Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    See, this is why it's best not to allow reviews of unreleased products, good or bad. I agree with nappy, fake reviews are fake reviews. People should have just posted rebuttals under the first fake review. Now I know the ones on BB are unreliable and to look here for true user reviews. But what about the general public who rarely visits these types of sites?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You don't think posting a 5 star review is as inherently dishonest as posting a 2 star review considering the product is nearly 2 weeks away from launch?
    I don't think either is dishonest when (as previously stated) one describes the basis of the reviewers experience, and the review and is factually accurate in their descriptions. The review in question did neither. This gives a reader no basis for evaluation of the review.

Sadly many 'professional' reviewers do the same shoddy things when they write reviews of, or vote on the best of books, movies (the Oscars), music (the Grammys), and electronics

If those making the rebuttals followed that pattern (no baseline and no accuracy), I'd find fault with them too.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    I guess I'm just confused. What do you think a user submitted 5 star review of an unreleased product means?
    I guess I'm just confused. What do you think a user submitted 5 star review of an unreleased product means?
    i don't care if they submitted 700 stars or -10 stars. if they are factual, informative, and/or helpful in their review, then it is a good one.
    How can anyone who never used the product give a "factual, informative, and/or helpful" review? Unless they're just giving a review of the specs. That doesn't tell me how the product actually works and the user experience though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yeah im gonna post something also. I hate people that think they know what they are talking about but actually really REALLY don't. What a loser. I hate that guy. Lol
    Last edited by estebancam; 06/19/2011 at 11:43 PM.
    As useless as the 1 star reviews, or any star reviews for that matter. Because they are actually opinions based on the specs or what they read, and not true reviews.

Man! I swear we have the absolute BEST community of any operating system by far! I love it! I mean what other website would have intelligently bombarded that guy with positive things about the product?

iPhone users would not have even known how to log on, or perhaps even input a website.
    Android users would have gone back to their rooting.
    Blackberry users would not have the time to be on a blog.
    Windows phone doesnt have that much support yet.

Only precentral with webos would be able to pull this. !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    How can anyone who never used the product give a "factual, informative, and/or helpful" review? Unless they're just giving a review of the specs. That doesn't tell me how the product actually works and the user experience though.
    while most of them most likely haven't used a touchpad. there are many people who were at HP events that have held and used them. how can we know that one of those reviewers inst an HP rep who was trained on it?

there is a lot of information out there about what the touchpad can and will be able to do. this is the information that is factual and helpful. its not necessarily personal experiences though, so i see where you come from, but still. it doesn't bother me. its information that is blatantly false and misleading to the potential customer that bothers me.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    i don't care if they submitted 700 stars or -10 stars. if they are factual, informative, and/or helpful in their review, then it is a good one.
    When I'm about to purchase a product I don't know much about, I tend to look at the stars ratings for the majority of the reviews. It's supposed to be a subjective rating of a person's view of what they think of the product. Just like Ebay. A few bad ratings can cause doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    When I'm about to purchase a product I don't know much about, I tend to look at the stars ratings for the majority of the reviews. It's supposed to be a subjective rating of a person's view of what they think of the product. Just like Ebay. A few bad ratings can cause doubt.
    Right. A 2 star review 2 weeks before the TouchPad is even available hurts the perception of the product. A 5 star review 2 weeks before the TouchPad is available might help the tablet's perception. Both are equally dishonest, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    this is true. and i agree. which is why i think the negative and misleading review is bad.

let me make it clear that i don't think it is right that people are posting reviews of it already, but at the same time i don't think the 12 people that gave it a good review are really being dishonest.

Both are equally dishonest, though.
    and again, just because a product hasn't been released doesn't mean the reviewer hasn't used one.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    it's just sad. Why do people go out of their way to spread disinformation to steer people away from webOS? This is so widespread.
    I don't see that as any different than the trolls that set up house right here on this forum. None of that really makes any sense to me, but it does appear to be pretty much the same thing. - It's not what I choose, and I'm so lacking in self-confidence, I must persuade everyone that my choice is right.
    Trolling or not, what's up with the reviews before the product is even available??? Am I to assume everyone that reviewed it on the BB site has early-release models? NOT! All pre-release reviews needs to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I almost agree, but many people do NOT read tech blogs and will look at a review on a "Best Buy" type site and factor in what they read before making a decision. As mentioned earlier, this is done all the time. My only beef is with disclosure - what forms the basis for the opinion, and accuracy - is it true, and it it possible to assess based on your experience.

While news travels fast, bad news travels faster. We tend to be naturally somewhat suspicious of the positive news and more trusting of bad news. There have been dozens of reviews of tech products based on a stage demo at a trade show, or a early beta release of a product. As long as that is disclosed up front, I'm not seeing the issue.

The bad and factually inaccurate review will hurt more than any positive reviews. But, again, if the positive reviews don't hold the the standards mentioned above, THEN I'd have a problem with them.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    If any reviews say "this product will fail" before the product is released and it's not someone with a review unit, then it's a useless review that needs to be deleted. Giving an opinion is one thing, posting opinion as a review is why no site should allow reviews before the product release.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123