touchpad? hes answer was yes, it will work on you touchpad, he also said palm profile are run by hp not sprint so no need for a new profile. By the way im on a sprint pre running 2.1 meta-doctor.
    Subscribing...

If the profile has problems syncing back to a non 2.0+ device after its been synced to a 2.0+ device, then I do not see how it can share the same profile amongst a Pre- and the TouchPad. But since I am not sure, then I hope this question will be answered before I buy a TouchPad (which I hoped to do on Launch day).

Or HP can buy me a Sprint webOS device if I have to use my upgrade to buy a non-webOS device on Sprint just to make my Touchpad work. Or give me a monthly discount on service with AT&T or Verizon if I buy a Pre3.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    I think all the dire predictions and statements that HP wants "nothing to do with" legacy devices is a bit funny to read.

From my understanding, the only real problemm with 1.4.5 profiles and 2.x profiles is with the data stored in the Palm Profile accont - things liked contacts. I don't keep any of that information in my Palm Profile account, I keep it in Google and Exchange, and count on synergy syncing them. I've had no trouble going from one account 1.4.5 to 2.x (and back, twice).

However; sharing between two different devices my post a different problem.

That said, I firmly believe those who own legacy devices will be able to share profiles. HP knows that a lot of users of legacy WebOS devices will be early adopters.

Since the most anticipated replacement of the Pre and PrePlus isn't available yet (the Pre 3), I don't think they'd release the TouchPad without having appropriate options for the profile(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think all the dire predictions and statements that HP wants "nothing to do with" legacy devices is a bit funny to read.

From my understanding, the only real problemm with 1.4.5 profiles and 2.x profiles is with the data stored in the Palm Profile accont - things liked contacts. I don't keep any of that information in my Palm Profile account, I keep it in Google and Exchange, and count on synergy syncing them. I've had no trouble going from one account 1.4.5 to 2.x (and back, twice).

However; sharing between two different devices my post a different problem.

That said, I firmly believe those who own legacy devices will be able to share profiles. HP knows that a lot of users of legacy WebOS devices will be early adopters.

Since the most anticipated replacement of the Pre and PrePlus isn't available yet (the Pre 3), I don't think they'd release the TouchPad without having appropriate options for the profile(s).
    And I hope that we can use our "legacy" device (which has no replacement on Sprint) with the TouchPad.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Most likely they are enabling subaccounts, and the touchpad will be one of those.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine335 View Post
    So will my palm profile be the same for my pre minus and my touchpad? Or will I have to have two different profiles and then when i get a pre 3 change the profile in the touchpad to match the phone?
    I used the HP website to leave a message for Leo A. who had Rick contact me for the second time and the official line is:

when you enable a Touchpad, it upgrades your Palm Profile to v3.0 and only compatible devices, such as the Veer, using v2.2 can use the same profile. That means those of use with v1.4.5 profiles are *****-out-of-luck and cannot use an original Pre with a TouchPad at all.

Personally, I'm moving to a RIM Playbook and QNX which is the only other true multi-tasking tablet OS. However I have two years left on my Bell Mobility Canada contract and since no ones likely to write and webOS 1.4.5 apps , will simply get more and more frustrated waiting for the day Music (Remix) is upgraded to Enyo and no longer available on my clunker of a device.

I was seriously thinking of dropping over $4,000.00 on a high end six processor computer and high capacity color printer from HP but now looking for alternatives. Thanks for nothing, HP.

Very disappointed Palm/HP user

Ray Edmonton Alberta Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhidden View Post
    I used the HP website to leave a message for Leo A. who had Rick contact me for the second time and the official line is:

when you enable a Touchpad, it upgrades your Palm Profile to v3.0 and only compatible devices, such as the Veer, using v2.2 can use the same profile. That means those of use with v1.4.5 profiles are *****-out-of-luck and cannot use an original Pre with a TouchPad at all.
    I find this very hard to believe and likely illegal. If i have a sprint pre minus, and I use my Palm Profile with my new HP touchpad, then my profile suddenly stops working on my Pre, i would essentially have a bricked phone.

I'm pretty certain that he means sharing between devices that have the same profile will be limited to devices w/ webOS 2.0 and up. But your profile will still work on you're original device.
    I have a great idea for everyone with a Pre-... Just update it with the meta doctor and use it with the TouchPad. Why does this have to be so hard?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I have a great idea for everyone with a Pre-... Just update it with the meta doctor and use it with the TouchPad. Why does this have to be so hard?
    There is s small group of people out there that refuse to do anything to their phone that isn't supported.

Also, I metadoctored my sprint pre and it runs like crap (tried all the kernals).
    Well, I figured that this would be the case (Pre- on webOS 1.4.5) would not be able to coexist on the same profile with a TouchPad. Now my option is to get a new phone (since i am out of contract) on Sprint. Verizon's recent announcement made me unwilling to go with them and since I am on a family plan, I dont want to break up that since my wife got an Epic 4G 6 months ago due to her frustrations with her Pre. Nexus S or Evo 3D...?
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    In one of the Tim Pettitt videos, I think he said that the profile sharing will also facilitate tap-to-share and switching calls and texts to the TouchPad from your phone.
    True just wasn't addressing that since it's not a feature of even the Pre2. To use TTS you will (at least according to current HP notes) have both devices on the same profile.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I find this very hard to believe and likely illegal. If i have a sprint pre minus, and I use my Palm Profile with my new HP touchpad, then my profile suddenly stops working on my Pre, i would essentially have a bricked phone.
    Bricked Phone???? Huh?

I see you have a large amount of posts, I would guess with that many posts you would know enough to know that your Palm Profile doesn't brick your phone right???

Once again, the freaking out around here has gotten over the top. WORST case scenario would be having to create a new profile on your 1.x device. You would then "lose" any data you kept specifically synced to your Palm profile. For most of us around these forums that would only be apps, as was mentioned earlier, most of us don't trust our Palm profile to sync contacts or anything else. (speaking of which I need to dump all of my contacts to my PC, still have some synced to Palm profile from initial phone purchase and setup)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    ...when you enable a Touchpad, it upgrades your Palm Profile to v3.0 and only compatible devices...
    WHEN you enable a TouchPad is the key part of that communication. So do you suppose HP is going to allow you to use your existing webOS 1.4.x Palm profile with the TouchPad? I'm still of the opinion the TouchPad will likely refuse your existing webOS 1.4.x profile with a message something like "The Palm profile you've requested is unavailable."

The one place where I'd be concerned is for legacy users that have modded their devices to use webOS 2.x.

HP doesn't care to support legacy devices, and breaking the crap out of them will definitely mean supporting them. The carriers would be outraged at the influx of problem webOS devices as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    HP doesn't care to support legacy devices, and breaking the crap out of them will definitely mean supporting them. The carriers would be outraged at the influx of problem webOS devices as well.
    This isn't entirely true, either.

HP was the one who allowed legacy 2.x devices official app catalog access in the first place.

I was one of, if not the first VZW phone user to meta-doctor to 2.1, and it wasn't until HP flipped invisible switch in the background that we were given by the gods app catalog access.

At the time it required a complex procedure, but it was definitely HP allowing a certain masq string app catalog access. Without it, we may not have meta-doctored devices everywhere.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The carriers would be outraged at the influx of problem webOS devices as well.
    LOL @ influx

All 50 really ****ed off users....
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    It easy to say that but to do it is an other thing. I know nothing about those things and when I've try to upgrade my palm pre minus to 2.1 I spend like two hours just to figure out "Step 1". I then give up

Personally, I'm moving to a RIM Playbook and QNX which is the only other true multi-tasking tablet OS. However I have two years left on my Bell Mobility Canada contract and since no ones likely to write and webOS 1.4.5 apps , will simply get more and more frustrated waiting for the day Music (Remix) is upgraded to Enyo and no longer available on my clunker of a device.

I was seriously thinking of dropping over $4,000.00 on a high end six processor computer and high capacity color printer from HP but now looking for alternatives. Thanks for nothing, HP.

Very disappointed Palm/HP user

Ray Edmonton Alberta Canada
    I'll repeat from another thread:

How about posting what he actually said, instead of your interpretation of what he said? I seriously doubt he said "those of use with v1.4.5 profiles are *****-out-of-luck". I suspect you're wrong in your intepretation, but we'd like see the actual information given.

If you were seriously thinking about dropping over $4k on a system, surely waiting a few more days before deciding for sure would be worth the wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    There is s small group of people out there that refuse to do anything to their phone that isn't supported.
    The majority of Pre users don't know about Preware or Metadoctoring. I'm sure that HP has kept this in mind, because the support costs involved in all those people calling in (to say nothing of the cost of returned products) would not be insignificant.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Boy, Sorry I asked.
    I got a call today from my HP rep, Samuel Kramer. I asked him this question and without hesitation, he replied that the profile will be the same with a Pre minus however there will be no TTS or any other features a Pre 3 will have.He did seem very knowledgeable or maybe good BS, but he seemed to confident.
    I preordered, time will tell.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Touch to Share is a function that is enabled by hardware located in both the phone AND the Touchpad. Our older WebOS phones do not have the hardware to "announce" its existence to the Touchpad, so that won't work. The theory is that since Touch to Share only triggers a bluetooth connection, there should be an app we can run on both devices to manually trigger the sharing.

That may not be as elegant or "sexy" as Touch to Share, but it SHOULD still work for what we want it to. There will still be a bit of confusion about using the same profile between a Doctored Pre minus or Plus and the Touchpad until we get more news and hear about testing. I really do hope that those who have doctored to WebOS 2.1 will be good to go, but it is theoretically possible that we may need to get a WebOS 2.2 Doctor for our Pre Minus/Plus to share the profile with the Touchpad.

Keep in mind that the WebOS 2.1 Doctor was OFFICIALLY released for those on O2 in Europe(which is the basis for how the scripts were put together for the different carriers that don't have the official image available). If AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint would just sign off on it, then we would have access to the WebOS 2 apps on the store.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast