Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    835 Global Posts
    HP Touchpad Dead on Arrival.

I don't think it is, obviously...

though I do agree about the pricing. I know we've been over this a thousand times, but whatever it is, whatever it becomes, I think this is a huge mistake. At even $100 less it could have that going for it.

I'm not saying it can't climb that hill. But it shouldn't have to. And profit margin or not, HP would make more money in the long run had it come out cheaper.
    HP could buy ZDnet just to laugh while shutting it down. HP has been reasonably successful.

I think I'll give HP a bit of a benefit of the doubt before worrying what some innerweb writer has to say.

AND, it is not HP that is claiming it is gonna 'take down iPad'. HP has a longer term outlook than some launch number score card.

I am not a TABLET guy. I do not need or want one. But, I find it silliness that some geek thinks he gets to determine the goal of the TP and is better suited to determine marketing and pricing than one of the most successful corporations the earth has ever witnessed.

hubris is not just a river in Egypt.
    Last edited by rlee2001; 06/20/2011 at 03:25 PM.
    Man I was hoping no one would post this.. So sick of the pricing argument. the horse is dead.
    I swear.. ZDnet has become the new cnet (or must have hired a bunch of their reviewers) because lately everything they seem to crap out isn't actual reviewing/writing - but just an opinion piece.

Those who can: do. Those who can't: write for zdnet and cnet.
    I don't agree with everything, but I do agree with his point about HP making a 7 inch tablet, and pricing it at around $299. It would definitely knockout the playbook & the 7 inch android tablets, which are priced at $500. I really don't think a 7 inch table should cost the same as an iPad.

I also agree with his point about HP buying quick office, to corner the market on productivity apps by killing off the iOS & Android versions of the app.
    Who is ZDNet?

I guess provocative posts like these are a way to get recognized on the net.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I swear.. ZDnet has become the new cnet (or must have hired a bunch of their reviewers) because lately everything they seem to crap out isn't actual reviewing/writing - but just an opinion piece.

Those who can: do. Those who can't: write for zdnet and cnet.
    I'm pretty sure Cnet bought ZDnet years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Cnet bought ZDnet years ago.
    Haha.. that would explain a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    ...I also agree with his point about HP buying quick office, to corner the market on productivity apps by killing off the iOS & Android versions of the app.
    The problem with that is that if you really are successful doing so, you garner the interest of the Feds. They don't like companies being bought to simply shut down competition.

Here's where the guy that wrote the article shows his true stripes:

Of course, HP won’t do any of these things, because it makes too much sense. I expect that the TouchPad to hit the market like a lead balloon. The “Last Stand” for iPad competitors is more likely to be a Last Whimper
    Face it guy, you're writing for an on-line tech blog that could easily be bought several times over by the company that you're writing about, and you're pretending to know so much more about the industry that they are idiots in comparison.

Grab a mirror, and take a closer look at your relative positions...
    And so it begins:
    blog writes "touchpad DOA!".
    Dozens of other blogs quote the first blog's "touchpad DOA!".
    Engadget writes a review saying "it's a good device and webOS is awesome, but nobody will buy it and we only know the blogosphere has said it's DOA!"
    People read the internet, say "well it looks interesting and I think I like it, but I won't buy it if it's DOA!"
    Nobody buys it
    -> it's DOA.

ZDnet is DOA... They haven't been relevant for years.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    I remeber careing about ZDnets articles in the 90's... wastent it? is it still? Ziff Davis group? its been a while- they used to do some monthly PC mag also that was decent in the 90's also...was it PCMag? I forget.

Most of these sites are just "whats this random writer think today" includeing endgaget- I mostly look to them for leaks and release information- not actual "reviews" or projected previews.
    'Everyone has an opinion and they all stink', or it goes something like that.

This reminds me of movie critics and, wow, he even used bad words; he must be a real writer. He can predict the TP as "DOA" without even seeing one; I'm impressed. By name dropping J. Kenrick he already lost my sympathy; James dug a big hole with me over his political rant against the HP State 500; it is ironic that his name gets dropped as support for another HP basher. What happened, did HP pull advertising for Jkontherun.com last year?

If he knew half as much how to make a competitive 'tablet' would he be just writing about it?

Okay, enough with me bashing the basher; I don't think anyone believes for a minute that HP is going to outsell Apple coming out of the chute. By picking specs so chose to the iPad HP is sticking a foot in the door. You know it, we all know it, and HP knows it.

So if that is all they are doing why bother, you ask? Watch NASCAR or the Indy 500 to find the answer. The frontrunner, well out in front, confident of a substantial lead all of the sudden has a competitor break from the crowd behind. The competitor is still several lengths back and matching every move the leader makes. Soon, the leader starts to get nervous. Minor slipups begin to happen and soon the competitor is gaining. The leader starts to try harder and begins taking risks; some risks don't work and soon the competitor is right on the leader's bumper. The final turn on the last lap and all advantages are with the competitor!
    regards,

Dan

------------------
    TabletPC user
    Leave out DOA, and most of the points this guy makes have been made by a lot of bloggers and reporters. They've been right about android so far, here's hoping HP ignores the negatives, and stays in for the long haul. I already have more Touchpad order in, don't care about the naysayers opinions!
    so sick of hearing that they should have priced it cheaper. they absolutely should not have priced it cheaper than Ipad because by doing so you are admitting that it is an inferior product. yes, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    so sick of hearing that they should have priced it cheaper. they absolutely should not have priced it cheaper than Ipad because by doing so you are admitting that it is an inferior product. yes, really.
    thats so false. There are more than enough android tablets showing you lower pricing works, and same-as-ipad-price doesn't.

Obviously at this point in time, the price is already set and it would be bad to change price again before launch.

HP just needs to make good ads and campaign for the product, and stick to it no matter the initial sales of this tablet.

WebOS has good potential, HP should not give up on it even if the touchpad fails.
    Blah Blah Blah.

Other accurate predictions

Here's one specific to ZDNet:
    Open spectrum is why the iPhone will fail

There are other "predictions" from ZDNet. Please don't let the company used in the above examples detract from the point, which is ZDNet has no point. Somebody needs to take away there keyboards.

If these writers were actually good at predicting the future, do you think they would be working for ZDNet typing out/repeating gibberish?
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ZDnet and the web will not dictate sales of the Touchpad. the largest thing that will make or break the Touchpad is HP's advertising. More peiople watch TV then do research on comsumer electronics. If HP can convince enough people they "need" to part with their hard earned dollars and buy a touchpad then sales will be good and the product will be a success
    Well hp is getting my money for a touchpad, but not until document editing goes live, I don't always have internet availabilty on the go, so cloud isn't enough.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
    so sick of hearing "DOA"
    Seriously, just because one person says DOA then everyone fricken flocks to following the term DOA...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast