Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not trying to instigate here ...but I'm struggling to understand TouchPad's adoption curve versus Android/iPad. The WebOS devices released by HP have not been adopted widely despite widespread recognition of WebOS' multitasking and Synergy capabilities. If consumers still got the iPhone or Android device instead of the Pre/Veer/etc WebOS phone, why would the the same people go for the TouchPad?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting that the TouchPad will fail or that some people won't buy it. I just struggle to understand the differentiating feature(s) that will drive mass market adoption given what happened with the WebOS phones. Especially if TouchPad priced the same as the iPad.

So what will drive mass market adoption?
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    So what will drive mass market adoption?
    Hewlett Packard.

They're not in the top tier in worldwide PC sales for nothing and I expect they would, at the very least, have a decently-sized marketing campaign for the TouchPad.
    Where, on the other hand, Palm was orders of magnitude smaller than HP (by their own admissions) and with such limited availability, they really didn't have a chance.

And while we, as webOS enthusiasts have not seen any worthwhile marketing effort from HP for the TouchPad, keep in mind that HP wants their sales to ramp up, so those ads will come after the launch date.
    This is why a reboot in webOS customer relations is what is needed to get things going again.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yes, because i said so! =D
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    one word - hp.

big company/marketing.

also we are going to see big name apps that palm could never pull off:

citrix
    kindle
    skype.

and likely that is the tip of the iceberg.

with rim faltering, hp is wise to push the business angle too.
    The sad but good thing for HP is that most people, when asked about webOS they don't know anything about it, some might not even know it exists.

Again, sad because its' been around for 2 years
    But good because HP can gain traction through that lack of knowledge.
    first thing needed:

I should be able to do everything an ipad does. That makes the choice even. That means we need all the missing killer apps.. Epocrates or similar for medical folk. Movies/itunes type store, netflix is rumored.

then they need to go beyond....push those unique webos features and synergy.

already the tp is avaiable places where the ipad wasnt: costco even!
    IOS 5 versus webos 3 idk about. But apps will be be a big thing of concern. Ipads gotten to where it has apps for almost everything you would want to use a PC for including image creation, music creation, video creation, document creation, photo editing,netflix, and supports digital copies which are being bundled with movies more and more these days.
    My older brother is also in the IT field, but he's not much into phones. He came back from a contract job overseas a few weeks back, and we were talking about computers in general. He said he's replacing his laptop (for most uses) with a tablet, as soon as HP releases theirs. Of course, that got me to talking. Then he hit me with a bombshell.

He said "HP is releasing it with a new operating system called WebOS".

Now doen't get me wrong, I'm not saying that because he knew about it, the rest of the world will; however, my point is that he's not a "phone guy", he's a "computer guy", and the TouchPad is going to garner interest from folks that aren't really into phones.

WebOS is going to be much more widely known than it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    My older brother is also in the IT field, but he's not much into phones. He came back from a contract job overseas a few weeks back, and we were talking about computers in general. He said he's replacing his laptop (for most uses) with a tablet, as soon as HP releases theirs. Of course, that got me to talking. Then he hit me with a bombshell.

He said "HP is releasing it with a new operating system called WebOS".

Now doen't get me wrong, I'm not saying that because he knew about it, the rest of the world will; however, my point is that he's not a "phone guy", he's a "computer guy", and the TouchPad is going to garner interest from folks that aren't really into phones.

WebOS is going to be much more widely known than it was.
    I think this is a good start.

I'm still not convinced that HP's marketing machine has what it takes to overcome the iPad factor, but i'm hoping they do make a go of it.

What's frustrating about all of this is, IMO, they have the pieces to the puzzle if integrated correctly and advertised correctly to make a splash.

I feel, especially in tablets, Android is weak, and RIM is weak , so this is something that HP could easily step into.

They need to integrate it well and tell the story well. They will need consumer interest to drive sales as well.

They CAN pull it off, but will they? I'm skeptical.
    to extend hparsons' point:

When the pre came out, smartphones were just beginning to compete against one another. Fast forward to today and the competition is between ecosystems.

There are a large number of people, particularly tech people, that (for reasons good or bad) have rejected apple's eco-system. Amongst them, for a certain portion, google's eco-system will fall short (for a number of reasons like security, control, etc). HP, via the TP, can (although admittedly hasn't been proven yet) provide an ecosystem that fills those needs.

Its simply a different market competition today than it was when the pre was released, and in competing amongst ecosystems, HP has an opportunity to pretty much define the PC based ecosystem (lets be honest, Mac people are going to mostly stick with iOS).
    Guys, the failure of your past product is not always an indicator for the fate of the future product. Look at what happened from Sega Master System to Sega Genesis (Mega Drive). They went from nothing to industry king.

If HP can do some smart marketing along with solid hardware and good app releases, then it will succeed.

Now let's not talk about Sega after the Genesis...
    I am almost sure that we'll see a firework of products from HP webOS. I guess the announced it in Feb. to make sure they aren't forgotten. The Veer seems to sell well. The TP will sell well through all these sales channels and partners. The Pre3 will do well because of the Skype integration. And I stated elsewhere that I would bet that we'll see a slab this year and more...it takes some time to pull this all off...but if the machine is running and this system will get into the hands of many it'll succeed. No doubt. It is the best mobile OS out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Guys, the failure of your past product is not always an indicator for the fate of the future product.
    Can the iPod gain mass adoption even though Macintosh never did?

Can one product gain users if older products of the same manufacturer (or a different manufacturer bought up by the new one) didn't?

Can one product lose users and a wide userbase even if older products had a stranglehold on the market?

Can any music player other than a Walkman succeed in a world where Sony still makes mp3 players?

Markets change even though you get a lot of people who are myopic enough to believe with all of their soul that even if the past was turbulent and characterized by frequent changes, history has somehow come to an end with the current status quo and that tomorrow will always be like today even though today is markedly not like yesterday.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Can the iPod gain mass adoption even though Macintosh never did?

Can one product gain users if older products of the same manufacturer (or a different manufacturer bought up by the new one) didn't?

Can one product lose users and a wide userbase even if older products had a stranglehold on the market?

Can any music player other than a Walkman succeed in a world where Sony still makes mp3 players?

Markets change even though you get a lot of people who are myopic enough to believe with all of their soul that even if the past was turbulent and characterized by frequent changes, history has somehow come to an end with the current status quo and that tomorrow will always be like today even though today is markedly not like yesterday.

So it's clear that it's not impossible for the TouchPad to gain mass adoption. I did not say otherwise. But what will be the driving force behind this? It's clear (I think) what the driving force was behind the mass adoption of the iPhone versus Mac, android versus iPhone, iPod versus other MP3 players, etc

But what edge/differentiator(s) does the TouchPad have to drive the same mass adoption?
    So it's clear that it's not impossible for the TouchPad to gain mass adoption. I did not say otherwise. But what will be the driving force behind this? It's clear (I think) what the driving force was behind the mass adoption of the iPhone versus Mac, android versus iPhone, iPod versus other MP3 players, etc

But what edge/differentiator(s) does the TouchPad have to drive the same mass adoption?
    Right now, for consumers, not much, and that's the problem.

I'm still a believer in webOS, but I feel that HP makes a lot stronger argument @ $399 or $349, imo.
    They know how to market to the enterprise. Nobody else has the ability to hit the enterprise like HP can, with the possible exception of RIM, and the TouchPad should be a much more compelling solution than the Playbook.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    The biggest killer in my opinion is word of mouth. Customer sales reps, friends, people. People don't know what they're talking about and it kills it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    I'm still not convinced that HP's marketing machine has what it takes to overcome the iPad factor, but i'm hoping they do make a go of it.
    I get what you are saying here.

However, I think what people seem to think is that unless HP and webOS over takes Apple and iOS that it will be deemed a "failure" .. why, I do not know.

HP does not need to over take Apple. They don't need to over take Google for webOS to become a "success".

That's the golden question. What is a 'success'? How will HP measure this? Over how long?

"overcome the ipad factor" does not concern me whatsoever.
    The real challenge, and even i'm still on the fence, for HP to overcome is the need for a tablet. Why would a consumer need one? Why would an enterprise need one?

Besides portability, they serve no need, not for a lot of users. You'll have the small group of people who think they're so cool because they have a tablet, etc., but really, that's a small group of people.

For Apple, you will have your group who will buy whatever Steve Jobs puts an Apple logo on, even if it was a slice of toast with the logo.. someone would buy it.

The real challenge is getting the consumer to see the value in a tablet.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    citrix
    kindle
    EVERYBODY has citrix --- it's available for the ipad, playbook, webos...

Amazon also announced kindle for the Playbook a long time ago.

The Playbook also had the same "screenshot" leak on skype --- but that was all before it is being bought up by Microsoft. We don't know if it will ever go to the other mobile platforms now for business model reasons.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast