Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Hope this helps explain why the TouchPad is in so many ways like the iPad form factor.

    “We find that consumers are not interested in form factors that deviate from the benchmark set by Apple,” according to Bernstein Research.

    A Tablet Just Isn’t A Tablet (And No One Wants One) Unless It’s An iPad or iPad-look-alike!
    Last edited by ASASEABAN; 06/20/2011 at 12:00 PM.
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
  2. #2  
    Tis true. This is why the TouchPad needs to slim down.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  3. #3  
    I think WebOS is much more identifiable to iOS than Android and Honeycomb devices and even the Playbook.

    The UI of Android tablets is just too busy. There is far too much going on on the home screen.

    One of the big appealing factors of the iPad and iOS is it's simplicity of it's iconic imagery (read home screen). It looks not just easy to understand, but appealing too. Your lock screen is a picture and an unlock slider. Your home screen is a grid of icons. That's it.

    Likewise on WebOS you have the launcher and then your cards. That's it. It's simple and it looks it. It looks easy to understand.

    Android has that horrible status bar at the bottom, a load of randomly placed widgets that don't really belong anywhere and loads of different things going on at once. It looks confusing and even daunting.
  4. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #4  
    well the one great thing i wish they would add to webos are widgets. specially on the touchpad. imagine if instead of flicking away an app we could "shrink it" like pinch zoom out but with 3 or more fingers, and the app would just "minimize" into a widget.
    after u could just move it around the screen and set it whereever ud like.
    i hope HP can do this. it would be absolutely wonderful tool~!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  5. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #5  
    I hate widgets. First thing I got rid of in Vista. Best thing missing in 7. Was playing with Android and found them very frustrating, at best. My blood pressure rose, and I got 2 more grey hairs just trying to figure out what to do on the bloody thing.
    NNJ
  6. #6  
    That would be a cool thing to have as an option I guess. Me, I think webOS would be complete if they'd add the split / snap feature that we saw in the win8 preview.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    well the one great thing i wish they would add to webos are widgets. specially on the touchpad. imagine if instead of flicking away an app we could "shrink it" like pinch zoom out but with 3 or more fingers, and the app would just "minimize" into a widget.
    after u could just move it around the screen and set it whereever ud like.
    i hope HP can do this. it would be absolutely wonderful tool~!
    I don't agree, I think they add little - especially with the strong notification system WebOS has. I don't know anybody that uses them on Windows (was it ditched after Vista? Don't think they're available on my Win7) or OSX (the dashboard is a forgotton feature as far as Mac marketting is concerned.)
  8. Gone24's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevr1990 View Post
    I think WebOS is much more identifiable to iOS than Android and Honeycomb devices and even the Playbook.

    The UI of Android tablets is just too busy. There is far too much going on on the home screen.

    One of the big appealing factors of the iPad and iOS is it's simplicity of it's iconic imagery (read home screen). It looks not just easy to understand, but appealing too. Your lock screen is a picture and an unlock slider. Your home screen is a grid of icons. That's it.

    Likewise on WebOS you have the launcher and then your cards. That's it. It's simple and it looks it. It looks easy to understand.

    Android has that horrible status bar at the bottom, a load of randomly placed widgets that don't really belong anywhere and loads of different things going on at once. It looks confusing and even daunting.
    I am a fan of android and I 100% agree. Honeycomb is just awful, and Googles approach on the tablet market is no better. I think ios and webos will lead the tablet market until Android gets that simplicy and elegance that ios and webos has!!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I hate widgets. First thing I got rid of in Vista. Best thing missing in 7. Was playing with Android and found them very frustrating, at best. My blood pressure rose, and I got 2 more grey hairs just trying to figure out what to do on the bloody thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevr1990 View Post
    I don't agree, I think they add little - especially with the strong notification system WebOS has. I don't know anybody that uses them on Windows (was it ditched after Vista? Don't think they're available on my Win7) or OSX (the dashboard is a forgotton feature as far as Mac marketting is concerned.)
    Widgets are available in Win7. I use the CPU/Memory monitor. And I don't know what's hard to understand or frustrating about widgets. Really, that doesn't make any sense. My Puregrid calender widget makes checking my calender far quicker and easier than it was on webOS. My calorie counter widget allows me to quickly monitor my caloric intake, without having to open the app menu, then scroll to the app.

    That's the beauty of Android, though, if you don't like widgets, then just don't use them. Many people do, as they can be a big time saver. To each their own. But that's the point. If a feature you don't like is there, don't use it. However, when features you do like aren't available, you're SOL, as they say.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I hate widgets. First thing I got rid of in Vista. Best thing missing in 7. Was playing with Android and found them very frustrating, at best. My blood pressure rose, and I got 2 more grey hairs just trying to figure out what to do on the bloody thing.
    Let me help you out: they give you information at a glance without ever needing to open the application itself. If you couldn't figure out widgets, how'd you ever figure out gestures?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevr1990 View Post
    I think WebOS is much more identifiable to iOS than Android and Honeycomb devices and even the Playbook.

    The UI of Android tablets is just too busy. There is far too much going on on the home screen.

    One of the big appealing factors of the iPad and iOS is it's simplicity of it's iconic imagery (read home screen). It looks not just easy to understand, but appealing too. Your lock screen is a picture and an unlock slider. Your home screen is a grid of icons. That's it.

    Likewise on WebOS you have the launcher and then your cards. That's it. It's simple and it looks it. It looks easy to understand.

    Android has that horrible status bar at the bottom, a load of randomly placed widgets that don't really belong anywhere and loads of different things going on at once. It looks confusing and even daunting.
    Funny. I was on one of my Canadian sites Mobile Syrup, reading comments from people on the touchpad launch.

    Anyways, one comment kept going on about how webOS is dated, etc. So I sat there thinking "how is it dated, compared to IOS?"

    I mean that layout hasn't changed one bit in 5 years. If anything having the launcher permanent on the screen makes it look more dated, and more crowded.

    webOS is simple. It's clean.

    I've come to the conclusion that people will say whatever they can just cause they can.
  12. #12  
    Widgits can be programmed for webOS. There's nothing that stops them from being used. There just aren't a lot of widgit apps that have been programmed out there. It's part of having a slim app catalog.

    Widgets for webOS: A guide to "widgetizing" your webOS device | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevr1990 View Post
    I think WebOS is much more identifiable to iOS than Android and Honeycomb devices and even the Playbook.

    The UI of Android tablets is just too busy. There is far too much going on on the home screen.

    One of the big appealing factors of the iPad and iOS is it's simplicity of it's iconic imagery (read home screen). It looks not just easy to understand, but appealing too. Your lock screen is a picture and an unlock slider. Your home screen is a grid of icons. That's it.

    Likewise on WebOS you have the launcher and then your cards. That's it. It's simple and it looks it. It looks easy to understand.

    Android has that horrible status bar at the bottom, a load of randomly placed widgets that don't really belong anywhere and loads of different things going on at once. It looks confusing and even daunting.
    I agree. I played around with a Xoom at Sam's Club one day and it was just frustrating to use. It looked nice, but that was it. I've had the same experience trying to fix my mom's Android phone. IMHO, it's a bloody mess.

Posting Permissions