Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    Here's another find from Christos I. over at PalmPre-France. If you go to the Touchpad page at the HP website and check under the specs tab, then go to Music under the Entertainment category, you'll see HP Play and Amazon MP3. The question is, what is HP Play?

    If you download the pdf with complete specs, found below the HP Play mention, on the second page you'll find this:

    Sync your PC's music with Touchpad using HP Play.
    So we'll have music syncing a la iTunes with the Touchpad. If you look further in the document (page 22), you'll find this:

    HP Play requires download to your PC at http://hpplay.com
    It also lists many audio formats supported by the Touchpad that are not natively supported currently in webOS.

    Now, will this service be ready at launch? Who knows. The hpplay.com website is currently not functional. Although the domain was registered by HP - on February 9th.

    http://www.palmpre-france.com/HP-Pla...ebOS_a867.html
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/r.../FB355UA%23ABA

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  2. #2  
    Thanks, I've been waiting to hear more like this, I cross posted your thread here:
    HP and the "Killer Music Service" - PreCentral Forums
  3. #3  
    So, a year after I have fully made the switch AWAY from iTunes, HP is going to (pretty much) force me BACK to using iTunes?

    Hmph.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  4. #4  
    where does it say they're going to eliminate usb drive mode and force you to sync everything? Stop making assumptions.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Thanks, I've been waiting to hear more like this, I cross posted your thread here:
    HP and the "Killer Music Service" - PreCentral Forums
    Edit: I realized after I cross posted that PreCentral already wrote an article in late May, speculating about HP Play. There have been so many rumors, I made an attempt in the crosspost to summarize some of what has been discussed already.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    where does it say they're going to eliminate usb drive mode and force you to sync everything? Stop making assumptions.
    I was just teasing. I love iTunes and can't wait for them to bring it back.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I was just teasing. I love iTunes and can't wait for them to bring it back.
    fair enough. I'm just used to people actually thinking stuff like that around here that it's easy to take it at face value.
  8. #8  
    I just hope they have a solution for Mac OS X. I really think HP would be foolish to limit webOS support to just people using Windows, or worse, just HP computers.
  9.    #9  
    Just to be clear, this most likely isn't going to be iTunes. Palm and now HP are probably tired of making webOS compatible with iTunes only for Apple to break compatibility, so they're using their own program (possibly from Melodeo). Who knows, maybe it will evolve beyond simply syncing music and become a full mp3 store (separate from Amazon MP3).

    Also, the text for HP Play would make me doubt they would have Mac OS X compatibility, at least from the start. They say "sync to your PC" and "download to your PC".
  10. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #10  
    based on what hp is doing this will be web based.... no point in investing for bloatware on windows and Mac, when u can take the time and get it right on the web.
    i just hope they have 24-bit encoding option on purchases so we could finally see if beats audio is really just a gimmick -=X
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  11. #11  
    I would rather use Songbird, but honestly, I have been very pleasantly surprised by Google Music, the sound quality is great. It will replace my ZuneHD for probably 70% of my music listening, but let's be honest, 32GB just isn't enough space on this sort of device, to hold music. So As long as the Google Music web app works on the TouchPad, I will be happy enough.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I was just teasing. I love iTunes and can't wait for them to bring it back.
    They won't. If you love iTunes, you are stuck in an Apple ecosystem. Apple doesn't let you take piecemeal; it's the entirety of your soul or nothing.
  13. #13  
    Aw yeah. Seems like HP Play has progressed further than the recent article would have made us believe after all.

    If HP is doing its homework, Play will be Synergy-enabled and allow you to add all your online and offline music to a database from whence you can play all of it. Have a google music account? Amazon mp3s? Add the accounts to Synergy and your music will be in your Music app. Have offline mp3s? Let a program scan your library and you can immediately access them with an internet connection.

    What I want to know is how much the service will cost us... Because HP will have to pay licensing fees just like Apple is.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  14. #14  
    I don't have high hopes, as long as HP doesn't even offer Amazon MP3 in Europe.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Aw yeah. Seems like HP Play has progressed further than the recent article would have made us believe after all.

    If HP is doing its homework, Play will be Synergy-enabled and allow you to add all your online and offline music to a database from whence you can play all of it. Have a google music account? Amazon mp3s? Add the accounts to Synergy and your music will be in your Music app. Have offline mp3s? Let a program scan your library and you can immediately access them with an internet connection.

    What I want to know is how much the service will cost us... Because HP will have to pay licensing fees just like Apple is.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I highly doubt Google and Amazon would hand over the keys to their services for inclusion into synergy.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I highly doubt Google and Amazon would hand over the keys to their services for inclusion into synergy.
    Why not? They want the service to succeed. If HP makes a good frontend for their services it will be a win-win situation.
  17. #17  
    I don't know that there are open API's for those services, for one thing. At least, not yet.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I highly doubt Google and Amazon would hand over the keys to their services for inclusion into synergy.
    Surely encouraging new users is exactly what Google and Amazon would want?

    Google is a question-mark given it's relationship with Android, but I can't see anything stopping Amazon providing it's possible.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    They won't. If you love iTunes, you are stuck in an Apple ecosystem. Apple doesn't let you take piecemeal; it's the entirety of your soul or nothing.
    I'm not stuck.. I have a MediaMonkey library backed up, an iTunes library backed up, and a JRiver library (which is the most current) that I use every day now to sync with my Pre+/2.

    I just LOVE the fantastic smart playlists and the way iTunes handles them. I know other players have smart playlists, but iTunes has THE BEST ones. It's a push / pull relationship.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  20. #20  
    And I'm a basic drag and drop type of person. I love the environment that allows all of us to access music in our preferred way.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions