Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    well we just dont know do we.

WP7 managed around 2000 apps at launch. That shows what's possible.

if I was a dev I would wait till after launch to submit my app so I would stay nearer the top of the recent apps list for longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Look, this is obviously not true. It is posted by a retailer who wanted to make the TouchPad look good.
    It is funny how we consider some things 'rumors' or hope for them when they are completely, obviously untrue.
    The problem is that there is no "obvious" about it. I'm not willing to jump out and say "wow we now have 15,000 apps" but there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Obvious would suggest that there is some other source that is more reputable that says otherwise.

edit: as untidyguy suggests, I suppose we could use logic as a source. But then we do have the wp7 numbers which defy logic.
    Look, this is obviously not true. It is posted by a retailer who wanted to make the TouchPad look good.
    With all due respect good sir, it was printed on the internet. So it *has* to be true.

-Suntan
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    With all due respect good sir, it was printed on the internet. So it *has* to be true.

-Suntan
    a man in a bar confirmed it to me so it must be true.

http://www.picturesof.net/_images_300/A_Drunk_Man_With_a_Pint_Beer_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_090628-222349-449009.jpg
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    It is funny how we consider some things 'rumors' or hope for them when they are completely, obviously untrue.
    Or that horribly hacked together video of someone playing Need For Speed on a Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    Yea, I'm being routed to TreoCentral for every thread on PreCentral.
    And requires to login on every screen. Yeah annoying

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Or that horribly hacked together video of someone playing Need For Speed on a Pre?
    Good catch.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

for everyone talking about the treocentral stuff. Its intentional. Go look at this thread. http://forums.precentral.net/site-fe...o-central.html
    Chance of 15000 apps being available for TouchPad at launch:
    0%

My guess is somebody typoed a 0 too many in.
    1500 seems more reasonable.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Chance of 15000 apps being available for TouchPad at launch:
    0%

My guess is somebody typoed a 0 too many in.
    1500 seems more reasonable.
    I'd be happy with 1500, but I am skeptical that even THAT many apps for the TouchPad exist, unless HP paid a lot of devs to port their iPad apps over.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    The problem with your theory (and in spite of how "obvious" it may be to you, it's just a theory) - why pick 15,000? If they were going to pick a number they knew to be false, why not 50,000 or even 100,000?

If I were a vendor and want to "make the TouchPad look good", I would have simply labled it "thousands of apps", or even "thousands of new apps".
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I'd be happy with 1500, but I am skeptical that even THAT many apps for the TouchPad exist, unless HP paid a lot of devs to port their iPad apps over.
    Unlikely, It's at least got most of the 7000 apps we have on the Pre. They wouldn't discount those just because they are not optimised for the big screen, not if they wanted to sell it anyway.

If your not in Europe you probably wont really know who CPW are. Let me elucidate...

"Carphone Warehouse Group PLC (LSE: CPW), known as The Carphone Warehouse, is Europe's largest independent mobile phone retailer, with over 1,700 stores across Europe. It is based in the United Kingdom and is a 50% subsidiary of Best Buy. Outside the UK and Ireland, the retailer is named The Phone House."

CPW also runs broadband and telephone services(purchased from AOL UK and Tiscali UK). It owns the TalkTalk mobile MVNO and has an IP TV service; TalkTalk TV runs in London.

In short, this is a big company. I can well imagine HP sharing a little too much detail with them to get them onboard.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    @ hagster only because the CPW is a big compnay doesnt mean that HP is sharing "a little too much details to get them on side" Amazon.co.uk and play.com to of the most populat online UK retailers havent even got the touchapd :-(

15,000 could be true we will have to wait and see, speculation is fantastic and it could be the reason the feeds have been pulled as previously stated, or they could have been pulled to help boost corporate sales as stated in over threads.

just to let you know that anything is possible why dont you find out how many apps windows phone 7.5 (mango) has waiting in the wings .....
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Unlikely, It's at least got most of the 7000 apps we have on the Pre. They wouldn't discount those just because they are not optimised for the big screen, not if they wanted to sell it anyway.

If your not in Europe you probably wont really know who CPW are. Let me elucidate...

"Carphone Warehouse Group PLC (LSE: CPW), known as The Carphone Warehouse, is Europe's largest independent mobile phone retailer, with over 1,700 stores across Europe. It is based in the United Kingdom and is a 50% subsidiary of Best Buy. Outside the UK and Ireland, the retailer is named The Phone House."

CPW also runs broadband and telephone services(purchased from AOL UK and Tiscali UK). It owns the TalkTalk mobile MVNO and has an IP TV service; TalkTalk TV runs in London.

In short, this is a big company. I can well imagine HP sharing a little too much detail with them to get them onboard.
    I'd rather you be right than I, trust me!

But if HP is allowing this company to represent non-optimized, run-in-an-emulator app to be counted for the TouchPad, then the TouchPad's success has been written. Even if they are scalable to full screen like the iPad does iPhone apps, I have yet to see the emulator's performance. Based on how the PalmOS emulator ran, I am not hopeful that this will be a better experience. And if they are simply recreating all of the apps that currently exist to work with the TouchPad, then they are artificially doubling the app amount by including the non-Touchpad apps, which also wont bode well for the Touchpad's success.

But I understand...marketing & advertising doesnt have the same limits as reality. Its just not going to look good when Apple didnt count those apps and Google didnt count those apps but HP is.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    iPad was promoted as having access to the entire app store at launch, as I recall.
    Well I do remember some HP bigwig saying something about how there will be over 10,000 apps available at launch which surprised me. Then I remembered that internal app competition Phil McKinney talked about that we never saw much from although he did say some 750 apps were produced. I also figure HP was getting with different developers early on to get them to produce apps for the TP. We don't know how many or who these partners may be. I think it's possible they may have a few thousand additional apps on top of the existing app catalog which would bring the number close to 10,000.

But if HP is allowing this company to represent non-optimized, run-in-an-emulator app to be counted for the TouchPad, then the TouchPad's success has been written. Even if they are scalable to full screen like the iPad does iPhone apps, I have yet to see the emulator's performance. Based on how the PalmOS emulator ran, I am not hopeful that this will be a better experience. And if they are simply recreating all of the apps that currently exist to work with the TouchPad, then they are artificially doubling the app amount by including the non-Touchpad apps, which also wont bode well for the Touchpad's success.

But I understand...marketing & advertising doesnt have the same limits as reality. Its just not going to look good when Apple didnt count those apps and Google didnt count those apps but HP is.
    I have to say, the practice of "If HP does <insert some particular peeve of the person posting>, then they are going to fail" is really getting old.

No, if HP is doing exactly what you are saying, that does not mean their "success has been written". I might agree with you (assuming by that you mean they will fail) if those were the only apps they have.

Trust me, if another company can claim 500,000 apps, and a large portion of them are fart/shotgun/PourMyVirtualDrink/TheListGoesOn junk apps, HPs inclusion of legacy apps won't hurt them, as long as that's not all they count on.

What would be your alternative? I would rather be sure that I have access to the legacy apps that I need and use than to require that only optimized apps be available on the Touchpad. It would be wonderful if all legacy apps were updated by the Touchpad's release, but I think that it is unrealistic to expect this.
    Thought I read somewhere (the community and forums app thread?) that one will have to pay additional $ to use an app purchased for a phone on an additional device.
    ^^^
    That's a good point -has there been any talk about how licensing will work for apps being shared between webOS devices under the same profile?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast