Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nothing would stop Apple from suing anyone from what I've seen, so don't immediately jump to the conclusion that they won't. Whether or not they're successful is another story, but filing itself is not exactly ruled out IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Anyone can sue anyone. Period.

Will Apple sue HP?

I don't know.. I'd think that there would have to be significant evidence that they have violated some patented IP that Apple has..

For the life of me, I can't see where that would be in the case of the Touchpad or any WebOS smartphone to date.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Nothing would stop Apple from suing anyone from what I've seen, so don't immediately jump to the conclusion that they won't. Whether or not they're successful is another story, but filing itself is not exactly ruled out IMO.
    Actually, I don't think Apple sues nearly as much as folks think. I wouldn't doubt that they send a lot of threatening letters, but there's a problem with suing, and not winning.

Think of the schoolyard bully. There are two situations where s/he can really have problems.

1. Threatening to kick someones backside, and getting taken up on it (face it, bullies prefer to threaten, not actually fight)
    2. Getting taken up on a threat, and losing

In the first scenario, they have to actually go fight the person that said "OK", or they lose any real power with their threats

In the second scenario, they lose power. As a matter of fact, the person picked on may beat them bad enough that they become the new playground king.

The first scenario is what happens if a company files to frequently. That's why most companies will instead send threatening letters.

The second scenario is what happens when a company files, is taken up on it, then looses very publicly (as what happened to Apple when they filed their "look and feel" lawsuit). A loss such as that means not only did the original defendent win, all of the guys that were afraid of the bully are now much braver.

I don't think there's much chance at all of Apple suing HP over the look of the TouchPad, though HP might actually welcome such a lawsuit. It would give them a lot of publicity on how the TP is not only different, but better than the iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Anyone can sue anyone. Period.

Samsung is one of Apple's suppliers for many of their products. I can certainly understand a lawsuit if Apple decided that the early access to designs was being shared with the division(s) that build competing products.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    dont go scrounging for titles... read the article.. and the source article which can be found HERE

Hmmm and what is that source article about???

Apple wins early access to Samsung phones/tablets in copycat case
    Thanks. Now practice what you preach.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Samsung is one of Apple's suppliers for many of their products. I can certainly understand a lawsuit if Apple decided that the early access to designs was being shared with the division(s) that build competing products.
    The basis of thier lawsuit, if I remember correctly, was that Apple feels that Samsung's products resemble Apples products down to the manufacturing level, in many instances; the implication is that because Samsung was meticulously familiar with the Apple products, that they used Apple-specific manufacturing designs.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

apple will sue hp for manufacturing a touch screen device that palm invented. there i said it. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    The basis of thier lawsuit, if I remember correctly, was that Apple feels that Samsung's products resemble Apples products down to the manufacturing level, in many instances; the implication is that because Samsung was meticulously familiar with the Apple products, that they used Apple-specific manufacturing designs.
    Exactly! Which is why the articles quoted talked about "technology" and "user interface" that were copied, in addition to "style".

Apple trying to sue HP over copying their "style" on a device that, when you take away the user interface, is basically a video screen wouldn't stand a chance.

HP's user interface is nothing like Apple's, and with some of the patents HP owns, Apple would be risking the aforementioned backside-kicking were they to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Exactly! Which is why the articles quoted talked about "technology" and "user interface" that were copied, in addition to "style".

Apple trying to sue HP over copying their "style" on a device that, when you take away the user interface, is basically a video screen wouldn't stand a chance.

HP's user interface is nothing like Apple's, and with some of the patents HP owns, Apple would be risking the aforementioned backside-kicking were they to try.
    But if I pull up the launcher then it looks like Apple's interface... Oh wait, it's only a 3x3 on-screen icon grid instead of a 4x4 icon grid. >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    But if I pull up the launcher then it looks like Apple's interface... Oh wait, it's only a 3x3 on-screen icon grid instead of a 4x4 icon grid. >.>
    couldn't palm/hp then turn around and counter that because the original palm os was the exact same...
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Yep, and if you just look at the launcher of both, they look a lot like Palm's PalmOS start screen. Guess who owns the patents relating to Palm?

And round and round we go.
    is it even possible for a company to sue just because the device looks the same hardware wise? All would be fine unless you stick an apple logo on it.. Then obviously that's grounds for suing.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    is it even possible for a company to sue just because the device looks the same hardware wise? All would be fine unless you stick an apple logo on it.. Then obviously that's grounds for suing.
    That's pretty much been my point. Truth is, you can sue for anything, winning is another story.

That said, there are some features that a company can sometimes patent, usually register as a trademark; however, the TP and the iP are both simply too generic looking from the getgo for such a suit to be viable.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That's pretty much been my point. Truth is, you can sue for anything, winning is another story.

That said, there are some features that a company can sometimes patent, usually register as a trademark; however, the TP and the iP are both simply too generic looking from the getgo for such a suit to be viable.
    well that's just it... there are only so many ways you can design a product without compromising what it's supposed to be.

a tablet is a tablet. the playbook (thou it's only 7") looks more like the ipad than the touchpad.

That said, you're right.. you can sue for almost anything, it's whether or not you'll get anywhere with that. I could sue all the Pre central whiners for causing distress, but that won't get me anywhere... and clearly that's a joke.. if i had distress i think i would need to see a shrink lol
    A lot of companies will file lawsuits that are questionable just to show the company is actively trying to protect their IP so the rights aren't considered abandoned.

Ford went through this a few years ago with Shelby American. A lot of kit car manufacturers were using the name "Cobra" and Shelby sued for the rights to the name because Ford wasn't enforcing their copyrights. Ford, in turned fought with Shelby to protect their rights to the name "Cobra" and after beating Shelby in court, Ford became increasingly aggressive protecting names like "Mustang" etc.

Anyway, I think the thread has been covered.
    Some people believe Apple won't likely sue because they can't win.
    Some people believe Apple won't sue because even if they did win, it won't really make a difference.
    Some people believe Apple will sue, totally at random, because they're evil like that, haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    A lot of companies will file lawsuits that are questionable just to show the company is actively trying to protect their IP so the rights aren't considered abandoned.

Ford went through this a few years ago with Shelby American. A lot of kit car manufacturers were using the name "Cobra" and Shelby sued for the rights to the name because Ford wasn't enforcing their copyrights. Ford, in turned fought with Shelby to protect their rights to the name "Cobra" and after beating Shelby in court, Ford became increasingly aggressive protecting names like "Mustang" etc.
    Absolutely no comparison here. In the case your citing, if it existed (I can't find it, so I don't know all of the details), one company is attempting to invalidate anothers existing trademark. That's common on trademarks that aren't protected. A company that registers a trademark must aggressively pursue it, or they loose rights to it.

It's interesting that you mention Shelby though. They did file suit against another companies for, among other things, making a car kit that was "designs confusingly similar to the Daytona Coupe Trade Dress". That was settled out of court basically agreeing that car companies can make cars that look the same, but they can't use the logo, patented parts reproductions, or the registered names.

Shelby reintroduced the suit a couple of years ago, and the "trade dress" portion was dismissed out of hand. The rest of the suit was also dismissed, but I thought reading about "trade dress" was appropriate to this discussion.

A couple of things that make it different though - the original suit was settled, so it's hard to say who "won" (though the kit makers got to keep makeing their kits). That said, the design of the Shelby cars was a lot more distinctive than that of the iPad or TouchPad.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12