Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Thought people might be interested in this e-mail I received. It almost had me till it said I would get $200 for my trouble and gave me a phone # to call "Ray"

Here's the e-mail:

Hello,

Hewlett-Packard has asked us to conduct a research study on their behalf in early July to gather feedback from users of the new Veer 4G mobile phone. The purpose of the research is to collect important, time-sensitive feedback from users such as yourself, and by participating, you’ll allow HP to improve their understanding of how well the device is meeting the needs of consumers.

Hewlett-Packard provided us with your name and email address because you have indicated a willingness to be contacted for research-related purposes.

The research will be conducted online. Specifically, participants will provide their feedback via an online journal, which many people find to be a fun and interesting way to engage with others as well as a good opportunity to learn more about technology. The journaling software is easy to use and the information you provide will be kept safe and confidential.

Everyone who participates in the online study will be paid $200 for their time.

Please contact me by email or phone (please see Ray’s contact information below) if you are interested in learning more about the research and how you can participate. I’ll need just a few minutes of your time to ask some questions and explain the program in more detail. Your participation is greatly appreciated!

Ray

<removed by staff>
    xxx-xxx-xxxx

email address

Regards,

Ray

ray fong :: elliott benson research

<removed by staff> :: sacramento, ca 95814
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/13/2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: updated title
    Quote Originally Posted by propsail View Post
    Thought people might be interested in this e-mail I received. It almost had me till it said I would get $200 for my trouble and gave me a phone # to call "Ray"

Here's the e-mail:

Hello,

Hewlett-Packard has asked us to conduct a research study on their behalf in early July to gather feedback from users of the new Veer 4G mobile phone. The purpose of the research is to collect important, time-sensitive feedback from users such as yourself, and by participating, you’ll allow HP to improve their understanding of how well the device is meeting the needs of consumers.

Hewlett-Packard provided us with your name and email address because you have indicated a willingness to be contacted for research-related purposes.

The research will be conducted online. Specifically, participants will provide their feedback via an online journal, which many people find to be a fun and interesting way to engage with others as well as a good opportunity to learn more about technology. The journaling software is easy to use and the information you provide will be kept safe and confidential.

Everyone who participates in the online study will be paid $200 for their time.

Please contact me by email or phone (please see Ray’s contact information below) if you are interested in learning more about the research and how you can participate. I’ll need just a few minutes of your time to ask some questions and explain the program in more detail. Your participation is greatly appreciated!

Ray

<removed by staff>
    xxx-xxx-xxxx

email address

Regards,

Ray

ray fong :: elliott benson research

<removed by staff> :: sacramento, ca 95814
    Well the company seems to exist http://www.elliottbenson.com/index.html

Dunno.. I believe HP allows 3rd parties to contact you .. I would try calling to see what's up before writing it off as a scam

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/20/2011 at 11:13 PM.
    I wouldn't trust it. HP would never employ a 3rd party site that promised to pay you $200. The typical online forum pays $3-15 on the high side for your time. You see a promise of a couple hundred bucks and bells and alarms should be going off in your head.

If it's too good to be true... it probably is. Use at your own risk.
  4. c4r
    I got the same email. Wierd...but interesting. And how did they know I just got a Veer. I may reply to the email just to see what they say.
    Hey guys...

Elliot Benson is a legit market research company in Sacramento, CA.

I can vouch that it is for real.

Also, if you live in Sacto, you might want to get on their list. Most of their projects require minimal time and pay a decent chunk of change. I've been their guinea pig before.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I wouldn't trust it. HP would never employ a 3rd party site that promised to pay you $200. The typical online forum pays $3-15 on the high side for your time. You see a promise of a couple hundred bucks and bells and alarms should be going off in your head.

If it's too good to be true... it probably is. Use at your own risk.
    Everybody uses 3d party market research...
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    Everybody uses 3d party market research...
    Yes.. but re-read my words... I said one that "promises to pay you $200" for a survey.
    I don't know if my word carries weight here or not (I've been a member of the community for a while). I can tell you it is legit. PM'd you Newman
    I got the PM... I'll take your word for it Your info sounds like this is indeed a legit deal if they are paying for a group of users to use services and give feedback and info over a course of time.
    I can also ensure you this is not a scam. $200 is a lot, but that just means there's more to the research than a quick survey.

It seems like you'd be helping HP which would be cool. And $200 isn't bad either.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    If you are concerned, which I would be since $200 seems extraordinary, why not call HP? They should be able to verify who they are using as 3rd party research firms.
  12.    #12  
    I called HP and I was advised that they have no knowledge of any research being conducted by this or any other group. If anyone can prove differently I'm all ears, otherwise I'm out.

Thanks,
    Craig
    i got this also. i emailed back, stating i was interested. i got a very prompt personal reply, explaining that if i was interested, it would require about an hour of my time everyday for a week. it would involve feed back responses and an online discussion, and uploading pictures. i was told to give them my number OR to call a toll free number. i have been trying to call for two days, but i've only gotten a recording to leave my number.

since i could use an extra $200, i will proceed cautiously and update once i find out anything. as long as i don't give out any personal info, i'm not too worried (should I be?) i figure they've already got my email address.

please let us know if y'all find out anything.
    I did a reverse lookup of the phone numbers in the email. One of them is unlisted or for a cell number, perhaps for ray fong, and the other is listed for a Jaclyn Benson or Elliott benson at the right address. So I think this kinda feels legit to me. I plan to call ray tomorrow, or perhaps tonight.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Any updates? Is this thing legit?
    Yes, it is legit. I'm signed up. It's about 7 hours work for 200 bucks. For all the people who are understandably cautious, I'll post back once the project is over (in several weeks) and I have my check.

The reason I can say with absolute certainty that it is legit is that Elliott Benson's office is less than two blocks away from where I work in downtown Sacramento. In the past I've done some of their projects. They've always been courteous and professional and prompt in payment.

Not to be snarky, but calling up HP and asking about their market research projects is like calling a Sprint Rep and begging for any information on whether they have a new HP phone coming out and when. Do you really think whoever you get on the phone is going to have knowledge of every single market research project being done by one of the largest companies in the world? Even if they did, would they share that information with the general public?

Anyways... it is legit. I'm going ahead with confidence based on my past experience with Elliott Benson.
    I neglected to call. Perhaps today.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I received the email and responded with an email ...and it bounced...twice. I will try a phone call.
  19.    #19  
    I bailed. I would rather be overly cautious, and 2 hundred bucks (before tax) isn't worth it to me. Granted, I'm notoriously known for the glass being half empty, so don't go by me.

Here's what I know: I got an e-mail from a research company I don't know who has some of my personal information. They ask me to be part of a study of which an HP representative has no knowledge, and the research company offers to pay me the unheard of gift of $200 for participating. When I asked if they can somehow give me proof of their legitimacy with their association with HP, they couldn't. That the company is called legitimate by people I don't know (no offense intended) on a discussion forum is not comforting enough for me.

Like I said, don't go by me, I'm paranoid. Good luck.
    Started today, great info exchange and discussions. Very professional.
    runukraine likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast